The Student Room Group

What do I do with my hairy body (being female?)

Hi, I am 13 and a girl who has hit puberty early and quite badly. Apart from other things, one of the main issues is my body hair: under my arms, on my face, on my arms, legs, stomach, back and down there. I have tried waxing and yes, it worked. I am just so scared of my friends turning againest me when they see it all. Any advice for pain during waxing and whether this is normal?
Original post by Waxingornot
Hi, I am 13 and a girl who has hit puberty early and quite badly. Apart from other things, one of the main issues is my body hair: under my arms, on my face, on my arms, legs, stomach, back and down there. I have tried waxing and yes, it worked. I am just so scared of my friends turning againest me when they see it all. Any advice for pain during waxing and whether this is normal?

You'll eventually get used to the pain

Body hair is natural and your friends have it too. If they turn against you for having body hair then you should tell them they're hypocrites if they have any sort of body hair including eyelashes. It's natural and nothing to be ashamed of.
Original post by Waxingornot

Don’t worry, I hit puberty at age 9/10 so I was the very first girl out of my friends for this to happen lol (doesn’t help with the fact that I have VERY dark hair!)

Regarding your friends, they’re all going to reach that stage eventually - trust me. I remember being so scared about this type of stuff (even scared about telling them about my period!) but actually they don’t care because they know it’s normal.

I don’t wax (I shave, plus I don’t have effort to wax) but you could ice the area beforehand. I’ve never tried it but apparently it works. Eventually over time, you’ll barely feel the pain. You could also shave every now and then rather than waxing to give your skin a break.

But yes, this is normal so don’t worry about it. If you have just started all of this recently, 13 is the average age for it occurring. I always worried when I was 9 but it turns out it is quite normal even at that age. If you have a natural dark hair colour then the hair everywhere else will be dark too (probably). This can happen for people with other hair colours but it’s more common for it to match your hair colour.

Good luck x
(edited 5 years ago)
It's so dumb that female hairiness isn't socially accepted and women have to put themselves through all sorts of pain and suffering to look right...
Body hair is normal, excess body hair isn't - I'm aware it's hard to know what "excess" is, as you don't have a huge amount to compare it to. A lot of women think they have excess body hair when they don't - it just seems that way because people in magazines and on TV get rid of theirs. However there are some women with hormone imbalances who do genuinely have too much body hair, and if you feel you're one of those, seeing your GP would be a good idea. Do you have periods yet? Are they regular? If not, this could indicate further towards a hormone imblance.
It is totally normal to have more hair when you hit puberty, it happens to everyone. Some women have more hair than others but it is still totally normal. If you want to get rid of it I would recommend getting a razor as they won't hurt you (although they may cut you if you don't use shaving cream). Don't bother with the electric razors as they don't work very well, get a normal lady razor and that will work fine. If your friends turn against you for having body hair then they aren't very good friends at all. Yes waxing is supposed to hurt but as I have said you may be better off shaving rather than waxing
Reply 6
Original post by abbeyxo
Don’t worry, I hit puberty at age 9/10 so I was the very first girl out of my friends for this to happen lol (doesn’t help with the fact that I have VERY dark hair!)

Regarding your friends, they’re all going to reach that stage eventually - trust me. I remember being so scared about this type of stuff (even scared about telling them about my period!) but actually they don’t care because they know it’s normal.

I don’t wax (I shave, plus I don’t have effort to wax) but you could ice the area beforehand. I’ve never tried it but apparently it works. Eventually over time, you’ll barely feel the pain. You could also shave every now and then rather than waxing to give your skin a break.

But yes, this is normal so don’t worry about it. If you have just started all of this recently, 13 is the average age for it occurring. I always worried when I was 9 but it turns out it is quite normal even at that age. If you have a natural dark hair colour then the hair everywhere else will be dark too (probably). This can happen for people with other hair colours but it’s more common for it to match your hair colour.

Good luck x

Hi abbeyxo,
Thanks so much. Actually, to be honest, I started at about 9/10. Aw,I’ll try keep that it in my mind, when it comes to my friends. Hopefully, they won’t mind either. Thanks again
Bleach it?

Waxing eventually makes it come back less and less

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending