The Student Room Group

Don’t know if I want to go to uni? Is it worth it?

I’m in year 13. I feel like if I go to uni I would just be going for the ‘sake’ of going rather than actually having the ambition to do so. I planned to do International Development but there are limited courses and the unis are really far from where I live. Also I’m not even that sure i would need this degree in order to get a job.

I’m not sure that I want to do in life. I haven’t really looked into aprentiships much because I don’t really know if i would enjoy it or what the process is as we don’t get told - my school is very much uni based.

Is going to uni worth it? Any ideas?
Reply 1
Original post by sacha.j.marques
I’m in year 13. I feel like if I go to uni I would just be going for the ‘sake’ of going rather than actually having the ambition to do so. I planned to do International Development but there are limited courses and the unis are really far from where I live. Also I’m not even that sure i would need this degree in order to get a job.

I’m not sure that I want to do in life. I haven’t really looked into aprentiships much because I don’t really know if i would enjoy it or what the process is as we don’t get told - my school is very much uni based.

Hi there.
I'm also in year 13. university is an amazing opportunity with the chance to open up so many doors. for some people ( like myself) university has always been an option but then again, the course I want to study is medicine and to get qualified, you have to attend uni. however, it's not like every job needs uni.besides, uni needs commitment and vigorous studying. but there are some benefits like:
1) moving up the social hierarchy
2) improving life prospectus
3) learning and discovering
4) professional connections
5) transferable skills
6) better pay potential
7) makes you more employable

obviously, there are some disadvantages:
1) expensive
2) end up in a lot of debt
3) a degree doesn't guarantee a job

wishing you all the best
😁🤞

University is only worth going to for the following degrees:

1) Medicine
2) Nursing
3) Accounting
4) Actuarial Sciences
5) Engineering
6) Computer science

OR Go into the trades. Mechanic, Electrician, Plumbers, etc.

Uni is not worth it if you do not know what you want to do. All you are going to do is end up in a lot of debt and be an unemployed graduate that has no viable career path or worse end up failing your degree because you have no motivation

University is not worth it for purely the social aspects
You can be social without attending university
It is a investment in your future
Treat it like one
If does not matter what age you go to university
It has no stringet age requirements

This year try to aim for the highest grades you
can achieve in your exams
Then take a year to think carefully without the burdens of exam stress
This will widen your options
Original post by fabragas27

1) Medicine
2) Nursing
3) Accounting
4) Actuarial Sciences
5) Engineering
6) Computer science

But all of this is in your opinion. Don’t forget that

1) Medicine
2) Nursing
3) Accounting
4) Actuarial Sciences
5) Engineering
6) Computer science

rubbish

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Professional G

Nope, it's what society wants. So, you can blame society for that. Also, I'm pretty sure the tax payer won't lose their minds funding these degrees as opposed to some spoilt teenager who wants to get a degree in media studies.
Nope, it's what society wants. So, you can blame society for that. Also, I'm pretty sure the tax payer won't lose their minds funding these degrees as opposed to some spoilt teenager who wants to get a degree in media studies.

you're literally speaking out of your behind. "what society wants?", do you even realise how vast the job market is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
you're literally speaking out of your behind. "what society wants?", do you even realise how vast the job market is?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Clearly not that vast, as 2/3 of graduates wont be able to pay off their student loans. Says a lot.
Reply 9
Depends on you as an individual, I went to uni at 18 dropped out in first term. Then worked in several 'ok' jobs up until 24 but could never progress as far as I wanted and felt something missing. Went back to uni at 24 to study a degree which would lead to to a professional career (Architecture), it depends what you want from your life.
Original post by Professional G

It's in the "opinion" of the hiring managers too!! Look at what graduates in that list of areas is making 8 to 10 years after graduating, and what they are doing. Compare that to what graduates in: English, Art, Music, Philosophy, History, ..... other liberal arts degrees are making and dong. The difference should be readily apparent!! I 'did' a bachelors in Electrical Engineering in 1969. I later went back to a different uni and 'did' a master's degree in Elect Eng. After i got the bachelors, i ended up living in 14 countries (at customer expense), doing engineering. I also got two ski trips (3 weeks long each), in Europe as "R&R" for each year i served in an overseas tour in the near east. The ski trips were at customer expense. After i returned to the states, i 'did' the master's degree, and ended up managing several significant projects (since they now trusted me to make technical decisions, with my master's). Interestingly enough, those who were making the decisions to allow me to manage these programs, only had bachelors in engineering themselves, and had had no real engineering experience since they graduated with the bachelors many years before. [They were government "managers".] I wonder how they knew, having had no real exposure to engineering decisions for 20 to 30 years!

IMHO, before anyone embarks upon a course of study leading to a Uni degree, they should survey the available degrees, interview at least 5 individuals who are earning a living using one of the degrees they are considering, and - based upon the interviews, decide if that career track is 'right' for them. That is what i did, and i still think i made the right decision. Cheers.
You do NOT need a degree to earn big money or achieve the list of things mentioned anywhere above.

I know plenty of very successful people who probably don't have a GCSE much less a degree.

Hard work and graft is as equally important no matter how highly educated you are.

Personally I think if you want a nursing job you would be well advised to try the apprenticeship route. Other professions will train apprentices up to a degree level (and pay for it) if they consider the candidate valuable enough.

Young people MUST NOT get into the mindset of: need to go to uni or I have failed at life... that is neither helpful nor realistic.

Studying for a degree is not easy, it is several years of your life spent chasing a subject you love so much you will spend all of that time studying it. Choose wisely.

Personally if I was on year 13 and looking at some potentially good A level results I would strongly be looking at a career in the Navy, see the world, get trained and paid in the process.
Original post by modifiedgenes
You do NOT need a degree to earn big money or achieve the list of things mentioned anywhere above.

I know plenty of very successful people who probably don't have a GCSE much less a degree.

Hard work and graft is as equally important no matter how highly educated you are.

Personally I think if you want a nursing job you would be well advised to try the apprenticeship route. Other professions will train apprentices up to a degree level (and pay for it) if they consider the candidate valuable enough.

Young people MUST NOT get into the mindset of: need to go to uni or I have failed at life... that is neither helpful nor realistic.

Studying for a degree is not easy, it is several years of your life spent chasing a subject you love so much you will spend all of that time studying it. Choose wisely.

Personally if I was on year 13 and looking at some potentially good A level results I would strongly be looking at a career in the Navy, see the world, get trained and paid in the process.

When i started in engineering (as a technician) [this was in 1963], many of the people doing engineering work in the small company i worked for did NOT have degrees. One fellow had a master's degree in engineering. He was seen as our 'resident guru'. I worked for them for several years, and eventually ended up running a NASA program that was part of the 'manned spacecraft' program. Considering that i didn't even have an "associate's" degree - which is a 2 year degree - this was an achievement of note - although i didn't see it as such at the time - i was just making the hardware 'play' for the customer, after the project manager left the company. Today, this would NEVER happen. He would be replaced with a fresh hire from outside, and i would be forced to try and 'train' the fresh hire to run the project. Considering that i had been working on it for nearly 3 years - that would be some volume of training.

I saw the 'handwriting on the wall', and decided to go back and get a bachelor's degree. I had no 'role model' to follow. Me dad never finished 8th grade, and me mum finished high school, and then took a 3 month secretarial course to learn to be a secretary. She devoted the rest of her life doing this, when she wasn't raising me. I got into a small uni, and got my grade point average up, and then applied to a small engineering school. I went to work for the US Federal government as an electrical engineer. After 8 to 10 years, i noted that more and more job applicants, fresh from a uni, were walking in the door with master's degrees already. Deciding that i needed to 'upgrade' my skills, i got myself into a master's program near D.C., and eventually (7 yrs later) ended up with a master's degree.

Today, if you wanted a job at other than the basic 'working level' - say you wanted to be the deputy helping run a small engineering group that supported signal processing, you would absolutely have to have a bachelor's degree. In most liklihood, you would need to have a master's degree to even get an interview for the job. If you had only the bachelor's, the chances are that you would be passed over for the job, if they had had an applicant who DID have the masters. Bear in mind that the people making these hire decisions, in most cases would NOT have a master's degree in engineering. They possibly would have a bachelor's, but would have worked for 15 to 20 years - doing no real engineering at all. Very likely, they could not draw the schematic of a simple power supply, or explain how something as simple as a single conversion superhetrodyne receiver worked. This is not fair, not ethical (in my humble opinion), but it is the way the world works now. An added advantage of having an advanced degree, is that you can teach (at UNI) in the case of an economic slowdown. Many people teach with a masters, whilst they work on their doctorate.

I had several engineering contractors building equipment for me, when i worked for the US Federal government. These contractors were all over the country, many in places like the 'midwest' - places like Ohio, Pennsylvania, North Carolina..... Most of them were 'small' businesses (although not minority owned, or predominately minority staffed). Many of their staff had no degrees, an associate's degree, or in some cases a bachelor's. These companies had often been started by WW2 veterans, who got into electronics during the war, went back to uni under the "GI Bill", and got their degrees. The veterans, for the most part, built their companies up (often with their wives & other relatives help) very successfully - to the point that they were doing multi-million $ contracts. In due time, the founders of the companies, decided that they were 'getting along' in age, and wanted to retire. Unfortunately, with all the engineering, they had not produced children - or - in a couple of cases, the children were not at all interested in engineering. The founder's then sold their companies - several of which had several hundred or tens of thousands of employees.

Large companies bought these [now 'mid-sized' companies], stripped the assets out, and dumped them. The employees, only a few of which had advanced degrees, were faced with finding new jobs, while living in a 'non-industrialized' area - like central Ohio, where there were NO opportunities in 'Electronic Warfare' or intelligence. They also had the disadvantage of owning houses in these areas, where it was nearly impossible to sell them, or even to rent them for enough to cover the mortgage payment. Their previous employer [now defunct], had been the largest employer in the area, and had been paying about 70% of the salary which the employee could have gotten in the Washington, D.C. area for the same work. Of course, the living costs [food, house prices, etc], would have been much higher than they were paying in Ohio, eating up nearly all of the salary difference.

Nearly all of these employees (most of whom i had worked with) had a very rough time finding other employment. A few of them found overseas employment. The rented out their homes, dumped - or gave away, much of their stuff, and went to live overseas. The only assets they had (in the employment area) was their advanced security clearances - which were only an asset if they found a prospective employer that needed them [meaning that the employer's customer was the Federal Government, and it required the employees to have those clearances - many of which required 2 or 3 years of investigation to get]. Those employees who had dependents, had to accustom their dependents to living without 'quality of life' features such as 'flush plumbing', 'central (or any) heat', and the availability of restaurants and shopping [for clothes and food] that were fairly convenient. Some people can adapt to things like this, i have on several occasions. Others view not having heating in their residence (other than a small wood stove) as akin to living under a bridge.

When all this was going on (over about 8 years), i was glad that i had an advanced degree & a job in an area where i could find alternate employment if i looked around a bit. My experience in engineering (which is where most of my experience is), is that there are plenty of 'street sweepers' around. While the economy is good, there are jobs. When things 'go south' - as they are in Venezuela right now - the 'easy' jobs disappear. Yes, you CAN make good money without a degree, and without security clearances too. But it's harder, and the job security isn't there (at least in my experience). Cheers.
Original post by Rabbit2
When i started in engineering (as a technician) [this was in 1963], many of the people doing engineering work in the small company i worked for did NOT have degrees. One fellow had a master's degree in engineering. He was seen as our 'resident guru'. I worked for them for several years, and eventually ended up running a NASA program that was part of the 'manned spacecraft' program. Considering that i didn't even have an "associate's" degree - which is a 2 year degree - this was an achievement of note - although i didn't see it as such at the time - i was just making the hardware 'play' for the customer, after the project manager left the company. Today, this would NEVER happen. He would be replaced with a fresh hire from outside, and i would be forced to try and 'train' the fresh hire to run the project. Considering that i had been working on it for nearly 3 years - that would be some volume of training.

I saw the 'handwriting on the wall', and decided to go back and get a bachelor's degree. I had no 'role model' to follow. Me dad never finished 8th grade, and me mum finished high school, and then took a 3 month secretarial course to learn to be a secretary. She devoted the rest of her life doing this, when she wasn't raising me. I got into a small uni, and got my grade point average up, and then applied to a small engineering school. I went to work for the US Federal government as an electrical engineer. After 8 to 10 years, i noted that more and more job applicants, fresh from a uni, were walking in the door with master's degrees already. Deciding that i needed to 'upgrade' my skills, i got myself into a master's program near D.C., and eventually (7 yrs later) ended up with a master's degree.

Today, if you wanted a job at other than the basic 'working level' - say you wanted to be the deputy helping run a small engineering group that supported signal processing, you would absolutely have to have a bachelor's degree. In most liklihood, you would need to have a master's degree to even get an interview for the job. If you had only the bachelor's, the chances are that you would be passed over for the job, if they had had an applicant who DID have the masters. Bear in mind that the people making these hire decisions, in most cases would NOT have a master's degree in engineering. They possibly would have a bachelor's, but would have worked for 15 to 20 years - doing no real engineering at all. Very likely, they could not draw the schematic of a simple power supply, or explain how something as simple as a single conversion superhetrodyne receiver worked. This is not fair, not ethical (in my humble opinion), but it is the way the world works now. An added advantage of having an advanced degree, is that you can teach (at UNI) in the case of an economic slowdown. Many people teach with a masters, whilst they work on their doctorate.

I had several engineering contractors building equipment for me, when i worked for the US Federal government. These contractors were all over the country, many in places like the 'midwest' - places like Ohio, Pennsylvania, North Carolina..... Most of them were 'small' businesses (although not minority owned, or predominately minority staffed). Many of their staff had no degrees, an associate's degree, or in some cases a bachelor's. These companies had often been started by WW2 veterans, who got into electronics during the war, went back to uni under the "GI Bill", and got their degrees. The veterans, for the most part, built their companies up (often with their wives & other relatives help) very successfully - to the point that they were doing multi-million $ contracts. In due time, the founders of the companies, decided that they were 'getting along' in age, and wanted to retire. Unfortunately, with all the engineering, they had not produced children - or - in a couple of cases, the children were not at all interested in engineering. The founder's then sold their companies - several of which had several hundred or tens of thousands of employees.

Large companies bought these [now 'mid-sized' companies], stripped the assets out, and dumped them. The employees, only a few of which had advanced degrees, were faced with finding new jobs, while living in a 'non-industrialized' area - like central Ohio, where there were NO opportunities in 'Electronic Warfare' or intelligence. They also had the disadvantage of owning houses in these areas, where it was nearly impossible to sell them, or even to rent them for enough to cover the mortgage payment. Their previous employer [now defunct], had been the largest employer in the area, and had been paying about 70% of the salary which the employee could have gotten in the Washington, D.C. area for the same work. Of course, the living costs [food, house prices, etc], would have been much higher than they were paying in Ohio, eating up nearly all of the salary difference.

Nearly all of these employees (most of whom i had worked with) had a very rough time finding other employment. A few of them found overseas employment. The rented out their homes, dumped - or gave away, much of their stuff, and went to live overseas. The only assets they had (in the employment area) was their advanced security clearances - which were only an asset if they found a prospective employer that needed them [meaning that the employer's customer was the Federal Government, and it required the employees to have those clearances - many of which required 2 or 3 years of investigation to get]. Those employees who had dependents, had to accustom their dependents to living without 'quality of life' features such as 'flush plumbing', 'central (or any) heat', and the availability of restaurants and shopping [for clothes and food] that were fairly convenient. Some people can adapt to things like this, i have on several occasions. Others view not having heating in their residence (other than a small wood stove) as akin to living under a bridge.

When all this was going on (over about 8 years), i was glad that i had an advanced degree & a job in an area where i could find alternate employment if i looked around a bit. My experience in engineering (which is where most of my experience is), is that there are plenty of 'street sweepers' around. While the economy is good, there are jobs. When things 'go south' - as they are in Venezuela right now - the 'easy' jobs disappear. Yes, you CAN make good money without a degree, and without security clearances too. But it's harder, and the job security isn't there (at least in my experience). Cheers.

Your experience I see is from abroad, possibly the US(?) which is a ver very different place to the UK today. In the UK there is such a shortage of all trades and practical people that they can all earn good money without a degree, it is not necessary not required for many jobs.
no

unless you need it for indsutry but even so try and go via apprenticeship

otherwise youre just a mug - you are spending money you dont have on a degree you dont need
Not worth it if you want to be a rich person
Think of it this way- if you are passionate about something, want to dedicate years of your life and want a degree to lead to a good career you also need to be certain you can come out on top in what is basically a "popularity contest" that is todays graduate recruitment process: buzzword filtering algorithms, phone and video interviews, psychometric tests and group excercises at assessment centers. A history of academic achievement, work experience and extracurriculars will be brushed aside and you have to smooth talk your way into a job amongst a lot of other similarly qualified individuals. Depending on what you study could be 30, 50, 100, 200 people. For some this comes naturally and they graduate with multiple job offers but you could end up in a pretty dire situation.

I personally would NOT go unless you really want to, you can go to university at any time in your life and you should really want to do it for your own reasons. Don't let your school pressure you, you can say no, I said no to my sixth form and went to university later to study when I am ready. If I was you I would talk to a careers advisor at school or at the national careers advice service - they can give you options. Remember it isn't a bad thing to take a gap year and do some part/full time work or get some work experience for jobs or volunteer or go abroad and figure out what you want out of your professional life.

If you are set on university then look at similar courses to International Development (or ask a careers advisor about courses) closer to home. You can also check the Prospects website to see what kind of qualifications you would need to get a particular job.

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending