The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Don't worry about it - as with every uni there will always be international people. It just means it opens up your horizons more and you get more out of it really!

There's a surprisingly number of Chinese around but then again, Nottingham has the Ningbo campus in China, so it's unsurprising really. Don't worry, plenty of whites around too lol. From experience I've come across a LOT of Chinese, Germans, Africans (I know I shouldn't lump them together but then I'm not about to name every Afriacan country there is), Indians and needless to say, a lot of English people :biggrin: I've come across a few Latin Americans. I was actually quite surprised at the number of Germans in the place.

Don't worry, you'll find people that you get on with regardless of all this - one of my housemates is Latin American and my ex is German and one of my close friends is Nigerian and my housemate for next year is English. Culture clashes can be tough but they're so rewarding and you learn so much :smile: I wouldn't worry about us internationals :biggrin: Incidentally, I'm British Chinese myself lol - I haven't decided whether I'm English or Chinese yet so... count me as both lol :biggrin:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Bear in mind that Caucasian/"white" doesn't necessarily mean "British". I'm American and I know quite a few other Caucasian students that are from North America, EU countries, Africa, etc. Same with any other ethnicity.

@ Kingprawn -- my friends and I have done exclusively American things, I guess -- events with the purpose of having a get together for solely American students. To talk about the way things are back home, how we've adjusted to living here, what we miss, when we're visiting home... It's not at all about leaving others out. I sometimes feel really alone as one of the only American students here, so when a few of us meet up we don't feel as much excluded from certain things. Honestly, I wouldn't want a bunch of the "natives" joining in, simply because it wouldn't be of any benefit to "them" and it would just be a waste of time.
Reply 22
i just feel that as ive made the effort to include everyone, they should do the same. I totally understand the wanting to be around people from your own country.....you have the same interests, have more to talk about, same culture etc etc and thats important...but it just sometimes gets on my nerves when these parties actively refuse people from different cultures.
at my sixth form it was the same, there was chinese only parties and i had a chinese gf. i was never allowed to go along to these places an join in (i didnt really wnt to anyway, i cant speak chinese and jst felt outcasted) but it would have been nice to have been invited.
Reply 23
oh, and dnt worry if the large internation population is putting you off nottingham people! its like 80% english. and in catered halls its probably like 95%. you wont struggle to make friends unless youre a recluse.

Latest

Trending

Trending