The Student Room Group

Diploma of Higher Education... Accepted by uni's?

SHORT VERSION: Will a Diploma of Higher Education in Psychology get me into a University for my Bachelor's? Will I be forced to do 2nd or 3rd year?

SOME BACKGROUND INFO: Hi there, so a bit of a complex situation! Four years ago, I decided to do a Diploma of Higher Education in Psychology from the Open University. I was going through a lot of confidence issues and felt this was the best way to keep my life from stagnating...

I've went through a bit of a transformation recently and I am READY to get involved in life! I've had my game plan of being a developmental psychologist for around four years now, but I've lost 5 stone, I've nearly got my driving license and I want to go to a concrete Uni to further challenge myself, to mingle with people, to travel and most importantly, to get out the house!

I went to the University of Glasgow's open day, and went to talk to someone about my diploma from admissions...

They had never heard of the qualification, and asked what campus this 'Open University' took place at... Eeek... She gave me an email so I could send her the details and she could talk to her supervisor about it. This has me immensely worried. Have I been studying something worthless? I really want to go onto further study, to do/complete a Bach's with Honours and then onto a Master's. Initially, I thought I'd be devastated if Uni's took me in at 1st or even 2nd year because I feel very much advanced from that. Now, I'm horrified at the thought they won't take me at all... It's not the end of the world, I'd complete my Honours at the OU but I really want to go to a concrete university to push myself and show myself that I've overcome the obstacles keeping me locked away from the world. :smile:
Original post by Ashfire45
SHORT VERSION: Will a Diploma of Higher Education in Psychology get me into a University for my Bachelor's? Will I be forced to do 2nd or 3rd year?

SOME BACKGROUND INFO: Hi there, so a bit of a complex situation! Four years ago, I decided to do a Diploma of Higher Education in Psychology from the Open University. I was going through a lot of confidence issues and felt this was the best way to keep my life from stagnating...

I've went through a bit of a transformation recently and I am READY to get involved in life! I've had my game plan of being a developmental psychologist for around four years now, but I've lost 5 stone, I've nearly got my driving license and I want to go to a concrete Uni to further challenge myself, to mingle with people, to travel and most importantly, to get out the house!

I went to the University of Glasgow's open day, and went to talk to someone about my diploma from admissions...

They had never heard of the qualification, and asked what campus this 'Open University' took place at... Eeek... She gave me an email so I could send her the details and she could talk to her supervisor about it. This has me immensely worried. Have I been studying something worthless? I really want to go onto further study, to do/complete a Bach's with Honours and then onto a Master's. Initially, I thought I'd be devastated if Uni's took me in at 1st or even 2nd year because I feel very much advanced from that. Now, I'm horrified at the thought they won't take me at all... It's not the end of the world, I'd complete my Honours at the OU but I really want to go to a concrete university to push myself and show myself that I've overcome the obstacles keeping me locked away from the world. :smile:

It sounds like you spoke to someone who doesn’t actually deal with making decisions on qualifications.

Glasgow AWARDS DipHEs (see section 13 of https://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_205309_en.pdf ) they will accept them for entry onto a degree (usually entry with advanced standing into yr 2 or 3 depending on how recently you studied and the similarity of course content).
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
It sounds like you spoke to someone who doesn’t actually deal with making decisions on qualifications.

Glasgow AWARDS DipHEs (see section 13 of https://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_205309_en.pdf ) they will accept them for entry onto a degree (usually entry with advanced standing into yr 2 or 3 depending on how recently you studied and the similarity of course content).

Thank you so much for the reply!! The woman I spoke to was responsible for admissions into social sciences and had absolutely no clue what a Diploma of Higher Education was. Given her position, I trusted that she was in the right and I was the one with a bum qualification, LOL. This is such a relief to read, thank you again! It means that even if I don't get into the University of Glasgow, another Uni should take me on. One last thank you for your time!
Original post by Ashfire45
Thank you so much for the reply!! The woman I spoke to was responsible for admissions into social sciences and had absolutely no clue what a Diploma of Higher Education was. Given her position, I trusted that she was in the right and I was the one with a bum qualification, LOL. This is such a relief to read, thank you again! It means that even if I don't get into the University of Glasgow, another Uni should take me on. One last thank you for your time!

If she was an academic then it’s likely that there’s other staff who are experts on qualifications and who check those for her. If she was an admissions administrator then it sounds like she’s just rubbish at her job! Not knowing about OU is just embarrassing!

good luck with your application. Even if someone silly has to check your application then they will refer it to someone who understands what the OU is to make a decision.

Quick Reply

Latest