The Student Room Group

Continue or Give it up?

I don't know what to do. I study at the Open University (full time) and I don't know if it was the best choice I ever made. Because of my life/family issues, I had to run away from my home and I couldn't prove that I have a formal education that would be accepted by universities here.

Anyway, I was thinking that I will do one year at the OU and I could switch to a brick uni, but that was very foolish and it's way more complicated than I expected. So I thought that I will try to finish this as fast as possible and Master at a brick uni would have to be enough for me.

I finished the first year with very good grades despite that I live alone and life is very challenging for me here (plus I am not a native speaker) I can't get a maintenance loan as I don't live in the UK long enough. The OU is offering a bursary for new students but I would have to be any different than white to get it (as I was told here, that's perfectly a-okay, but if there would be that you cannot be any different colour than white, the same people would burn that place down...)

I did not instead on this type of bursary and I just wanted to know if there is any chance to get a help. I contacted SST in August and it took more than 3 months before somebody told me that's not their problem that I have some issues and they can't and won't help.
I don't know if I should continue, or give it up, or take a break. The reality is, that you can be smart and study hard, but if you are not lucky enough nobody gives a ****.
Original post by SimpsonHomer
I don't know what to do. I study at the Open University (full time) and I don't know if it was the best choice I ever made. Because of my life/family issues, I had to run away from my home and I couldn't prove that I have a formal education that would be accepted by universities here.

Anyway, I was thinking that I will do one year at the OU and I could switch to a brick uni, but that was very foolish and it's way more complicated than I expected. So I thought that I will try to finish this as fast as possible and Master at a brick uni would have to be enough for me.

I finished the first year with very good grades despite that I live alone and life is very challenging for me here (plus I am not a native speaker) I can't get a maintenance loan as I don't live in the UK long enough. The OU is offering a bursary for new students but I would have to be any different than white to get it (as I was told here, that's perfectly a-okay, but if there would be that you cannot be any different colour than white, the same people would burn that place down...)

I did not instead on this type of bursary and I just wanted to know if there is any chance to get a help. I contacted SST in August and it took more than 3 months before somebody told me that's not their problem that I have some issues and they can't and won't help.
I don't know if I should continue, or give it up, or take a break. The reality is, that you can be smart and study hard, but if you are not lucky enough nobody gives a ****.

We probably need more info than this to go on and there seems to be more to this story than what's here.

What qualifications did you have before starting at the OU? What are the eligibility criteria of the OU bursary? If you don't have the money now and can't get a loan then maybe work save and come back to it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending