The Student Room Group

advice on dropping out?

basically i fcked up
i applied for an engineering Foundation degree at my college (its a college but they do degrees too)
under pressure from my parents

i attended the first class, really didnt like it at all, decided i wanted to drop out, however i would have to pay some of the money (£1250)

so my tutor took me off the register for the week i did and told me to ring up early next week and say i havent attended and they might let me off since i havent actually attended any classes (on the register anyway)

has anyone else had a situation like this? and any advice on how to go about it? or am i just screwed lol
Original post by Goolashh
basically i fcked up
i applied for an engineering Foundation degree at my college (its a college but they do degrees too)
under pressure from my parents

i attended the first class, really didnt like it at all, decided i wanted to drop out, however i would have to pay some of the money (£1250)

so my tutor took me off the register for the week i did and told me to ring up early next week and say i havent attended and they might let me off since i havent actually attended any classes (on the register anyway)

has anyone else had a situation like this? and any advice on how to go about it? or am i just screwed lol

Nice tutor.

Normally liability for fees is not incurred till 14 days after you have enrolled or started lectures.
This is entirely dependent on the colleges terms.
They also have discretion.

I would make sure that if you enrolled then you put in the official withdrawal form tomorrow as that signifies when you have left.
The £1250 would be covered by student finance if they have it. I wouldnt worry about this although for the sake of student finance its better not to owe anything as that helps with future funding options.

You also have issues of maintenance loan which needs to be repaid immediately or in a negotiated agreement and also to sort out any accommodation.

If you have a student union adviser then go speak to them. Dont hide.

Getting out without liability is a wholly good and smart thing for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending