The Student Room Group

Will I get interviewed in Cambridge with these scores?

I am a Chinese student studying in the United States, and I am in eleventh grade now. I am applying to Cambridge to study Mathematics.

The problem is that I do not meet the entry requirements on the English language tests (TOEFL)—my score in the speaking section was not enough although I got perfect scores in all other sections. I took that test for the first time last month. Also, I took my first SAT today and I will not get my score before the application deadline.

I meet other requirements. I have 5s on six APs (Calculus BC, Statistics, both Physics C's, Computer Science A, and Biology), 800s on four SAT Subject Tests (Mathematics Level II, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology), and S's on all three STEP papers. I also have A's in all of my school courses every year.

Question: will I get interviewed in Cambridge? (If so, I will have received my SAT score before the interview; I have also submitted a mathematics research paper to a conference and I will know before the interview, but not before the application deadline, whether I will be invited to give a presentation at the conference).
Reply 1
I tag them, maybe they will give you a response this morning:

@Peterhouse Admissions @Christ's Admissions @Murray Edwards Admissions
Original post by simp1ex
I am a Chinese student studying in the United States, and I am in eleventh grade now. I am applying to Cambridge to study Mathematics.

The problem is that I do not meet the entry requirements on the English language tests (TOEFL)—my score in the speaking section was not enough although I got perfect scores in all other sections. I took that test for the first time last month. Also, I took my first SAT today and I will not get my score before the application deadline.

I meet other requirements. I have 5s on six APs (Calculus BC, Statistics, both Physics C's, Computer Science A, and Biology), 800s on four SAT Subject Tests (Mathematics Level II, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology), and S's on all three STEP papers. I also have A's in all of my school courses every year.

Question: will I get interviewed in Cambridge? (If so, I will have received my SAT score before the interview; I have also submitted a mathematics research paper to a conference and I will know before the interview, but not before the application deadline, whether I will be invited to give a presentation at the conference).

I would expect that you would be interviewed, but you will need to plan, and enter on your application, another English exam.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by simp1ex

You only need to fulfill any English requirements by August 2019, not before.

If you have SSS in STEP you will get an interview and, assuming you don't smack the interviewer across the face with a wet fish, an Offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by simp1ex

You would certainly get an interview at Christ's, and I imagine you would have a very strong chance of receiving an offer.
Original post by Doonesbury
You only need to fulfill any English requirements by August 2019, not before.

If you have SSS in STEP you will get an interview and, assuming you don't smack the interviewer across the face with a wet fish, an Offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's more an Oxford thing. And if the interview throws the fish back, you've got a place.
Reply 6
Original post by Reality Check
That's more an Oxford thing. And if the interview throws the fish back, you've got a place.

Now I'm going to have to rewatch Python to see if it was Jones and Palin (both were Oxon) who did the wet fish sketch...

:getmecoat:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Now I'm going to have to rewatch Python to see if it was Jones and Palin (both were Oxon) who did the wet fish sketch...

:getmecoat:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You knew it :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Reality Check
You knew it :smile:

Turns out it was Palin v Cleese - so a proper Varsity match. I wonder if they got their Blues...

[video="youtube;xCwLirQS2-o"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCwLirQS2-o[/video]
Turns out it was Palin v Cleese - so a proper Varsity match. I wonder if they got their Blues...

[video="youtube;xCwLirQS2-o"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCwLirQS2-o[/video]

:lol: It still worked for me.

If you look closely, I think you'll find that little hut is actually Balliol's Boat Club.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending