The Student Room Group

What defines a “partner”

How does SFE define a ‘partner’? I am considering moving in with my boyfriend & out of student accommodation but we are not married and would continue to have separate bank accounts, only sharing the household bills as I would do with any other housemate. If we are not married do I have to declare him as a partner?? If we have a two bedroom place and no joint accounts or marriage what makes him any different to any other flatmate in the eyes of SFE? Without marriage, partner are based on emotional relationships, how is this something that can be objectively assessed and affect my financial situation in terms of receiving finance? I want to move in with him but I don’t want this to affect my finance as he shouldn’t have to (& wouldn’t be able to) support me or make up the difference if I started to receive less funding.
Hi,

Students who are over the age of 25 before the first day of the academic year are automatically classed as independent. This allows them to have their application based on their own household income.

Students who are under the age of 25 before the first day of the academic year are classed as dependent. These students are required to have their sponsor(s) provide their financial details for the requested tax year in order for their application to be means tested.

If you call us on 0300 100 06 07 we can access your account and check it for you.

Thanks

Gerard

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending