The Student Room Group

How to become Vegan?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Funkymintbrother
Yeah my bad, just realised there was some sort of glitch.

yeah no worries it did the same to me
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Phew you are making assumptions that my children are smarter than me. You do your cause no good. Prove it

just did, you think a carnivorous diet is healthy lol i dont think any more evidence is needed

Original post by Jono*
So if your dog ran away you wouldn't look for it? You would just leave it to be a stray and live it's life digging in trash until it is euthanized?

if it was lost i would look for it, if it voluntarily wanted to leave me i would call an animal shelter to take them in
Reply 22
Original post by Gent2324
if it was lost i would look for it, if it voluntarily wanted to leave me i would call an animal shelter to take them in

That animal shelter would just euthanize it if nobody takes it, and it would probably be kept in a small cage or concrete cell.

and how would you know if it wanted to leave you or just liked exploring and can't find it's way home?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Jono*
That animal shelter would just euthanize it if nobody takes it, and it would probably be kept in a small cage or concrete cell.

if the dog doesnt want to live with me why is it my responsibility for what others do to it when theyve left? sure its cruel what the animal shelter would do if they were euthanized, but there would be nothing i could do since the dog doesnt want to live with me, id probably ask a friend or relative if they want to look after them, maybe if they could understand that they are going to be killed by the animal shelter then they might change their mind, but unfortunately most animals arent smart enough for that
Reply 24
if the dog doesnt want to live with me why is it my responsibility for what others do to it when theyve left? sure its cruel what the animal shelter would do if they were euthanized, but there would be nothing i could do since the dog doesnt want to live with me, id probably ask a friend or relative if they want to look after them, maybe if they could understand that they are going to be killed by the animal shelter then they might change their mind, but unfortunately most animals arent smart enough for that

Exactly, so you would allow your dog to be put down because he likes escaping, how horrible. Dogs don't commit suicide and if you look after your dog it WILL like you, and it's running away in no way means it doesn't. You would take your dog who loves you to a shelter with the knowledge it will probably be treated badly and eventually put down, while your dog has no idea what is going on. Your dog will not know that running away will lead to him being put down.

Tbh you don't sound like you care about animals at all, I moved halfway across the world and took my dogs with, I would never dream of taking them to a shelter.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Jono*
Exactly, so you would allow your dog to be put down because he likes escaping, how horrible. Dogs don't commit suicide and if you look after your dog it WILL like you, and it's running away in no way means it doesn't. You would take your dog who loves you to a shelter with the knowledge it will probably be treated badly and eventually put down, while your dog has no idea what is going on. Your dog will not know that running away will lead to him being put down.

Tbh you don't sound like you care about animals at all, I moved halfway across the world and took my dogs with, I would never dream of taking them to a shelter.

now youre twisting my words, i never siad that i would take my dog who loves me to a shelter, i specifically said it would be if the dog doesnt want to live with me.
ofcourse he wont know that, and id do everything to prevent them being put down, but theres not always an alternative. id first give them to a relative or friend, if not whats suppose to happen? are you suggesting i just let them go and run off into the sunset and die? id rather they go to an animal shelter where they atleast have a chance rather than just letting them go
Reply 26
now youre twisting my words, i never siad that i would take my dog who loves me to a shelter, i specifically said it would be if the dog doesnt want to live with me.
ofcourse he wont know that, and id do everything to prevent them being put down, but theres not always an alternative. id first give them to a relative or friend, if not whats suppose to happen? are you suggesting i just let them go and run off into the sunset and die? id rather they go to an animal shelter where they atleast have a chance rather than just letting them go

As I've already asked, how would you know it doesn't want to live with you? And do you believe if the dog had knowledge of the alternative it would choose that over living with you? Why would the dog not want to live with you if you look after it and care for it? that just doesn't happen.
Original post by Jono*
As I've already asked, how would you know it doesn't want to live with you? And do you believe if the dog had knowledge of the alternative it would choose that over living with you? Why would the dog not want to live with you if you look after it and care for it? that just doesn't happen.

because if it was lost and i found it, it would react differently depending on whether they want to live with me.
no it wouldnt if it knew, i dont know why the dog wouldnt want to live with me, we are talking completely theoritical here as there are cruel owners etc out there.
i know it doesnt happen, you are the one that asked what i would do if it ran away. and it reminds me, you never answered as to why saturated fat and cholestrol isnt bad for you? also if youre going to cite studies, please explain them to prove u havent just cluelessly googled it
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I have wanted to become a vegan for quite a long time but i don't know exactly where to start. All the products I buy are cruelty free as well as the clothes i buy.

Is there any supplements I need to buy?
is there anything i need to be careful about?

Any tips would be incredibly helpful?

Watch some youtubers who are vegan like Unjaded Jade and Holly Gabriele.. they talk about it, Holly has posted a vegan mac n cheese video.

Holland and Barratt supplements do the job.
I know someone who is vegan and she told me that a person should go vegetarian first, and then begin to slowly cut out the dairy and other foods. My mum tried to cut everything out all at once and it made her really ill, so make sure that you are eating enough and getting all the things you need to be healthy.
I’m vegetarian now and plan on staying like that for a few months before I begin to cut out other foods. I would like to be vegan all in one go but I think a gradual change will make it easier to adapt :smile:
Reply 30
because if it was lost and i found it, it would react differently depending on whether they want to live with me.
no it wouldnt if it knew, i dont know why the dog wouldnt want to live with me, we are talking completely theoritical here as there are cruel owners etc out there.
i know it doesnt happen, you are the one that asked what i would do if it ran away. and it reminds me, you never answered as to why saturated fat and cholestrol isnt bad for you? also if youre going to cite studies, please explain them to prove u havent just cluelessly googled it

actually you brought it up when you said your dog would be free to leave.
there's two types of cholesterol, one of them is very important to have and eggs have it, eggs have the bad type too but it's balanced so overall good, a certain amount of bad cholesterol your body can handle, it's only when you have too much in your blood it becomes an issue. it's debatable whether saturated fat is bad for you or not, but the nutrients and protein in an egg far outweigh any potential side effects.
Reply 31

your argument is the same as saying nuts contain arsenic, so nuts are bad for you, and if you think nuts aren't bad for you prove to me that arsenic isn't bad for you.
Original post by Jono*
actually you brought it up when you said your dog would be free to leave.
there's two types of cholesterol, one of them is very important to have and eggs have it, eggs have the bad type too but it's balanced so overall good, a certain amount of bad cholesterol your body can handle, it's only when you have too much in your blood it becomes an issue. it's debatable whether saturated fat is bad for you or not, but the nutrients and protein in an egg far outweigh any potential side effects.

no thats just not the case. dietary cholestrol raises your serum cholestrol, there is no healthy dietary cholestrol. the cholestrol you are talking about is HDL cholestrol, which is produced in the liver, LDL cholestrol is completely dietary, food does not have HDL cholestrol and LDL cholestrol significantly increases your risk of heart disease which is number 1 or 2 most common cause of death in western civilization.

and the nutrients and protein in an egg certainly do not outweigh the fact that it increases your chance of dying early. 1 egg has 373mg of cholestrol, 3.3g of saturated fat. but it only has 5% of daily calcium, 6% of daily iron, 5% of B6, 10% vitamin A and 21% viamin D. those are not very high figures! so the nutrients definately do not outweigh the saturated fat and cholestrol! and your arguement about its only bad if you have too much is irrelevant, its still unhealthy. thats like saying alcohol is only bad for you if you have alot, doesnt stray from the fact that it is unhealthy and that there are much more healthy options out there
Reply 33
no thats just not the case. dietary cholestrol raises your serum cholestrol, there is no healthy dietary cholestrol. the cholestrol you are talking about is HDL cholestrol, which is produced in the liver, LDL cholestrol is completely dietary, food does not have HDL cholestrol and LDL cholestrol significantly increases your risk of heart disease which is number 1 or 2 most common cause of death in western civilization.

and the nutrients and protein in an egg certainly do not outweigh the fact that it increases your chance of dying early. 1 egg has 373mg of cholestrol, 3.3g of saturated fat. but it only has 5% of daily calcium, 6% of daily iron, 5% of B6, 10% vitamin A and 21% viamin D. those are not very high figures! so the nutrients definately do not outweigh the saturated fat and cholestrol! and your arguement about its only bad if you have too much is irrelevant, its still unhealthy. thats like saying alcohol is only bad for you if you have alot, doesnt stray from the fact that it is unhealthy and that there are much more healthy options out there

there are health benefits to consuming alcohol in moderation, ironically being good for your heart and increasing hdl cholesterol. As for the eggs I'll let this screenshot do the talking if you don't believe me.IMG_20180909_234053_116-compressed.JPG.jpeg
Original post by GSedgley
I know someone who is vegan and she told me that a person should go vegetarian first, and then begin to slowly cut out the dairy and other foods. My mum tried to cut everything out all at once and it made her really ill, so make sure that you are eating enough and getting all the things you need to be healthy.
I’m vegetarian now and plan on staying like that for a few months before I begin to cut out other foods. I would like to be vegan all in one go but I think a gradual change will make it easier to adapt :smile:

I'm sure the animals would be grateful for you putting off going vegan.
Original post by Jono*
there are health benefits to consuming alcohol in moderation, ironically being good for your heart and increasing hdl cholesterol. As for the eggs I'll let this screenshot do the talking if you don't believe me.IMG_20180909_234053_116-compressed.JPG.jpeg

The screenshot is the exact reason people are deluded by the media. Why are you trusting some random website for health information? The study that the article is based on, did not take into consideration of baseline cholesterol levels, furthermore the group who didn't have eggs, were replaced with other meats which were also high in cholesterol. Oh yea and the study was funded by the egg industry, so that study is irrelevant and another trick for them to make more money which you've fallen right into
Reply 36
The screenshot is the exact reason people are deluded by the media. Why are you trusting some random website for health information? The study that the article is based on, did not take into consideration of baseline cholesterol levels, furthermore the group who didn't have eggs, were replaced with other meats which were also high in cholesterol. Oh yea and the study was funded by the egg industry, so that study is irrelevant and another trick for them to make more money which you've fallen right into

I haven't fallen into anything, that article has no effect on what I eat, the eggs I eat come from chickens on my parents farm anyway so not making anyone money. I didn't see anywhere saying in was funded by the egg industry, where did you see that I will go and look if that's the case. But everything agrees with this article, so what makes you say otherwise? and no reply re: alcohol?
Original post by beccakalam1
thank you, where do you get your vitamin B12 from?

Marmite <3 <3
Original post by Jono*
I haven't fallen into anything, that article has no effect on what I eat, the eggs I eat come from chickens on my parents farm anyway so not making anyone money. I didn't see anywhere saying in was funded by the egg industry, where did you see that I will go and look if that's the case. But everything agrees with this article, so what makes you say otherwise? and no reply re: alcohol?

The same point applies with alcohol which I thought was obvious that it was unhealthy and not necessary to go and recite studies.

As for the egg one I'm not talking about the article, the article talks about the study, the study is the truth behind it and has all the stuff that the article tries to hide. If you read the citations, the first one they mention is the american egg board....
[attach]772826[/attach
]Screenshot_20180909-225906-compressed.png.jpeg

I recomemd you watch this video as it explains my points more coherently and is better explained
https://youtu.be/YaIpaGSESO0
By not consuming any products from animals.

Quick Reply

Latest