The Student Room Group

Grow My Grades for Veterinary

VETERINARY-HOPEFULL GROW YOUR GRADES!!!!

I need a reason to revise more because I procrastinate so much so I am creating one of these to try to help myself! I tried in year 11 but was not dedicated so this time I'll be sure to update it regularly - especially if it motivates me to work more :redface:. (it might not be that interesting - I'm just going to be doing this for myself really)

I would like to be a vet and I take Biology, Chemistry and Maths A Levels.
I joined my maths class late because I switched from psychology so I have tried to catch up but my teacher is going to go over the first two topics with me to make sure I'm okay with them.

My dream would be to get A*A*A* but that is obviously just a dream and my more realistic goal is AAA as I need this to be eligible for all the vet unis but AAB would be okay for some of them.

GCSE results:

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have mocks coming up in January which I am planning to start light revision for now. In the first 2-3 weeks of sixth form I made flashcards every night however recently I have been slacking so I am going to try and catch up on my flashcards and do extra revision to try and reach my full potential.

Also I leave the house at 7:30 and get back from school at 5:00 so will be working from 6:00/6:30 most nights (I have to look after my horses as soon as I get home from school) and I like to stop working around 8:00/8:30 but I guess if I was super busy I would go later. I don't plan on working in the mornings until I get much closer to my mocks/real exams depending on how comfortable I'm feeling with the content because I already have to get up pretty early to do my horses (6:30).

I have 5 x 1hour periods at school everyday but most days I have 1 or 2 frees which I am going to do A level work in too.
Reply 2
Tonight I am going to start my flashcard-catch-up 19:00-20:00 and then 20:00-21:00 if I need to.

I am also going to work really hard in my frees at sixthform because I haven't been doing so and I want to get my grades; this morning I had a free and I did my maths homework which I need to ask my friend/the teacher about for some help on one or two questions tomorrow and then this afternoon I had a free and I managed to finish my biology homework so apart from my revision I have nothing that is urgent to do tonight :biggrin:

I made a revision/homework plan last night and I am planning to stick to it quite strictly to keep myself working hard!!
Reply 3
Okay so I had no frees today so couldn't do extra work at school but I got back a chemistry test result (which I didn't revise for - and I'm not just saying that, I genuinely forgot) and I got 60%! It doesn's sound that high I know but it was a really hard test and the class average was 48% so I am so proud of myself!!

I got home at 5:00 as usual and managed to get in about 45 minutes of work between doing my horses and having my tea, I started on the maths homework (questions from the textbook) which we had been set yesterday to do for Friday. I had my dinner and then watched some youtube and relaxed for about 30 minutes afterwards before continuing with the maths - I've just finshed (8:30) and my revision timetable I've made has flashcards down for me to do until the apprentice but I really cannot be bothered - I had a busy day and I'm super tired so I think I'm going to leave it :s-smilie::biggrin:

I also realised yesterday that I had actually already made flashcards for the first 2 maths topics a while ago and had forgotten about it so I'm ahead of where I thought I was with revision-materials which is good :smile:
Definitely going to be following this GYG blog :smile:. I've just applied (well over a month ago now) for vet school at Cambridge, Edinburgh, Nottingham, and Surrey so if you have any questions about vet school then just ask. I'm also taking the same A-levels as you so if you have any queries about them then I will try and help (I do AQA for bio and chem, and OCR for maths). Keep up-to-date with your schoolwork and I'm sure you'll smash your A-levels and get great grades like you did at GCSE :biggrin:.
Reply 5
Original post by OrangeArcher
Definitely going to be following this GYG blog :smile:. I've just applied (well over a month ago now) for vet school at Cambridge, Edinburgh, Nottingham, and Surrey so if you have any questions about vet school then just ask. I'm also taking the same A-levels as you so if you have any queries about them then I will try and help (I do AQA for bio and chem, and OCR for maths). Keep up-to-date with your schoolwork and I'm sure you'll smash your A-levels and get great grades like you did at GCSE :biggrin:.

Thanks so much!!
Original post by iz.vet
Thanks so much!!

Have you thought about which vet schools you would like to apply to (I know it's quite early to be thinking about them)?
Reply 7
Have you thought about which vet schools you would like to apply to (I know it's quite early to be thinking about them)?

Nottingham, Bristol and Liverpool would be my top 3, mainly because they are closest to where I live now - not that I would be living at home but I don't want to be 5 hours away or anything - and I would probably also apply to Surrey.

I haven't been to any open days yet though so not sure on which is my no.1, what did you like/dislike about the ones you visited?
ooh vet med! interesting! what made you drawn towards it?
Reply 9
Original post by mez_merising
ooh vet med! interesting! what made you drawn towards it?

I’ve lived on a farm all my life and have loved science since I started it so it’s always felt like the absolute perfect dream job :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by iz.vet
I’ve lived on a farm all my life and have lived science since I started it so it’s always felt like the absolute perfect dream job :smile:

woah thats so cool! how big is your farm?
Reply 11
woah thats so cool! how big is your farm?

550 acres x
Original post by iz.vet
550 acres x

blooooooody hell
that’s big right? im just assuming it is...my maths is terrible
Reply 14
that’s big right? im just assuming it is...my maths is terrible

Haha, there are farms which are much bigger - especially in the “agribusiness” industry! Do you want to be a vet?
Original post by iz.vet
Haha, there are farms which are much bigger - especially in the “agribusiness” industry! Do you want to be a vet?

nah I’m terrified of animals😂😂 I’m drawn towards just human med
Reply 16
So today I didn't get any work done in my free :s-smilie: but I went out to meet with friends who had moved sixthforms and it is a friday after all so I thought I could take a break :smile:
Tonight I'm not really going to do any work - I will do most of it on Sunday as my Saturdays are super busy but I had a 1-1 maths session with my teacher to catch me up (I switched from psychology in October) which was productive and I will hopefully manage to get some extra practise done some time as well.
Original post by iz.vet
Nottingham, Bristol and Liverpool would be my top 3, mainly because they are closest to where I live now - not that I would be living at home but I don't want to be 5 hours away or anything - and I would probably also apply to Surrey.

I haven't been to any open days yet though so not sure on which is my no.1, what did you like/dislike about the ones you visited?

Sorry I haven't replied sooner :frown: I loved the atmosphere and the structure of Surrey's vet school and it just felt like the perfect place for me. I found Edinburgh and Nottingham to pretty similar in that they were laid out really well and they had a similar vibe to Surrey's (I also loved the vet practices that Edinburgh have). I haven't actually visited Cambridge's vet school but I loved the city/university when I visited with my sixth form :smile:.
ah its good to take a break sometimes so don't feel guilty!
Reply 19
Sorry I haven't replied sooner :frown: I loved the atmosphere and the structure of Surrey's vet school and it just felt like the perfect place for me. I found Edinburgh and Nottingham to pretty similar in that they were laid out really well and they had a similar vibe to Surrey's (I also loved the vet practices that Edinburgh have). I haven't actually visited Cambridge's vet school but I loved the city/university when I visited with my sixth form :smile:.

Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest