The Student Room Group

Anon_98's first year at university

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anon_98
Update for 28/08/2018

12:36 - In such an irritable mood today I cannot cope. But you'll be pleased to know I've had such a change of heart regarding upholstering since my last post - I have now re-vamped 2 more items and they all look so lush in the glossy white, I love it and I think everyone should do it and literally ignore me from before. Don't know why I was being so moody haha. Like, instead of buying lots of new boxes and things for uni just get creative with your old items that you don't want + you might not have to purchase quite so many. Also you'd think that as an art student I would be absolutely used to a bit of paint on me but gloss feels a lot different to acrylic so do bear with. Like, acryclic, gouache, watercolours are all comforting + warm, gloss was intrusive + bad. Gloss is *now* comforting + warm too though.

I did just go out with white flecks on my face though, I don't know how it got on my eyelids of all places to be honest. Impressive at the very least. Basically went to the bank to change my account into a student one but the man said that I have to do it online or over the phone bc they don't do it in the branches anymore which was really annoying bc I went all that way for no reason. I'm now home and I've just applied online and they said it'll take up to five days so yeah. I'm just glad I've sorted it out tbh, I've been meaning to do it for months.

I'm currently on natwest btw and like, yeah I've heard great things about santander absolutely everywhere but I just can't be bothered to change banks. I like natwest + I've been with them forever and so I'm just going to remain a loyal customer cause I don't consider the difference to be that vast and if I do it on santander then I'll have to go through a much longer process which is just more work for me + I don't want to do that. Whereas with natwest they're only converting my current account so I didn't need to do half as much. I'm really not fussed on getting the best deal to be honest. Besides, the railcard they offer wouldn't be much use to me bc I can't imagine I'll be travelling back and forth a great deal. However, if you're currently stuck on choosing a bank to open a student account with then yeah, probably go with santander. Unless you don't care in which case do what ya like.

15:40 - hi so I've just returned from a uni shop, I'll do a little haul for you as soon as I get out of these clothes.

17:14 - so this afternoon i went to buy things for my bathroom and bedroom. i was initially going to go to dunelm bc that's where i always get my bathmats, bedsheets and towels from but it's so far away and i just couldn't be bothered for around 3 hours total travel time so i thought i'd try out primark instead + it was so much cheaper and i'm really pleased with everything i got tbh. literally can't believe i didn't think of it before. i also went to wilkos cause lots of people were recommending it in protostar's thread + it was also very good.

so the first thing i got was this like grey duvet set. it's got like mini geometric patterns on it in like different colours and i thought it'd be really funky. it's predominantly grey there but i really do like the little splashes of colour so yeah got that.

then i got these teal cushions, i'm not really sure what colour this is to be honest. sort of like slightly more green than teal but yeah really lovely colour and they came in a two pack + i thought this would go really well with my duvet set bc some of the little geometric patterns have the same shade of teal on it so i thought that was quite fitting.

then i got a throw. now i wanted a teal/sea green throw but they didn't have a small one, they only had like a gigantic extra large thing which was just impractical so i just got a regular sized grey throw instead and that was really cheap, £4, and probably a better colour choice tbh.

then to complement and balance out my grey throw, from wilkos i got this really cute grey almost poodle fur style cushion so like little coiled wool kinda design and i think this is really cute and works really well with my duvet and other items. it's a bit bigger than my other two cushions but i think it's perfect. this was really cheap too - at a cost of £6.

going back to primark, i also got a mattress protector cause we are important and what says self care more than a good old microfibre cover.

moving onto the bathroom section. i got an extra large towel in the same shade of teal/green. cause it was really cheap i thought i might as well just go for the largest one there but yeah this is probably too gigantic, could be a blanket tbh.

next i bought some face cloths and a bathmat. I got a grey bath mat to keep to my apparent theme.

i also got a little bin for the bathroom cause i think i only get a bedroom one from the accommodation people. i also got a little storage tray thing in the same woven design and those were both in the student section of wilkinsons and they were a bargain so i just couldn't help myself.

then i grabbed some mini pegs and those were like 75p so that was really fab.

i was walking past the kitchen bit and got a new mug bc i thought it was really cute and its pastel pink which is really cute too and i thought it goes really well with everything so yeah i just bought that too.

and finally i got myself some tea towels. when i went to ikea to do my kitchen shop, i completely forgot about the tea towels so i'm glad that this is now ticked off.

but yeah that's everything. i'm fairly pleased with my purchases and it seems that we're going for this like grey/pink/blue-green theme which was entirely unplanned but i'm happy with that and i'm looking forward to seeing what it's all going to look like in my new room. i'd really recommend going to the above stores if you're going to university, i'm so glad that i took the easier decision today and didn't exhaust myself out bc not only was it convenient but i managed to get everything i needed - you're going to have buy a whole set of new things for second year anyway so it doesn't have to be the bestest quality as you would have at home, though i do think everything i purchased is more than adequate quality esp for a student. i've still got quite a few bits to purchase but we are getting there, we are definitely getting there.

i don't actually get a toaster or kettle in my shared kitchen but i'm not buying these things bc a) i think it'll be easier to discuss, buy + split when i get to uni b) i can imagine a few of the other students have probably bought one already and so it's likely that there's going to multiple sets of appliances when we arrive unless they've found each other online and arranged something i don't know.

i'm now very tired so i'm gonna post this then chill out for a bit then probably spend my evening doing a bit more packing. i hate doing this like ugh is there anyone out there who will do it for me. but yeah i'll put some music on and eat bad food whilst i'm arranging + stuff and i'll probably eventually manage an hour or two. Goodbye for now.

Glad you managed to sort out your bank account and get some more of your shopping done! Am all excited for you :smile:
:hugs:
subscribed
Reply 22
Update for 29/08/2018

13:40 - Ok hello, so I went to the doctors this morning then when I came back home I continued packing and I've just realised I need to go and purchase a new charger for my phone bc mine has entirely broke and like nothing is reviving it anymore, not even a really hard wire squeeze. Like, I was going to attempt to get through this very trying time + not bother replacing it until I actually willingly want to go outside but I soon realised that I will need my phone these next few days so yes I'm going out into the big bad world + hopefully i will return with an item that ensures my portable handheld device is fuelled and nothing less.

Whilst I'm already out there I might try and get a few more uni items. Maybe a door stop can be today's target. Everyone knows that you can't possibly make an acquaintance without one, let alone a *friend*. So you know, i'm gonna conform and i'm gonna buy a door stop and i'll leave my door open to every single stranger in the hope that i look approachable, or something.

14:58 - i've finally got my grapes that i've been craving all day and i'm so content right now. mmm yah give me all that crispy seedless goodness.

15:00 - i'm now home btw, i went to tesco + purchased my charger and i'm gonna charge my phone very soon, didn't manage to get the all important door stop bc couldn't find one but im going out again in a bit so maybe i'll find it then.

18:45 - So for dinner today I have made a pea, quorn pieces + goat's cheese risotto + who even am i anymore.

21:56 - Just got back from a little shop. I'll do another uni haul, I don't know if this is interesting + it's only going to be a small one but as before it might be helpful if it outlines anything you've forgotten so yeah.

So I went back to primark and the first thing I got was a white full length dressing gown and i quite like this one cause it's like textured rather than just plain if that makes sense. the only thing was they were out of stock in my size and there were only lots of larges left so i just got a large meaning it's pretty oversized on me but i don't really mind too much, if at all.

then i got some white memory foam slippers and i thought these would accompany my gown quite nicely. they're super soft and they were really good value so i would recommend. i got them in a medium cause i kinda prefer having a bit of space for my feet to move around in but small would probably be fine too and yeah these are quite nice. they have them in a few other colours like blue, pink, possibly grey if you're into any of that.

next i got a pack of basic black ankle socks cause you apparently can never buy too many. a single black ankle sock is like good food, you spend money on it thinking it'll last long enough to appreciate but it almost immediately disappears and you are almost always incredibly shocked at how quickly it no longer exists. somewhere in this world all my black ankle socks are having a big fat party and i'm clearly not invited. anyway, i'm determined to keep a very close eye on these ones. no *escaping.*

then i got a pack of what primark calls 'seamless footies'. now i'm sorry but i don't know why they feel the need to make the photo on the packaging appear so sultry. was that necessary. i mean i am wearing these for myself, stop making me feel scandalous for purchasing what is more commonly regarded as invisible socks.

after that i went to m + s and i also got myself some lovely lingerie bc i just wanted a few new ones. new underwear is always very nice so that has made me happy. i literally got myself 15 pairs of knickers like i don't treat myself to knickers everyday so personally 15 is overboard for me and i probably should've stopped at like number 6 but i didn't and i have no regrets. didn't get as many bras though so that's fine and probably makes up for it.

finally i went to boots and got myself some chapstick bc mine has run out so i just needed some more and that was more of an everyday thing really rather than a uni item. but yeah that's all for today. didn't get my door stop so basically i failed but i'm glad i've completed a few more things off my list.

tomorrow i'll probably spend the day doing unrelated things bc i'm tired and i feel so crappy so i just don't want to do anything productive. until next time, goodnight.

Oh god ik what you mean about gloss and whatnot, our art teacher was obsessed with getting us to do a million emulsion prints and yeh it really is an unpleasant paint compared to acrylics etc, so globby and :yucky:
Fluffeh slippers :gah:
Dressing gown :awesome: I basically live in mine, such an essential!

You’ve also reminded me I need to buy a door stop :yes:
I swear that the washing machine eats my socks.
Reply 26
Update for 30/08/2018

15:06 - omg i just logged into my portal thing to check if i have received my timetable yet and i finally have and oh my this is so exciting oh my gosh.

15:27 - Ok so this is all very exciting. I've had a proper look at it and I'm so buzzed. The earliest I have are 10am starts which is pretty good bc it's not 9am. So my monday for the first week is slightly different to the rest of the weeks but after that it gets fairly consistent.

So basically I have uni for 4 days of the week. I have thursdays and ofc the weekend off which is nice. For the first monday I have a 10am - 5pm block but after that week it's split into two segments so I have a studio thing from 10-1 then I have a seminar from 2-4pm.

Then on tuesdays I start at 2pm which is lovely and I have a studio thing from 2-5pm.

Then on wednesdays I have a spatial drawing thing from 10-12 then I have a studio thing from 2-5pm again.

Thursdays, as mentioned, is a free day.

Finally on fridays I have a spatial drawing thing from 10am -1pm but I also have a whole studio block from 10am -5pm. That feels really intense and I don't know why I have a clash but yeah aha.

I don't get to pick any modules in my first year which is absolutely fine but yeah I'm so excited I'm gonna scream. I might create a little timetable for myself right now that I can print off for my room.

17:32 - Ok I've just finished making my timetable. So I used the get revising website to create it bc I couldn't find a better place to do it tbh + it was pretty simple + great. After I'd made it, I edited all my headers cause I didn't like the ones that get revising used. They basically provided specific dates on the headers which makes it really inconvenient cause otherwise you'll have to keep updating your poster for example 'mon 24th' + so I wanted something uniform that I wouldn't have to keep replacing + now I'm perfectly happy with it. If you're planning on making your own timetable then I'd say the get revising template is a good foundation to build it from. So yes, I'll print this off when I can + stick it up somewhere on a wall when I arrive.

Obviously I could've simply used the one my uni provided but I wanted something a bit easier to look at with less information compacted all over it + to be honest it isn't very pretty either. I'll defo still use it for practical reasons, especially when I'm unfamiliar with everything at the start bc i'll need to know room names + stuff but I think the one I've just made will be a lot more helpful later on into my course when I just need to know what's on tomorrow really quick etc. I'd be lying if I said I didn't try + colour match my new timetable to my decor hahahah.

Well, that was all fun. My body aches so I'm gonna go for a bath. Goodbye for now.

Woo timetables!

(I really love seeing other people's timetables - am I a nerd?) :biggrin:
Original post by Anon_98
So the past week I have spent time with friends, given away 70% of my clothes to charity meaning I need to purchase new ones very soon unless I want to rock up in underwear everyday, planned a trip to dunelm mill so I can buy out the entire store which I am still yet to do, slowly started packing my existence into cardboard boxes, booked my accommodation moving in slot and groaned at every single ucas email I've received. So. Many. Emails.

Some call it getting ready for university, I call it no thanks.

I'm Anon and last academic year I created a blog which helped me in so many ways therefore I'm creating another one in the hope that I can make the absolute most of my uni experience.

I feel like i've waited rather long to get to university + so i'm really looking forward to recording my journey. I also don't think there are enough university blogs on tsr and so i'd really like to be a step towards changing that.

I'm feeling so nervous, I have so many pent up worries. I'm worried about my flatmates, I'm so worried that I'll have a horrid mix of people. I'm worried that I won't get along with any of them. I'm worried I won't make friends. I'm worried no one will like me oh my like why am i even worried about this ??? who wouldn't like me.

I'm even worried I won't get good freezer space.

What is bad freezer space.

Can I possibly calm down.

I haven't joined any of the facebook groups bc I'm currently relishing my last moments and so I don't have a clue who I'm staying with. Quite honestly I just cannot be bothered + want to wait for in-person interaction bc it's so much easier so I'm hoping my lack of web effort won't make a difference. It probably won't no one really cares. Besides it'll be so much more exciting if I don't get to know them all beforehand. First impressions are fun.

I also really hope I'm placed with like-minded people. I had to do this mega long personality questionnaire thing a couple months ago in order to find my compatible set of students but I just hope they've got it right. At the moment all I can think about is being put with six weirdos who all leave raw chicken on the kitchen counter. That's gonna be like six chicken thighs that I don't want to deal with. I'm a vegetarian it's gonna be practically harassment.

I mention six people but the truth is I don't even know how many people I'm staying with - you could say I'm well prepared.

Paid for rent yesterday so we're officially moving up in the world.

Can I just say how glad I am to be back blogging. I had all these troubles stored within me for ages bc I didn't know where to post them since my last blog was over and so I felt totally lost in transition and basically had a meltdown last night bc I couldn't decide on a blogging platform but I am now releasing them to thousands of strangers at last and heck, once again, it feels great.

As for the bucket list thing, part of me totally wants to meet 300 new people and join six societies whilst solo canoeing every saturday but well, I can't help but feel this is all a big step in itself and I don't want a bucket list to be my main focus - which will inevitably happen if I participate bc I'll probably set *sky-high* aspirations. If I only end up meeting 100 people and only end up joining two societies then I want to be satisfied without feeling like I've failed myself. To avoid putting any extra pressure on me in what I imagine will already be an overflowing year, I won't be doing a bucket list in my blog.

So in this thread i'll be recording mainly my days at university, settling in, assignments, coursework I need to complete, flatmates and how i find them, societies, budgeting, unaesthetic meals, aesthetic city explorations, generally just my daily life at university.

The aim for my last blog was to post twice a week but I managed to greatly exceed that. Therefore I'll hopefully be able to retain a similar level of commitment this year.

Obviously, I am currently immensely excited about my course, I simply cannot wait + I hope my current love for it only grows. Additionally, I want to get involved in lots of things this year and I wish to develop further as a young individual + therefore I do hope the wait + the struggle to get here proves worth it.

Now that's all finally off my chest I should probably go back to sorting out my emails and crying about my future living situation.

Only two more weeks until I move out. - guess I'll see you then.

Thank you for reading.

Good luck, Anon! If you need any advice just drop me a PM.
Your timetable is beautiful and empty, I'm so jealous :cry:
Original post by Protostar
Your timetable is beautiful and empty, I'm so jealous :cry:

That's because creative courses tend to have a lot more outside work especially if you are doing a live project. Most of my lectures are just to set the brief then you have to do a load in your own time. It's all the same amount of work roughly from one course to another just design courses have much less contact time than more academic courses like maths.
Original post by CoolCavy
That's because creative courses tend to have a lot more outside work especially if you are doing a live project. Most of my lectures are just to set the brief then you have to do a load in your own time. It's all the same amount of work roughly from one course to another just design courses have much less contact time than more academic courses like maths.

Yeah I know the reasons why, just can't help looking longingly at how empty it is :lol:
I have 6 hours of lectures on a Monday, pray 4 me :emo:
Reply 32
Update for 31/08/2018

05:55 - wow morning just had a dream about university and studying my course and the building was so lovely and there was this one segment where i was really worried i wouldn't get into a good group for the assigned group work but thank god i got into a good group lmao. it's 6am and i can't stop laughing.

11:44 - lol i literally don't know why i wrote that down when i was beyond half asleep and i don't know why i sound so excited about it either jeez. anyway i've been getting semi-crafty again. so, i've just printed out my timetable that i created yesterday and i've cut it to size bc it is a slightly smaller rectangle than the a4. after that i put it in a plastic wallet and cut that to size too so both mediums were aligned. i basically don't have a laminating machine and this is the next best thing for me haha, so the reason why i've 'laminated' it is bc i think it'll be really incredibly useful to use as a sort of whiteboard. like, if i add my commitments and things into the blank spaces every week then it'll help me keep track of what's going on + i'll be able to reuse it in this way over and over which i think will be super valuable for me.

i honestly cannot wait for a routine again, the wait to finally have a proper schedule back in my life is killing me.

17:54 - hi I've just created my weekly meal plan for when i'm at university and I've done this bc I really do want to try my best to eat healthier this year + I feel by planning it all out in advance it will be easier to achieve. I also think it'll be easier to do my shopping and I do aim to create meals which are not only healthy but at a low cost too.

So for mondays I've decided on a cheese toastie for lunch and an avocado wrap for dinner. I think this will be really simple, quick and yum and I literally love toasties so it's a good way to start my week. Mondays are incredibly blah and so I already know I won't want to make anything too difficult hence why I've chosen two very amateur dishes. Additionally, I have 5 hours on a monday so I'll probably be tired therefore I think this is perfect and very achievable.

For tuesdays I've got hummus + vegetables for lunch and then I've got a cheese + tomato pasta for dinner. I have a late start on tuesdays meaning I'll have time to do a bit of cutting and stuff like that. But even though I will have more time than most days, I certainly don't want to be spending loads of time in the kitchen. I also think pasta for the evening will be nice and quick and a good change from monday's bread based dishes.

On wednesday I've picked a cucumber + cheese sandwich for lunch then egg fried noodles for the evening. I want to make sure I'm not just having a basic cheese sandwich everyday so like if I write down that I need to have cucumber too then I'll probably do it.

For thursdays I've decided on a mozzarella, pesto + tomato panini for lunch. Bc I have the day off I thought it'd be nice to have something a bit more substantial and something I can look forward to. Then in the evening again, I want to make something that requires a bit more cooking therefore chose lasagne bc I'll have time for it so why not.

Moving onto friday which is my most hectic day of the week, I've got an egg and lettuce sandwich for lunch and then a sweet potato salad for dinner. I think both these meals are super yum + easy and I will need that reassurance after my 7 hour block at uni + therefore will use simplicity as primary motivation to cook.

Now on saturday I thought I'd go for something a bit naughty but a healthy version of that. So I've got a potato salad for lunch and a bean burger for dinner. I think this will be a nice treat since it's finally the weekend and yeah, I'll probably deserve it.

Finally for sunday I've got french toast for lunch and then veggie pasties for dinner. I made sweet french toast for the first time this summer and it was grand so I think I might alternate between sweet and savoury french toast depending on my mood but yes this is my meal plan sorted.

All of my meals are based on things which I really enjoy eating so I'm not restricting myself in anyway and none of my dishes should take anymore than half an hour to create and I think that's really important for me at least, knowing that I already have an idea of what I can make and knowing that it will be really quick is such a helpful reminder bc usually when I can't think of anything + tired I end up making something dumb or even worse just having a yoghurt pot or something silly. I really do hope and believe that a meal plan is the way forward to ensure I get all my different food groups in ma body and I'm going to be determined to stick to it as best as I can.

As for breakfast, I'm rotating between cereal w milk, granola + yoghurt and toast in order to prevent myself from literally eating toast every morning. I currently just have too much of it and I think even if I do fancy toast on let's say a thursday when I'm meant to consume cereal then I won't give in cause I just don't want to stray from this plan that I've set myself. It may seem relatively strict or as though I'm being too hard on myself or you may even think that I'll get tired of the same meals bc they'll get repetitive but I think it is the best solution right now.

I've logged all my meals down in this planner book thing that I got from paperchase and it's just so perfect cause it has each day sectionalised into three parts. I don't really know what the page on the right is for but I'm going to use it as a check sheet and so if I adhere to my plan then for each day I'll be able to give myself a lil tick since it has everyday of the year on it.

I know I don't make an effort with food atm but that's bc I currently don't have a daily routine anyway so trying to sort food stuff out when my life foundation is a mess is not only unnecessary but a waste of time bc you've got to build the base before you add the glacé cherries. I don't like glacé cherries.

By the way I don't know if I'm just being a naive little fresher for thinking that I'm actually gonna be able to cook something new everyday when I didn't during a level hahah .. also when I get over enthused regarding my future studies I can almost hear a chime of imaginary third years like: oh honey u've got a big old storm coming.

But hey we'll find out soon enough. I've gotta go out for some dinner soon so see ya later cause I really need to get myself ready. Literally still in ma pjs. Goodbye.

Your handwriting is so artsy, I love it :daydreaming: I'm excited to start doing meal plans and stuff too!
Original post by Anon_98
Update for 31/08/2018

05:55 - wow morning just had a dream about university and studying my course and the building was so lovely and there was this one segment where i was really worried i wouldn't get into a good group for the assigned group work but thank god i got into a good group lmao. it's 6am and i can't stop laughing.

11:44 - lol i literally don't know why i wrote that down when i was beyond half asleep and i don't know why i sound so excited about it either jeez. anyway i've been getting semi-crafty again. so, i've just printed out my timetable that i created yesterday and i've cut it to size bc it is a slightly smaller rectangle than the a4. after that i put it in a plastic wallet and cut that to size too so both mediums were aligned. i basically don't have a laminating machine and this is the next best thing for me haha, so the reason why i've 'laminated' it is bc i think it'll be really incredibly useful to use as a sort of whiteboard. like, if i add my commitments and things into the blank spaces every week then it'll help me keep track of what's going on + i'll be able to reuse it in this way over and over which i think will be super valuable for me.

i honestly cannot wait for a routine again, the wait to finally have a proper schedule back in my life is killing me.

17:54 - hi I've just created my weekly meal plan for when i'm at university and I've done this bc I really do want to try my best to eat healthier this year + I feel by planning it all out in advance it will be easier to achieve. I also think it'll be easier to do my shopping and I do aim to create meals which are not only healthy but at a low cost too.

So for mondays I've decided on a cheese toastie for lunch and an avocado wrap for dinner. I think this will be really simple, quick and yum and I literally love toasties so it's a good way to start my week. Mondays are incredibly blah and so I already know I won't want to make anything too difficult hence why I've chosen two very amateur dishes. Additionally, I have 5 hours on a monday so I'll probably be tired therefore I think this is perfect and very achievable.

For tuesdays I've got hummus + vegetables for lunch and then I've got a cheese + tomato pasta for dinner. I have a late start on tuesdays meaning I'll have time to do a bit of cutting and stuff like that. But even though I will have more time than most days, I certainly don't want to be spending loads of time in the kitchen. I also think pasta for the evening will be nice and quick and a good change from monday's bread based dishes.

On wednesday I've picked a cucumber + cheese sandwich for lunch then egg fried noodles for the evening. I want to make sure I'm not just having a basic cheese sandwich everyday so like if I write down that I need to have cucumber too then I'll probably do it.

For thursdays I've decided on a mozzarella, pesto + tomato panini for lunch. Bc I have the day off I thought it'd be nice to have something a bit more substantial and something I can look forward to. Then in the evening again, I want to make something that requires a bit more cooking therefore chose lasagne bc I'll have time for it so why not.

Moving onto friday which is my most hectic day of the week, I've got an egg and lettuce sandwich for lunch and then a sweet potato salad for dinner. I think both these meals are super yum + easy and I will need that reassurance after my 7 hour block at uni + therefore will use simplicity as primary motivation to cook.

Now on saturday I thought I'd go for something a bit naughty but a healthy version of that. So I've got a potato salad for lunch and a bean burger for dinner. I think this will be a nice treat since it's finally the weekend and yeah, I'll probably deserve it.

Finally for sunday I've got french toast for lunch and then veggie pasties for dinner. I made sweet french toast for the first time this summer and it was grand so I think I might alternate between sweet and savoury french toast depending on my mood but yes this is my meal plan sorted.

All of my meals are based on things which I really enjoy eating so I'm not restricting myself in anyway and none of my dishes should take anymore than half an hour to create and I think that's really important for me at least, knowing that I already have an idea of what I can make and knowing that it will be really quick is such a helpful reminder bc usually when I can't think of anything + tired I end up making something dumb or even worse just having a yoghurt pot or something silly. I really do hope and believe that a meal plan is the way forward to ensure I get all my different food groups in ma body and I'm going to be determined to stick to it as best as I can.

As for breakfast, I'm rotating between cereal w milk, granola + yoghurt and toast in order to prevent myself from literally eating toast every morning. I currently just have too much of it and I think even if I do fancy toast on let's say a thursday when I'm meant to consume cereal then I won't give in cause I just don't want to stray from this plan that I've set myself. It may seem relatively strict or as though I'm being too hard on myself or you may even think that I'll get tired of the same meals bc they'll get repetitive but I think it is the best solution right now.

I've logged all my meals down in this planner book thing that I got from paperchase and it's just so perfect cause it has each day sectionalised into three parts. I don't really know what the page on the right is for but I'm going to use it as a check sheet and so if I adhere to my plan then for each day I'll be able to give myself a lil tick since it has everyday of the year on it.

I know I don't make an effort with food atm but that's bc I currently don't have a daily routine anyway so trying to sort food stuff out when my life foundation is a mess is not only unnecessary but a waste of time bc you've got to build the base before you add the glacé cherries. I don't like glacé cherries.

By the way I don't know if I'm just being a naive little fresher for thinking that I'm actually gonna be able to cook something new everyday when I didn't during a level hahah .. also when I get over enthused regarding my future studies I can almost hear a chime of imaginary third years like: oh honey u've got a big old storm coming.

But hey we'll find out soon enough. I've gotta go out for some dinner soon so see ya later cause I really need to get myself ready. Literally still in ma pjs. Goodbye.

Aaah soo excited for you anon! :crazy: wooooo
Original post by Anon_98
Update for 31/08/2018

You have such neat handwriting :yep:

And agreed, cherries are yuck :smile:
Reply 36
05/09/2018

I've been feeling awful lately, I don't know what's wrong with me. I've been sobbing myself to sleep for the past whatever days. My headaches have been so bad that my teeth hurt. And my energy is non-existent so I've just been sleeping my afternoons away. I'm feeling a certain way that I'm ever so familiar with and while there are moments which aren't so bad, there are moments which I just can't cope with + I've just been having one of those latter moments + it's difficult + horrid.

I was really trying to see the best side of things and really trying to start my blog in a more optimistic fashion and I've been staying offsite since I've been feeling so horrid so I wouldn't have to talk about everything bc I just didn't want to be expressive and emotional but I *am* expressive and I just simply cannot store it within me any longer no matter how much I want to.

So in addition to the above, I've suddenly been feeling pre-homesick. Is pre-homesick even a thing. I mean it is clearly a thing if I'm feeling it. I'm starting to walk past objects in my home with a sense of pause about me. Like I stop in my tracks, think about how long i've been around the item then cry buckets that i'll never be around it again.

I am immensely worried and super scared and terrifyingly sad about it all so sad so sad and huge tears - like i am usually confident about things but now i'm crying about the most irrational of things as well as the most rational of things + why am i having all these very weird thoughts amongst it all. this isn't me wtf.

Im also scared that I'll be with a group of people who don't ever leave their room + don't talk + all round anti-social. Like, that would be the worst thing. It actually makes me physically sick thinking about it.

I really do just want a sense of community within my flat, and like cause that's just what I would be most comfortable with and in a way, I probably should've definitely tried to find my fellow housemates online in order to put my mind at ease that they aren't going to be strange folk but well I haven't and so here I am endlessly worrying about it.

I don't know what's wrong with me, I am not this person, this isn't me. Like i'm pretty independent + i know i can be sensitive but why would i be emotional about leaving home, why tf would i be emosh about furniture. I don't understand what my issue is.

Ok no, this is me, I'm a worrier and blah but I just don't like feeling like this.

I guess what I mean is, I didn't expect myself to be so upset about everything so soon and I don't know if it's just the build up to moving away that is heightening everything else and making me like this but it's not nice and I sort of just want to move in already so I can be reassured by the fact it's actually all okay bc I know that it will be.

I was totally prepared for finding it difficult once I arrived but I didn't know it'd happen before I even got there and it's just making me feel so awful.

Obviously I'm not helping myself by literally questioning why I'm so on edge or why I'm having these thoughts and I recognise that I shouldn't be doing it bc it's only natural to be nervous and I'm sure I'm not alone but I feel this pressure to be a lot more positive at the moment than I currently am, and of course that's not to say that I am not looking forward to new experiences and everything else but equally I just can't deal with all these changes that are about to happen and it's just so difficult and so I do feel like I'm being an absolute bummer.

The entire thing honestly just makes me feel super gross and makes me not want to go at all.

Not to sound like a totes mature student but I don't consider the changes to be that vast anyway, like yes I am moving to an entirely new environment and yes I'll be around new people and yes it'll be nerve wracking but I've already had the freedom and learning curve so I won't be exposed to anything that I necessarily won't be able to handle and so I don't understand why I'm not okay bc whilst there are some aspects that will be totally new to me I've already experienced the independence that comes with being a uni student.

Similarly, I know that I will miss my friends dearly when I go but again I don't know why this is upsetting me bc I've had several social groups leave in the past + so i know that it's gonna be ok.

I think a large portion of my worries lie within the surroundings I'll be in. Like, whether I'll feel safe, that's a big one for me. I'm very familiar with my current environment and although sometimes I have my moments I do feel safe here and so I am able to do whatever tf I want without really worrying. Like I can go out for midnight walks without worrying that someone is gonna kill me and I just want to be able to feel safe and comfortable. Safety was actually a big part of making my university choice, like I had an interview at this one place that was so nice and the course sounded stunning and the resources, opportunities, modules, everything were real cool + it was unconditional too but the city just didn't feel safe enough for me and I'm sure a lot of people would be fine living there but for me, I knew that I would just be so anxious living there bc it's so much more like rough than I'm used to + if I have bouts of really stressful thoughts in a place where I know I am fine and perfectly sound, I can't imagine how much more intense they would be in a place where I don't feel fine + so I had to turn it down even though it was a top choice. And reading that back makes me sound a bit snobby but I honestly just get so anxious.

Like I know myself and I know what causes me discomfort and I know what would make things worse for my health and I know that change of life routine upsets me + I do have moments during winter, especially, where out of the blue I'm scared of the dark and walking home alone and sometimes it doesn't even have to be the dark it could be daylight and I'm literally trembling in my boots for no reason and I basically catastrophise a lot and stuff like that and bc I'm off campus I really do hope that the route is all safe and stuff and yeah, it's just really playing on my mind and bringing me to tears. It'll be easier for me if I know that it's safe. The accommodation website said I'm 15 minutes away but I checked the maps today and it said I'm a 22 minute walk and ok whatever 15, 22, either one isn't bad at all and it's good exercise and don't get me wrong I am so glad that I'm off campus bc I think it'll be great for me + I love the place that I chose bc it's nice accommodation but I just want to be able to know that I can live my daily life without feeling nervous about my surroundings and stuff like that.

I'm so glad I booked myself to move in quite a few days before fresher's week bc it'll allow me time to adjust and I don't know how much time I'll need and it's just worrying me.

I guess everything is just starting to feel a bit more real and there's this sense of permanence in the air that I really don't like. I saw some of my friends the other day for like 'the last time' and it all just sunk in and I'm sure I'll be fine once I get there but I just really needed to voice all of this. This time next week I'll have already arrived so there's really not too long now. But yeah think that's all I have to say. Goodnight I guess.
:penguinhug: you can do this. Promise. You've done the hard stuff getting in, you know you can look after yourself and you're really organised with it all and are a great friend. It will be fine :smile: you know where I am if you want me, rant or say whatever, but take one day/hour/minute at a time and just breathe :hugs:
Original post by Anon_98

I'm sorry you've been feeling that way, that sounds awful :console:

It's hard to see now because it's something completely new, but you have totally got this! :heart: You've made it this far, and you're one of the strongest people I know, so you can definitely do it :smile:

I can totally relate with the whole 'sense of permanence' thing. I'm so terrified, but I think I just have to accept that this is just another stage in life that I'm destined to experience, so all I really need to do is make the most of it :yep:

Hope moving in gives you some time to adjust and relax before the bustle, I know you'll settle in great! :hugs:

Original post by furryface12
:penguinhug: you can do this. Promise. You've done the hard stuff getting in, you know you can look after yourself and you're really organised with it all and are a great friend. It will be fine :smile: you know where I am if you want me, rant or say whatever, but take one day/hour/minute at a time and just breathe :hugs:

PRSOM :redface:
Reply 39
Update for 07/09/2018

13:42 - so i woke up in an absolute foul mood today, i dreamt about uni last night lol. so there were about 10 rats and each rat was living in a food bag and for some reason they had to take the meningitis jab and they started getting orgasmic everywhere and i literally woke up at like 5am in a cold sweat thinking i'd just had the worst nightmare of my life. maybe it wasn't about uni.

but but but i've just received an email and it's actually made my day. i basically emailed one of my tutors this really long message consisting of gratitude + my feelings towards the course basically bc i just felt it was necessary and it took me a couple drafts to get it perfect but eventually i managed to send him something which was a bit soppy, possibly too truthful but also pretty touching and i was a bit worried that it was a bit overboard bc you know what i'm like but i received the cutest reply today and it's just made my day. and yeah, it's just brightened up ma week.

was in a bit of a slump but i think i now have the motivation to continue packing lol. goodbye.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending