The Student Room Group

Architecture Stress Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
Hispanic-Impressions

On the right hand menu, do you think I should be adjusting the length/width/height or mess around with the u/v/w tiling?
3DS is so un-straightforward.

Thanks for your help though!

Looks like a scale issue, i'd just try to enlarge the texture. I don't really know, for me its usually just trial and error. Perhaps change it from planar to box and then adjusting the size of the tiles. Isnt there an automatic scale function? What is the texture supposed to be?
Quiller
Looks like a scale issue, i'd just try to enlarge the texture. I don't really know, for me its usually just trial and error. Perhaps change it from planar to box and then adjusting the size of the tiles. Isnt there an automatic scale function? What is the texture supposed to be?

The texture is supposed to be "hardwood flooring red oak".. the two orange boxes have both had that texture applied, I've messed around with the one furthest on the right (still looks very blurred and weird!) and the other orange box is as the texture currently appears, before trying to adjust it.

As soon as I adjust the tiling (well, say if i put 2s in each of the U V W tile bit) it goes completely skewed.. I managed to do a brick wall just about by typing random measurements into the length/width/height bit but it seems to be nearly impossible to do it when you're not sure how the texture is supposed to look when it's "right".

And you mean an automatic scale function for the textures that are applied? I don't think so.. I rescaled the model but all the measurements of the components still come up the same (wrong) size as they were before I scaled it all.. which is why I think the materials are still applying wrongly. Maybe I rescaled the model incorrectly wrong in the first place.... hmm. Sorry, thinking out loud. ARGH.
Reply 482
Hispanic-Impressions
The texture is supposed to be "hardwood flooring red oak".. the two orange boxes have both had that texture applied, I've messed around with the one furthest on the right (still looks very blurred and weird!) and the other orange box is as the texture currently appears, before trying to adjust it.

As soon as I adjust the tiling (well, say if i put 2s in each of the U V W tile bit) it goes completely skewed.. I managed to do a brick wall just about by typing random measurements into the length/width/height bit but it seems to be nearly impossible to do it when you're not sure how the texture is supposed to look when it's "right".

And you mean an automatic scale function for the textures that are applied? I don't think so.. I rescaled the model but all the measurements of the components still come up the same (wrong) size as they were before I scaled it all.. which is why I think the materials are still applying wrongly. Maybe I rescaled the model incorrectly wrong in the first place.... hmm. Sorry, thinking out loud. ARGH.

hmmm.. sorry I can't be of more help. Maybe someone who uses 3ds will be able to come up with some solutions. Maybe ask on some 3ds forums? just sign up and ask the guys on there, most of them use 3ds for a living and im sure they'll sort you out.
A couple of weeks before the final deadline i'm still not "feeling" my project... **** it, let's do some pretty pictures.

aaaand my tech 'review' went pretty badly too. Maybe I should do a different degree.
Ha, stick with it, only a year now!

That said, I feel absolutely terrible, I've lost all motivation, i want to do to the work, ish, but its been a week now and ive not done anything, missed 3 tutorials, getting so far behind, i dunno what up with me :frown:
Hispanic-Impressions
A couple of weeks before the final deadline i'm still not "feeling" my project... **** it, let's do some pretty pictures.

aaaand my tech 'review' went pretty badly too. Maybe I should do a different degree.

whats your final project about?
Untitled258
Ha, stick with it, only a year now!

That said, I feel absolutely terrible, I've lost all motivation, i want to do to the work, ish, but its been a week now and ive not done anything, missed 3 tutorials, getting so far behind, i dunno what up with me :frown:

I remember doin' my architecture degree, i totally lost motivation too, with not wanting to be an acrhitect & all lol but you just have to force yourself through, i resorted to sleeping all day and only workin at 3 am with music, thats what worked best for me. You in your final year?
Vybz Kartel
I remember doin' my architecture degree, i totally lost motivation too, with not wanting to be an acrhitect & all lol but you just have to force yourself through, i resorted to sleeping all day and only workin at 3 am with music, thats what worked best for me. You in your final year?

Nah not final year, 2nd. But, i did a year of my Btec art and design foundatio at a university, and a did a year of a BA 3d design, so its kinda like im in my 4th year. Ive decided im not being an architect, i decided that at the end of first year though. The last couple of days ive kinda go back into it though, hopefully on my way to catching up, i seem to be able to design quiet okay, quickly anyway so it might not be too bad.
Vybz Kartel
whats your final project about?

A theatre school.

Actually, I did okay in my tech. If I can get a similar grade in design I'll be bloody happy.
Untitled258
Nah not final year, 2nd. But, i did a year of my Btec art and design foundatio at a university, and a did a year of a BA 3d design, so its kinda like im in my 4th year. Ive decided im not being an architect, i decided that at the end of first year though. The last couple of days ive kinda go back into it though, hopefully on my way to catching up, i seem to be able to design quiet okay, quickly anyway so it might not be too bad.

i see, i decided halfway through my second year i didn't want to be an architect, which mad the rest of the course kinda gay lol. But some advice is start thinking now of your final project, because they expect you to have your idea on the 1st day back in the third year, plus do something yur passionate about. In my last year, everyone jumped on the sustainability bandwagon, which loads of people totally lost interest in so their projects werent as good as what they could be, plus with so many people doing a similar topic its easy to compare work. Work to your strenghs mine was creativity & design and i done a project no where like any body elses, which helped me get my motivation back. I done interior retail outlets based on clothing brands making the environemnt reflect the company so essentially 3 stores , 1 designed as an ice cream parolour, 1 as a space ship, 1 as a monkey enclosure. Sounds stupid lol ant loads of people laughed at my idea, but i absolutely loved it, was passionate about it, so i didnt lose my intrest, & for the people marking it , it was totally different & refreshing to see a new project, and to the people who laughed i got the last laugh cause i got a double A14 overall and got a 1st.
Hispanic-Impressions
A theatre school.

Actually, I did okay in my tech. If I can get a similar grade in design I'll be bloody happy.

seeen, was this a self imposed project? & what year are you in?
best of luck btw :smile:
Vybz Kartel
seeen, was this a self imposed project? & what year are you in?
best of luck btw :smile:

We got a choice between briefs losely based on a theatre school, library or outward-bound sports centre, in a specific town. We had to choose which brief, elaborate on the brief and choose an appropriate site.
2nd year - thanks.
:|
I think I've actually damaged my elbow from spending too much time drawing today. I finally had to stop half an hour ago because it's too painful to do any more :s-smilie:
I just put down to do architecture at portsmouth...

Thouroughly depressed after reading this thread XD
Portsmouth?

ha, a friend of mine went there. He seemed to have it easy and totally loved it. don't worry about it.
man even though it was the most stressful thing in the world i wish i was back at uni doin architecture again :frown:
Reply 497
I'm so stuck right now, someone just needs to kick me into action I swear... I HATE this feeling..
loveness
I'm so stuck right now, someone just needs to kick me into action I swear... I HATE this feeling..

what year are you in?
Vybz Kartel
man even though it was the most stressful thing in the world i wish i was back at uni doin architecture again :frown:

crickey - what are you doing now? i would never want to be in this situation again in my life. its the most unhappy i've ever felt. i am literally marking the days until its over.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending