The Student Room Group

Urgent!!! College vs return to sixth form???

Really really need some insight :s-smilie:

Background:
Didn’t enjoy high school because of the pressure and lack of support in the environment. It ended up damaging my mental health quite badly. Was totally done with it and applied to Biology, Chemistry and English Lang at an FE college that’s in the next city 7 miles away which means it’s only 10/15 mins to get there in car, but two hours on bus because of remote location. Modern college with new resources and is designated for 16-19yrs only. My work is next door and so it’s convenient in that respect.

The college:
I’m introverted and the sort of person who really needs their time just to recharge and unwind. There are hundreds of others, some who I know from school but mostly strangers, and it’s overwhelming
I’m doing 12 hour days on some days and it’s not like I can pop home in my frees (of which there are many).
•Made a mistake taking science and so been trying to change my subjects, with little success so far have had to sit in my lessons all week despite there being no point to it. They’re trying to sort me a timetable change which I will of course try out.
•Left school to get more independence but you’re treated even more like a child who has to put their hand up to go to the toilet and sit in a designated seating plan •It’s next to a shopping centre and I have made a handful of nice friends
•Regimented checks of homework and additional study
•Got to attend an after school club (🙄) every single week or you’re in serious trouble
•I got good GCSE results and not in the slightest afraid of hard work. Volunteered in the summer and loved that because I felt I was treated more like an actual, valued human being. If I got an apprenticeship people say I’d be throwing away potential
•I’m restless and haven’t once had the feeling of excitement to go, in fact, I generally dread it.

Old school:
•It’s 2 miles away and I’ll definitely have two days where I finish at lunchtime each week. I know their expectations.
•They do want business dress rather than own clothes but I typically dress smart anyway
•Could still travel to work just the same, arguably would be able to work some afternoons too
•If I needed to go home, I could
•Worse social opportunities without a doubt
•I found the environment to be toxic when I was in school
•Ample time to exercise, study, eat clean, see family and work. Life wouldn’t revolve around study
•Slightly worse Ofsted and their main focus is secondary education

At this rate I honestly don’t think I’d come home from either and feel overjoyed to be going back the next day. Trying to work out the best option from the devil and the deep blue sea. Not sure what the future holds, but all I know is that I have to do my A levels otherwise too many doors close... so it’s a matter of which place fits my individual needs better. Taking everything into consideration, what would you do? How much time would you give it before making a final choice? Thank you in advance x

@ethistu7
If I was you I would take the college and ignore the distance as it seems better in all aspects

It doesn't matter how close the sixth form is if
You find the environment detrimental to your mental health.
If you feel ill you are not going to succeed anyway
Also you've mentioned you have made friends already which is a definite plus over your sixth form

Also I see you're complaining about the rigid system and lack of independence in the college.
Tbh that is not a really an issue. The rigid system's benift will be reflected in your high attainment in your results as for the independence , you can do that in your own time . In some jobs you are expected to account for your time to the last minute..

In my experience the more relaxed an educational establishment the worse your attainment will be

Also as you have mentioned you found the environment was toxic in the sixth form, the old memories will come up to the surface and impede your progress in everything.

Also the facilities of an educational establishment make a big difference to your mindset. If you study in somewhere that is run down, you won't feel motivated to succeed.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest