The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Bulletzone
The results are quite astonishing tbh.
I know of someone who received an unconditional offer from Birmingham university to do Engineering and I can assure you that the University of Birmingham is the last uni to be "desperate" for students.

It all depends on the University and Course in my opinion.

I'm intrigued why birmingham are giving so many unconditionals. Every offer I've seen so far from Birmingham has been unconditional
I would kiss them but my grades are way too bad for me to ever get one unfortunately
(edited 5 years ago)
1. Hard to get out of? No different imo as any other offer where you have made the grade.
Ive not heard of unis enforcing offers?

2. The poll missed the possibility of someone applying who already has the grades. Unconditional offer is more along the lines of nothing further to do offer.
hey congrats on your offers , im doing AS aqa biology now and just wanted to know how you revised and got an A*. Do you have any tips and advice?
Reply 44
Whilst slightly unrelated, can I just say I absolutely hate how the media is trying to put a bad spin on unconditional offers. It’s so helpful to those who suffer stress and if you’re 100% set on going to a specific uni and you get an unconditional, it’s amazing.
Reply 45
Original post by Woksin
Whilst slightly unrelated, can I just say I absolutely hate how the media is trying to put a bad spin on unconditional offers. It’s so helpful to those who suffer stress and if you’re 100% set on going to a specific uni and you get an unconditional, it’s amazing.

But what if your favourite gives you a standard conditional offer meanwhile your 3rd favourite gives you an Unconditional if Firm offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Original post by Doonesbury
But what if your favourite gives you a standard conditional offer meanwhile your 3rd favourite gives you an Unconditional if Firm offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends how confident I was on exams. I can’t speak for that though as I do a BTEC so I can see my end grade already through the assignments I’ve done
Reply 47
Original post by Woksin
Depends how confident I was on exams. I can’t speak for that though as I do a BTEC so I can see my end grade already through the assignments I’ve done

But that's the situation we are really talking about in this thread. :wink:
That would be a terrible in a terrible offer then !! What if it denatures one's morals towards feature, to me human rights are like gardens with variable PH levels,nutrients and texture. Such gardens need specific people for effective out put not every one. However you can force a seed or seedlings in it but you can't command to all the conditions as you expected to be. So not all offers elevate one's dreams!! That is to me.

[ul]
[li]If you have received an unconditional offer how did you feel?[/li]
[/ul]
[ul]
[li]If the unconditional wasn't from your favourite uni would you feel the pressure to accept it?[/li]
[/ul]
[ul]
[li]Have you had an unconditional offer, accepted it and then regretted it?[/li]
[/ul]

Share your thoughts and experiences here :dumbells:

What is an unconditional offer and what to be aware of
An unconditional offer means you've got a place based on your predicted grades. Whatever happens on results day you're in, even if you achieve all U's.

You don't pick an insurance choice because when you accept an unconditional offer, you're in.

An unconditional offer means you can't use adjustment on results day. So if you have exceeded your predicted grades and your offer you're pretty stuck.

They are hard to get out of if you change your mind about your course or university come results day.

Let's chat.....
Original post by LordLucifer
I've been very confused about this, and its probably a stupid question but can you put an unconditional offer as your insurance?

Yes, you can put the uni as your insurance choice, as long as you put it as your insurance or firm choice - you have accepted the offer, although some unis may say "we will give an unconditional offer if you put us as you're firm" however do not make this the deciding factor for your uni choice, you need to actually feel this is the perfect uni for you.
Original post by She-Ra
Unconditional offers are becoming more and more common.

[ul]
[li]If you have received an unconditional offer how did you feel?[/li]
[/ul]
[ul]
[li]If the unconditional wasn't from your favourite uni would you feel the pressure to accept it?[/li]
[/ul]
[ul]
[li]Have you had an unconditional offer, accepted it and then regretted it?[/li]
[/ul]

Share your thoughts and experiences here :dumbells:

What is an unconditional offer and what to be aware of
An unconditional offer means you've got a place based on your predicted grades. Whatever happens on results day you're in, even if you achieve all U's.

You don't pick an insurance choice because when you accept an unconditional offer, you're in.

An unconditional offer means you can't use adjustment on results day. So if you have exceeded your predicted grades and your offer you're pretty stuck.

They are hard to get out of if you change your mind about your course or university come results day.

Let's chat.....

CONTACT UNIVERSITIES, UCAS OR YOUR COLLEGES DIRECTLY ABOUT THE PROCESSES OF APPLICATION AS MANY PEOPLE SEEM TO BE MISLEADING STUDENTS WITH FALSE INFORMATION!

THEY WILL BE ABLE TO GIVE YOU THE BEST ADVICE FOR YOU AND GIVE YOU 100% ACCURATE INFORMATION, CONTACTING THE RIGHT PEOPLE FOR YOU IF THEY ARE UNABLE TO ANSWER FOR YOU!!!

Hi could you check a couple of your facts, please?:

"An unconditional offer means you've got a place based on your predicted grades" -
These offers are based on your entire application: predicted grades, previous exam grades, personal statement, reference and experience etc, and not solely on grades.

"You don't pick an insurance choice because when you accept an unconditional offer, you're in" -
yes, you may be in, but what if you decide against going after results? you have no fallback and the process will be harder. It makes no difference to your application and doesn't take any longer to select an insurance choice, so you might as well do it.

"An unconditional offer means you can't use adjustment on results day. So if you have exceeded your predicted grades and your offer you're pretty stuck" -
NOPE!!! you are not stuck, if you choose after results day to go to a different uni, for whatever reason you can go through the same process as any other applicant: adjustment is still an option! Don't feel as though you are stuck if you accept an unconditional offer, they are a compliment to you as a student, it means you are the sort of student the uni believes is perfect for them and you could be a positive addition to their uni and the course/department you're applying for.

They are hard to get out of if you change your mind about your course or university come results day. -
They are no different to any other offer, you just have a secured place at a uni no matter what your results are. You can choose to accept or reject the offers in the same way and are also able to hold places for 5 days for adjustment after results day in the same way as any other offer.
Original post by Saffie Rose

"You don't pick an insurance choice because when you accept an unconditional offer, you're in" -
yes, you may be in, but what if you decide against going after results? you have no fallback and the process will be harder. It makes no difference to your application and doesn't take any longer to select an insurance choice, so you might as well do it.

It's not an option to pick an insurance if you choose an unconditional firm so it's not a case of just choosing one :s-smilie:

"An unconditional offer means you can't use adjustment on results day. So if you have exceeded your predicted grades and your offer you're pretty stuck" -
NOPE!!! you are not stuck, if you choose after results day to go to a different uni, for whatever reason you can go through the same process as any other applicant: adjustment is still an option! Don't feel as though you are stuck if you accept an unconditional offer, they are a compliment to you as a student, it means you are the sort of student the uni believes is perfect for them and you could be a positive addition to their uni and the course/department you're applying for.

I don't think you understand how adjustment works... To be eligible for adjustment you have to have met all the requirements of your firm offer AND exceeded at least one of them. You can't exceed nothing in measurable terms, so although the adjustment button will be there on track, unis cannot take you from this position.

They are hard to get out of if you change your mind about your course or university come results day. -
They are no different to any other offer, you just have a secured place at a uni no matter what your results are. You can choose to accept or reject the offers in the same way and are also able to hold places for 5 days for adjustment after results day in the same way as any other offer.

On results day any offers can be tricky to get out of. You have to ask to be released into clearing which can take some time. It's more likely to be easier if it was a conditional offer as if you exceeded it adjustment is much easier than waiting for a uni to sort out putting you into clearing.
Changing course makes no difference either way, you should call them up and see what they say about swapping.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
It's not an option to pick an insurance if you choose an unconditional firm so it's not a case of just choosing one :s-smilie:

I don't think you understand how adjustment works... To be eligible for adjustment you have to have met all the requirements of your firm offer AND exceeded at least one of them. You can't exceed nothing in measurable terms, so although the adjustment button will be there on track, unis cannot take you from this position.

On results day any offers can be tricky to get out of. You have to ask to be released into clearing which can take some time. It's more likely to be easier if it was a conditional offer as if you exceeded it adjustment is much easier than waiting for a uni to sort out putting you into clearing.
Changing course makes no difference either way, you should call them up and see what they say about swapping.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you may need to look into the process again, the unis will hold your place for 5 days after results day so you can have another look around.
Original post by Saffie Rose
I think you may need to look into the process again, the unis will hold your place for 5 days after results day so you can have another look around.

Yes but only if you qualify for adjustment... Which people with unconditional offers definitely don't, and a lot of others don't either! Else it is assumed you are coming to them unless you tell them otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
I'm a first year student. This summer I got unconditional offers from Bournemouth and UWE. Interestingly I also got an unconditional offer from Portsmouth the day before A level grades were published. They must have known they would have unfilled places and they also must have known that I had the grades neccessary for my first choice ( the unis and schools get the results a day or so earlier than us). I guess its a little flattering to get 3 unconditional offers but ny objective was always to get to my first choice uni which only made a conditional offer. Thankfully that is where I am now.
Reply 55
The concern is really only about "Unconditional if Firm" offers. A straight-up unconditional, usually given to post-qualification (gap year) applicants (like you) or on the strength of a strong portfolio, etc, is absolutely fine. But the "...if Firm" version really is just a marketing tactic.
If I get any unconditional offer, I'm going to be the happiest woman in the world. I've been studying part-time for four years to get a Diploma of Higher Education in Psychology, I've worked hard and balanced things in-between life, but I am SO excited for going to university and getting away from my home situation. My heart is set on becoming a developmental psychologist and my motivation has never faltered. I feel like going to university is going to dramatically change my life and confidence. <3 So with that in mind, I'm desperate for an offer from any university in Glasgow... Although, an admissions member from University of Glasgow themselves got back to me asking where my mathematics qualification was - I've only got numeracy at Level 5 and 6.... So that's certainly a worry. :frown: But yeah. Unconditional, conditional, placement in exchange for my eternal soul... Whatever it takes, LOL.

Latest

Trending

Trending