The Student Room Group

How to become Vegan?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by awkwardshortguy
I'm sure the animals would be grateful for you putting off going vegan.

Im not putting it off, I’m trying to best I can to cut out dairy gradually. I haven’t eaten meat in two months now, which I am much happier for doing, but I’m not going to rush into being vegan, it’s a massive change in anyone’s life.
We all have to start somewhere, at least I’m trying
Original post by Jono*
although the video does make some good points, in moderation eggs are perfectly healthy, it's not like I'm eating 10 a day. Alcohol in moderate amounts is good for you though you should look it up, as is dark chocolate

Well the premise of my arguement was to prove that an egg itself is an overall unhealthy food, which the video evidently explains, eating it in moderation isn't going to make drastic changes obviously, but still doesn't stray from the fact that eggs are unheslthy
Reply 43
Original post by Gent2324
Well the premise of my arguement was to prove that an egg itself is an overall unhealthy food, which the video evidently explains, eating it in moderation isn't going to make drastic changes obviously, but still doesn't stray from the fact that eggs are unheslthy

one of the reason it's healthy overall is because eggs (or meat) is a better source of protein than nuts for example, because nuts don't have all the amino acids you need, and it's very important to get them so your body can build muscle. it's important to have both types and you can't get that through plant matter alone.
Original post by Jono*
one of the reason it's healthy overall is because eggs (or meat) is a better source of protein than nuts for example, because nuts don't have all the amino acids you need, and it's very important to get them so your body can build muscle. it's important to have both types and you can't get that through plant matter alone.

Yes you can, plant foods have a complete amino acid profile. Instead of comparing meat to a snack, compare it to something like chickpeas and lentils and beans and the plant options are miles better.
Step 1 don't
Step 2 succeed
Reply 46
Original post by Gent2324
Yes you can, plant foods have a complete amino acid profile. Instead of comparing meat to a snack, compare it to something like chickpeas and lentils and beans and the plant options are miles better.

I just checked and chickpeas are incomplete, lentils is incomplete, kidney beans are complete, although you have to eat a large amount of it to get what you need. I eat all that stuff as well as meat
Original post by Jono*
I just checked and chickpeas are incomplete, lentils is incomplete, kidney beans are complete, although you have to eat a large amount of it to get what you need. I eat all that stuff as well as meat

Protein from plant sources are "complete", it's just the ratios of amino acids they contain are insufficient. However, this problem is completely fixed when you combine different plant protein sources (as a healthy vegan would do). I.e. when you combine grains and legumes. E.g. wheat contains a lot of a,b,c amino acids but not much x,y,z amino acids. Whereas peanuts contain a lot of x,y,z amino acids but not much a,b,c amino acids. Solution? A peanut butter sandwich with whole wheat bread. This principle can be applied to all legumes and grains, thus giving vegans several meal options to meet their protein requirements.

Also, soy-based foods have a "complete" protein ratio, making your argument moot. If I remember correctly, soybean pasta has about 40g of protein per 100g. That's more than any meat I can think of.
(edited 5 years ago)
Spend most of your time preparing your meals because without spending all your time preparing your meals you’re not going to be going to be able to meet all your nutritional needs
Reply 49
Original post by Funkymintbrother
Protein from plant sources are "complete", it's just the ratios of amino acids they contain are insufficient. However, this problem is completely fixed when you combine different plant protein sources (as a healthy vegan would do). I.e. when you combine grains and legumes. E.g. wheat contains a lot of a,b,c amino acids but not much x,y,z amino acids. Whereas peanuts contain a lot of x,y,z amino acids but not much a,b,c amino acids. Solution? A peanut butter sandwich with whole wheat bread. This principle can be applied to all legumes and grains, thus giving vegans several meal options to meet their protein requirements.

Also, soy-based foods have a "complete" protein ratio, making your argument moot. If I remember correctly, soybean pasta has about 40g of protein per 100g. That's more than any meat I can think of.

good point, although I checked on the soya pasta and it's 14-16 grams protein per 100, not 40. I wish you were right though as it would make it much easier to eat more protein.
Original post by Jono*
good point, although I checked on the soya pasta and it's 14-16 grams protein per 100, not 40. I wish you were right though as it would make it much easier to eat more protein.

I can't find the brand I use but here's one I found with a quick search. Nutritional information says 42.2g of protein and 23.4g of fibre per 100g with very little carbs. Enjoy.
https://groceries.asda.com/product/pasta-noodles-cous-cous/explore-organic-soybean-spaghetti/910002515713
@Jono* Did I just leaf blow your mind..?
Reply 52
I can't find the brand I use but here's one I found with a quick search. Nutritional information says 42.2g of protein and 23.4g of fibre per 100g with very little carbs. Enjoy.
https://groceries.asda.com/product/pasta-noodles-cous-cous/explore-organic-soybean-spaghetti/910002515713

thanks. I'll see if I can find it in france
Reply 53
@Jono* Did I just leaf blow your mind..?

not really but I'd like to try the spaghetti :smile:
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Vegan is stupid - we are naturally carnivores - if need be go veggie - I have two children who are veggie and one who is vegan - guess who is the nightmare child. ( I am carnivore btw - but not rampantly and am veggie quite a lot of the time)

This smacks of trolling. The OP has already made the decision and just wants advice. You're an omnivore and not a carnivore.
Original post by Jono*
thanks. I'll see if I can find it in france

I usually buy mine's from Aldi. Don't try to compare its taste to that of normal pasta when you eat it, because it doesn't taste like normal pasta. If you eat it with that mentality you may register it as 'weird' tasting, when really it has its own unique enjoyable taste. Think of it as its own thing, rather than a substitute. I hope that made sense haha.

Also, did you see what I did there with "leaf blow your mind"?! Because...it blew your mind, but we're talking about veganism...soooo leaf blow..? Nvm.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by GSedgley
I’m not going to rush into being vegan, it’s a massive change in anyone’s life.

Being killed shortly after birth because you're considered a waste product by the egg and dairy industries is a big change to one's life also.
Reply 57
I usually buy mine's from Aldi. Don't try to compare its taste to that of normal pasta when you eat it, because it doesn't taste like normal pasta. If you eat it with that mentality you may register it as 'weird' tasting, when really it has its own unique enjoyable taste. Think of it as its own thing, rather than a substitute. I hope that made sense haha.

Also, did you see what I did there with "leaf blow your mind"?! Because...it blew your mind, but we're talking about veganism...soooo leaf blow..? Nvm.

lol yeah I saw

Quick Reply

Latest