The Student Room Group

Advice on driving instructor?

I started my lessons over 2 months ago back in the beginning of June. I prepaid for a 10 hour block as it worked out cheaper. I've had 5 lessons so far and feel like I've made no progress at all because we do the same thing each lesson. We usually go to fairly quiet roads where she makes me drive a short distance and practice my steering and then pull up on the left. We then switch seats so she can pull back out and turn us around for me to then repeat it again. We've only ever changed gears twice, apart from that I've been driving in first gear this whole time.

Despite the fact I'm not happy with the actual lessons themselves she also keeps cancelling last minute. After 3 of my lessons she informed me she was going on holiday for a few weeks so my next lesson wouldn't be until next month. Surely she should have told me this before allowing me to book with her? She had to cancel my last lesson before she went away because of a flat tyre (I know this can't be helped.) Since coming back I've only had 1 lesson with her on the 27th July because she cancelled my other 2. At first it was a migraine and then the week after that it was a sickness bug.

This morning I was due to have a lesson with her but got the times mixed up. I thought it was 9:30 when it was in fact 9:00 but I'd realised too late and she was gone. She text to say she waited outside my house for 10 minutes but assumed I slept in so left. I know this was my fault but why didn't she at least text or call me to let me know she was there? So now within the past 7 weeks of her going on holiday and being unwell I've only had 1 lesson!

I'd like to change instructors because consistency is necessary for me as I don't get any practice outside of my lessons (parents don't drive.) I'm not going to learn anything if I keep having to wait weeks before lessons! I feel stuck though as I pre paid for the lessons and still have another 5 to go with her.

I'd really like to hear other people's opinions on the situation.
Original post by Peachydust
I started my lessons over 2 months ago back in the beginning of June. I prepaid for a 10 hour block as it worked out cheaper. I've had 5 lessons so far and feel like I've made no progress at all because we do the same thing each lesson. We usually go to fairly quiet roads where she makes me drive a short distance and practice my steering and then pull up on the left. We then switch seats so she can pull back out and turn us around for me to then repeat it again. We've only ever changed gears twice, apart from that I've been driving in first gear this whole time.

Despite the fact I'm not happy with the actual lessons themselves she also keeps cancelling last minute. After 3 of my lessons she informed me she was going on holiday for a few weeks so my next lesson wouldn't be until next month. Surely she should have told me this before allowing me to book with her? She had to cancel my last lesson before she went away because of a flat tyre (I know this can't be helped.) Since coming back I've only had 1 lesson with her on the 27th July because she cancelled my other 2. At first it was a migraine and then the week after that it was a sickness bug.

This morning I was due to have a lesson with her but got the times mixed up. I thought it was 9:30 when it was in fact 9:00 but I'd realised too late and she was gone. She text to say she waited outside my house for 10 minutes but assumed I slept in so left. I know this was my fault but why didn't she at least text or call me to let me know she was there? So now within the past 7 weeks of her going on holiday and being unwell I've only had 1 lesson!

I'd like to change instructors because consistency is necessary for me as I don't get any practice outside of my lessons (parents don't drive.) I'm not going to learn anything if I keep having to wait weeks before lessons! I feel stuck though as I pre paid for the lessons and still have another 5 to go with her.

I'd really like to hear other people's opinions on the situation.

Change instructors. You won’t be affected at this stage because pupils who are typically have more than 15 lessons and the change of instructors sets them back.

I got rid of my instructor after my first lesson (for a different reason) and the one I restarted with was far more productive in teaching.

It looks like they might be looking to pump as much money out of you as possible.

These instructors are also being stupid in other ways; they should be offering a satisfactory customer experience too - which is certainly not the case here.
Original post by BusinessExpert
Change instructors. You won’t be affected at this stage because pupils who are typically have more than 15 lessons and the change of instructors sets them back.

I got rid of my instructor after my first lesson (for a different reason) and the one I restarted with was far more productive in teaching.

It looks like they might be looking to pump as much money out of you as possible.

These instructors are also being stupid in other ways; they should be offering a satisfactory customer experience too - which is certainly not the case here.

I just messaged my instructor about getting a refund for the remaining lessons. She replied saying she's not surprised as I'm struggling! She obviously isn't too happy.
I just messaged my instructor about getting a refund for the remaining lessons. She replied saying she's not surprised as I'm struggling! She obviously isn't too happy.

Yeah, that’s just a horrible instructor right there. Everyone learns at different rates and the end result is the same anyway, in becoming a competent driver and passing the test.
Yeah, that’s just a horrible instructor right there. Everyone learns at different rates and the end result is the same anyway, in becoming a competent driver and passing the test.

My lack of progress is a reflection of her teaching. She just wanted to see how much money she could get out of me. She even had the cheek to say 'it was clear I didn't enjoy the lessons.'
My lack of progress is a reflection of her teaching. She just wanted to see how much money she could get out of me. She even had the cheek to say 'it was clear I didn't enjoy the lessons.'

That’s terrible, I mean you could even report her. And, yeah, of course the lack of progress made would be down to her, is she blaming the cat?

Learning to drive is a requirement and involves a lot of pressure; obviously it’s not going to be enjoyable if you’re throwing away money and receiving poor instruction.

You made the right decision. Good luck with your future lessons!
(edited 5 years ago)
That’s terrible, I mean you could even report her. And, yeah, of course the lack of progress made would be down to her, is she blaming the cat?

Learning to drive is a requirement and involves a lot of pressure; obviously it’s not going to be enjoyable if you’re throwing away money and receiving poor instruction.

You made the right decision. Good luck with your future lessons!

I wanted to give her a chance but looking back there were warning signs early on. I made her aware of my anxiety issues and from the first lesson (before I'd actually driven yet), she kept going on and on about how much easier an automatic car would be. She wasn't very supportive or encouraging at all. Her respond to me asking for a refund has just made me 100% sure I made the right decision. I'm looking forward to future lessons with a better instructor.
I wanted to give her a chance but looking back there were warning signs early on. I made her aware of my anxiety issues and from the first lesson (before I'd actually driven yet), she kept going on and on about how much easier an automatic car would be. She wasn't very supportive or encouraging at all. Her respond to me asking for a refund has just made me 100% sure I made the right decision. I'm looking forward to future lessons with a better instructor.

The idea of switching to driving an automatic car before you have barely got into learning in a manual can be really confusing. I remember when I was told I only started making real progress in the 20th lesson or something.

Not every instructor has patience (I’m talking about when pupils fail their test more than three times) but to effectively push someone out after the fifth lesson is ridiculous to say the least.
The idea of switching to driving an automatic car before you have barely got into learning in a manual can be really confusing. I remember when I was told I only started making real progress in the 20th lesson or something.

Not every instructor has patience (I’m talking about when pupils fail their test more than three times) but to effectively push someone out after the fifth lesson is ridiculous to say the least.

She's just off the phone to me. She's claiming that she told me before I transferred the money for the lessons that she was going away for 3 weeks. She's lying. She only told me this after my first couple of lessons and she had my money! She's marked today as a no show even though she never bothered to text, call or come to my door. Yet she thinks it's okay to cancel my lessons 20 minutes beforehand! When I pointed out the fact she could have text me instead of just sitting outside she replied saying that no instructor ever does that and she's not here to 'nurse me'. She seems to think I'm completely incapable of anything because of my anxiety. She started arguing down the phone that I'm too nervous and need to drive an automatic. I've got a feeling she's going to give me a lot of bother about getting my money back now but I'm glad I got rid of her. She done nothing but shout down the phone the whole time. Yes, I am a nervous driver but bringing me down when I've only done 5 hours of lessons isn't going to boost my confidence.
She's just off the phone to me. She's claiming that she told me before I transferred the money for the lessons that she was going away for 3 weeks. She's lying. She only told me this after my first couple of lessons and she had my money! She's marked today as a no show even though she never bothered to text, call or come to my door. Yet she thinks it's okay to cancel my lessons 20 minutes beforehand! When I pointed out the fact she could have text me instead of just sitting outside she replied saying that no instructor ever does that and she's not here to 'nurse me'. She seems to think I'm completely incapable of anything because of my anxiety. She started arguing down the phone that I'm too nervous and need to drive an automatic. I've got a feeling she's going to give me a lot of bother about getting my money back now but I'm glad I got rid of her. She done nothing but shout down the phone the whole time. Yes, I am a nervous driver but bringing me down when I've only done 5 hours of lessons isn't going to boost my confidence.

Don’t worry, you’ll see everything differently if you get with a half decent instructor.

If you don’t mind me asking, how old are you?
Don’t worry, you’ll see everything differently if you get with a half decent instructor.

If you don’t mind me asking, how old are you?

I'm 17.
I'm 17.

I’m 18 now but a year ago my instructor treated me like an older individual, whereas here you being 17 might have resulted in yours becoming annoyed. She might hate kids?
She teaches a lot of other people my age so I don't think it's that. She did get a comment in before about how everyone else gets practice outside of their lessons with their parents and maybe I could do the junior driving lessons in between my lessons with her. If she was doing her job properly then I shouldn't have to be paying extra for more lessons elsewhere. It just gave me the impression she couldn't be bothered.
Have you received your refund yet?
Original post by username4213956

I'd argue that she had various 'no shows' as 20 minutes notice is a joke - she must have known before that. Is she part of a Driving School? I would certainly take this further ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending