The Student Room Group

Can a long distance relationship work?

Say if you meet someone abroad that you really like, but you both live and work in two separate countries. Can such a relationship work? I can't help but think that it will be hard to ever meet up again over such a distance or to do so frequently enough to maintain a relationship.

I would just like your opinions on long distance relationships on whether they can work or not.
Original post by Anonymous
Say if you meet someone abroad that you really like, but you both live and work in two separate countries. Can such a relationship work? I can't help but think that it will be hard to ever meet up again over such a distance or to do so frequently enough to maintain a relationship.

I would just like your opinions on long distance relationships on whether they can work or not.
In a word, Yes.

Mine's still going strong.:wink:
Yes but I need physical affection so that would be a problem
Nope

Well as long as you both put effort into talking regularly and making time for eachother, why shouldn't it work?
Reply 5
Original post by Rainfall
Yes but I need physical affection so that would be a problem
This.

I've been in a long distance relationship, and I didn't like who I became. I'd be possessive and jealous and a bunch of things I hate, and when when she and I saw each other, I'd be over-the-top in my affection with her. She was very understanding, and when we broke up that was actually nothing to do with it.

So I'm not sure I'd do long distance again. I really don't like who I become when I'm in one.

That being said, some people can cope with it, so it depends on who you are and who you're with, I guess.
Reply 6
nope. From 6 times experience
With difficulty
Reply 8
6 months into one. It's not too bad, but my SO has financial freedom so we still get to spend quite a lot of time with each other.
Original post by Tootles
This.

I've been in a long distance relationship, and I didn't like who I became. I'd be possessive and jealous and a bunch of things I hate, and when when she and I saw each other, I'd be over-the-top in my affection with her. She was very understanding, and when we broke up that was actually nothing to do with it.

So I'm not sure I'd do long distance again. I really don't like who I become when I'm in one.

That being said, some people can cope with it, so it depends on who you are and who you're with, I guess.

Long distance sucks. I need cuddles daily.

Same 😭
Reply 11
Depends on the people involved.

For me, no. Never tried but can't imagine I'd like it.

That's my situation and we've been going strong for over a year.

Yeps me too :emo:
Reply 14
Never did for me, but then I'm an ********.
Reply 15
Yes it can work! I’m currently in one, and have been for 1.5 years. He lives in Scotland and I live in England. You just have to make sure you communicate often and reassure each other that you are happy to be in that relationship. I can’t deny that it’s difficult, and it’ll only get more difficult from here (he’s starting work full time and I’m going to university) but I wouldn’t change it for the world. It makes you cherish the time you spend together, and appreciate each other more. Plus, we don’t have doubts about how the other person is feeling because we are both willing to pay travel expenses to see eachother (and believe me, it’s expensive!).

Just plan in advance when you would like to see each other. We can only manage 3/4 days every couple of months, but it gives you something to look forward to.

Quick Reply