The Student Room Group

Cyber security or med?

Help please, going into yr13 but my school makes us announce our uni courses in the first week(something about being prepared, annoying but probs a good idea). I'm stuck between medicine or cyber security. I love the idea of doing both, and I've done multiple courses/work.e for both, and I still can't decide. I've done well enough and got exactly the same grades in maths and bio, so that doesn't help either.

Anyone got any suggestions one way or another?
Doesn't matter how trivial, I'm honestly so stuck anything could help.
Original post by Dontkmowwhat
Help please, going into yr13 but my school makes us announce our uni courses in the first week(something about being prepared, annoying but probs a good idea). I'm stuck between medicine or cyber security. I love the idea of doing both, and I've done multiple courses/work.e for both, and I still can't decide. I've done well enough and got exactly the same grades in maths and bio, so that doesn't help either.

Anyone got any suggestions one way or another?
Doesn't matter how trivial, I'm honestly so stuck anything could help.

The two are vastly different :frown:

Medicine is like a lifestyle in my opinion - you're on call, long hours and it's just very, very stressful in general. The salary isn't as lucrative as one would expect either.

CompSci/InfoSec, on the other hand, seems much more lax and quite frankly, pays more + takes a lot less time to get into that doing a PMQ + years of training.

I hate saying this, but it really is completely up to you. Good luck.
If you choose to do medicine, I think it’s five years in uni compared to three if you did cyber security so bare that in mind. I think both are going to be lucrative jobs, I reckon a career in cyber security will be a lot less stressful. Either way both degrees are going to be incredibly useful and desirable into the far future so neither is a bad choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending