The Student Room Group

lonely at freshers

Hello all. It is freshers week here and I am alone for the majority of the time, such as now. I do not live in accommodation and therefore I do not have the chance to meet people through that. I have gone to some events, and talk to people, but everybody is either already in groups or just scoop up other people - leaving me alone. It is really making me find this uni experience rather difficult and very lonely, and is making me tear up writing about it right now. I know lots of people find it hard, but there is nobody around who looks like they are in the same predicament as me. I also find i come across as nervous, but it is not as though I leave the conversation to fall into an awkward silence. I do not know what to do as I am really struggling with this and it has only been two days, yet others seem to have found friends and a life here already.
Reply 1
Have you considered joining a club or a society? You'd see these people on a regular basis and increase your chance of making friends.
Reply 2
Original post by emilyfsfklsa
Hello all. It is freshers week here and I am alone for the majority of the time, such as now. I do not live in accommodation and therefore I do not have the chance to meet people through that. I have gone to some events, and talk to people, but everybody is either already in groups or just scoop up other people - leaving me alone. It is really making me find this uni experience rather difficult and very lonely, and is making me tear up writing about it right now. I know lots of people find it hard, but there is nobody around who looks like they are in the same predicament as me. I also find i come across as nervous, but it is not as though I leave the conversation to fall into an awkward silence. I do not know what to do as I am really struggling with this and it has only been two days, yet others seem to have found friends and a life here already.

I'm in the same situation of living at home, which has made it harder to connect with people during freshers. I think most people will probably get to know their flatmates first or will hang out with friends they already knew from before. When formal teaching starts in October, you'll have a greater chance of making some friends as you'll be around the same people all year round. Also find and join societies you like as it gives you a chance to find people with the same interests as you. There hasn't been that much for me to do during freshers as I'm not a party goer, so I'm really just pinning my hopes on finding friends during classes/societies/clubs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending