The Student Room Group

English speech

I’m going to have to write a speech and preform it in front of my English class very soon.
I am a very shy individual and I get very nervous, when performing to “large” amounts of people my voice goes really quiet and I get tears in my eyes.
does anyone have any tips on how to present to an audience ?
Also I’m going to have to choose a speech topic which can be about anything and I’m not sure what to write about, my preference is for it to be a persuasive speech. Any ideas? And how I can make it the best possible?
Hoping to get a distinction, thanks.
is there a topic that you're passionate about or something particularly relevant to you?
Reply 2
@entertainmyfaith
No not really
Original post by _s12
I’m going to have to write a speech and preform it in front of my English class very soon.
I am a very shy individual and I get very nervous, when performing to “large” amounts of people my voice goes really quiet and I get tears in my eyes.
Also I’m going to have to choose a speech topic which can be about anything and I’m not sure what to write about, my preference is for it to be a persuasive speech. Any ideas? And how I can make it the best possible?

Hey, not too sure what topic suggestions to give you as it needs to be personal and something that your passionate about so you will feel more confident when talking about it.
But about presenting your speech, just stay positive. If you think you will make a mistake then you most likely will but if your confident with your topic and speech and have rehearsed it a few times then just tell yourself your amazing before you go on and you will do well. Just try not to think about what others in the class will think, and pretend no one is in the room so when presenting look at the wall at the back of the class and not at the people. Practice projecting your voice at home saying the speech. If your voice is quiet then you might not be as likely for a distinction as confidence does play a role, so be loud and don't worry about other peoples views.
Original post by _s12
@entertainmyfaith
No not really

controversial topics can be good for persuasive speeches, or something relevant like the stigma of mental health (eg. encouraging people to be more understanding of it)

eg. should we test on animals? when can we start arresting kids? is euthanasia right? should marijuana be legalised?
Reply 5
@Bluepanda1234
Thank you so much, that really helps :smile:
Reply 6
@entertainmyfaith
Thank you very much :smile:
Original post by _s12

This was the most painful thing for me during GCSEs. Luckily my teacher was nice and because it only has to be voice recorded we went in small groups to an empty room but still wasn’t easy
Original post by _s12
@entertainmyfaith
Thank you very much :smile:

no problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending