The Student Room Group

Changing course to do sandwich year, any advice please

Hey, I’m just about to start studying via distance learning for a degree in Biomedical Science. I’m a mature student who works full-time, so this mode of study suits me for now. However, in a couple of years I may be able to take a year out of work. I was wondering is it possible to either 1) switch courses onto another Biomedical course for my 3rd and 4th year of study to enable me to complete a sandwich year 2) to ask the uni would I be able to somehow be integrated with other students just for the purposes of completing a sandwich year, but once this year is up go back to my distance learning course as before.
The benefit of this to me would be I would be able to qualify with my IBMS portfolio already completed, which for a mature student with a mortgage etc to pay would be extremely beneficial!
My current course is IBMS accredited, as would be the one I would be switching to.
Any advice hugely appreciated!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Hula6789
Hey, I’m just about to start studying via distance learning for a degree in Biomedical Science. I’m a mature student who works full-time, so this mode of study suits me for now. However, in a couple of years I may be able to take a year out of work. I was wondering is it possible to either 1) switch courses onto another Biomedical course for my 3rd and 4th year of study to enable me to complete a sandwich year 2) to ask the uni would I be able to somehow be integrated with other students just for the purposes of completing a sandwich year, but once this year is up go back to my distance learning course as before.
The benefit of this to me would be I would be able to qualify with my IBMS portfolio already completed, which for a mature student with a mortgage etc to pay would be extremely beneficial!
My current course is IBMS accredited, as would be the one I would be switching to.
Any advice hugely appreciated!

Talk to the uni. I've never heard of a biomed distance learning course as how do you do your practical bits?
Reply 2
It’s the first year it’s existed so not surprised about that lol.

I already work in a science-related job with a lab, so I do the practical stuff in work. That was one of the criterion for being accepted
Original post by Hula6789
It’s the first year it’s existed so not surprised about that lol.

I already work in a science-related job with a lab, so I do the practical stuff in work. That was one of the criterion for being accepted

That makes more sense :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending