The Student Room Group

Struggling with JSA

Hi,

I am an engineer with 2 years working in the field. I have become unemployed due to personal reasons and was no longer fit to work at my current job. It has been 3 weeks and I have not found anyone willing to hire me. I am signed onto multiple agencies and applied to all manner of jobs. I have a license but no longer own a car, and I live in this town in the middle of nowhere due to relocating for the above job which I have now left.

I am on a rolling rental contract, and have all the bills minus Council tax in my name. My contract is in my name with one other person added. Due to circumstances we are no longer living as a couple but are now living under the same roof separately.

I have paid about 4 years of tax, but as I am living with another person under the same roof (who works full time on a low wage, not enough to cover our rent on their own) I am not allowed to claim JSA. I have tried contacting my local JC+ but the line never gets through, and since it is in the next town over I do not have a "cheap" way to get there.

Their 50% contribution of wage is not enough to pay the bills, obviously, so what do I do? I never thought I would be out of a job this long, and my rent is in 3 days.

Is there a way I can claim as a separate person, because the forms only ask if I am living with another person and assumes they are a couple.
Reply 1
JSA is like £70/week, it won't really save you. Don't worry about rent, it takes months to evict someone and if you send your landlord randomly now and then £30 , he will have to restart the whole process of getting rid of you, so they are usually willing to talk...

You can claim JSA when there is another person in the house, just tell JC that you live in shared accommodation and that you are in no relationship with whoever lives there.

You are likely to be overqualified for most if the easy-to-get jobs, so make yourself a fake CV. October is probably the easiest month to get a low-end job in a warehouse or something, it will keep you running.
Reply 2
Original post by BFG9000
JSA is like £70/week, it won't really save you. Don't worry about rent, it takes months to evict someone and if you send your landlord randomly now and then £30 , he will have to restart the whole process of getting rid of you, so they are usually willing to talk...

You can claim JSA when there is another person in the house, just tell JC that you live in shared accommodation and that you are in no relationship with whoever lives there.

You are likely to be overqualified for most if the easy-to-get jobs, so make yourself a fake CV. October is probably the easiest month to get a low-end job in a warehouse or something, it will keep you running.

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately the rent comes from a DD to an agency, and since I am already on my overdraft limit it'll just bounce back? I don't know. They have to give 2 months but I am more concerned about the other bills I also have on DD (energy, water, internet etc). How do I pay for food? I am feeling really suicidal at the moment and it sucks because I know I am qualified for the jobs I am applying to.

The JC+ phone is absolutely awful, went through a number of robots only to find out it's charged my phone a tonne and now I can't make any more paid calls.
Reply 3
Original post by leonorag
Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately the rent comes from a DD to an agency, and since I am already on my overdraft limit it'll just bounce back? I don't know. They have to give 2 months but I am more concerned about the other bills I also have on DD (energy, water, internet etc). How do I pay for food? I am feeling really suicidal at the moment and it sucks because I know I am qualified for the jobs I am applying to.

The JC+ phone is absolutely awful, went through a number of robots only to find out it's charged my phone a tonne and now I can't make any more paid calls.

What city do you live in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending