The Student Room Group

BCU Diagnostic Radiography Interview 2018

Anyone got any tips on the interview i just got offered mine for 17th december. Very nervous! Any tips are appreciated guys!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joehamblett
Anyone got any tips on the interview i just got offered mine for 17th december. Very nervous! Any tips are appreciated guys!

I'm going to be there as well I'm so nervous
Mines on the 8th of Jan!! I'm scared, update me on how it goes and what they ask :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by CravingFries
Mines on the 8th of Jan!! I'm scared, update me on how it goes and what they ask :smile:

Will do!
How was the interview for you ? What happened, what kind of questions did they ask ?? Hope it went well for you!!
Reply 5
Interview couldn't have gone better, staff are amazing and very friendly, got a conditional offer! You get a written test which is very straight forward, then an 1-on-1 interview which is mainly about yourself and why you want to study there etc. Really dont worry its not that bad at all
What kind of written test? Maths and English?
Reply 7
No it was on radiogrpahy and why your suited to it
Reply 8
No it was on radiogrpahy and why your suited to it

Hi, I have an interview tomorrow, do they ask any scenario bases questions in the 1-on-1 interview?
Original post by Jit2._
Hi, I have an interview tomorrow, do they ask any scenario bases questions in the 1-on-1 interview?

Are you going to BCU?
Original post by Jit2._

No not that i remember, i do remember a lot of personality based questions such as how would your friends describe u in 3 words.
Interview couldn't have gone better, staff are amazing and very friendly, got a conditional offer! You get a written test which is very straight forward, then an 1-on-1 interview which is mainly about yourself and why you want to study there etc. Really dont worry its not that bad at all

What sort of question were in the written exam ? Do we need to know anything particular towards radiogrpahy like position or who invented it ? Got a interview soon and I’m very nervous. And was there any tricky questions ? So happy for you and that you got an offer but any tips you can share ?
What university is this?
Original post by Elise1995
What university is this?

Birminghan city university is guessing
Well telling you the questions would be unfair for everyone involved. But I can say it is just a written test. No English or maths tests.
Well telling you the questions would be unfair for everyone involved. But I can say it is just a written test. No English or maths tests.

Not really because everyone can see this and benefit from it 😂😂 but yh thanks
Which is why I won't be telling you the questions. Most already know that it's just a written test from a previous post.
Which is why I won't be telling you the questions. Most already know that it's just a written test from a previous post.

Which post ?
Where can I find it ?
On diagnostic radiography 2019
Reply 19
Can I butt in here and ask "Why Radiography?"

I know all about this job and frankly, if I were 18, I wouldn't be going into any HCP job that wasn't 'guaranteed' Mon-Fri 9-5.

The NHS is a rubbish employer. There are staff shortages for a reason, not least of which you might very easily find yourself doing what should be a 15 person rolling rota with 5 or 6 of you. That's a lot of night-shift and practically every single weekend either on duty or on-call during at least a part of it.

How to solve the crisis? Employ from abroad, but, because ever fewer 'quality' staff want to be part of a post Brexit NHS, you will find yourself working alongside colleagues who are actually evidently not qualified... And while the Golden Hello's being handed out to newly qualifieds look great (you may even have a job lined up before you even start your final year!)- you have to ask yourself what the working conditions are like that they're so desperate to grab you.

The workload is getting heavier and heavier (both in terms of demand and manual handling) as the populace ages; as does your equipment. The short-termism in the NHS means some kit you're using will be older than you. You'll despair when you KNOW you really aren't giving your patients the time and attention they need because there Just Isn't Time; you're exhausted and the kit is held together with gaffer-tape. You'll encounter more and more aggressive and litigious patients (thank the red-top hostile press for that); you'll be striking annually to 'make' the government hand out the independent pay review body's recommendations- you'll hear about the 'great terms and condition, the gold-plated pensions' of the NHS which historically compensated for relatively poor pay. The pay's still not great but the T&Cs are eroded year by year.

It's getting harder and harder to find part-time, or 9-5 work; middle-management (who are themselves working 9-5...) find it much 'easier' to impose 12-13 hour shifts for rostering purposes. Many young, single radiographers like it, 3 (long) day's work and your working week's done! But try doing that when you have kids or you're 60...

Advancement? Once upon a time, it was CT, US, MRI, Nuc Med, Reporting. Now CT is becoming 'just something everyone does', MRI is 13 hour shifts, few exceptions (try that with a family...); US is over-crowded and you really need to want to do that; Nuc Med (apart from the radio-nuclides from the EU issue...)- you're stuck with large DGHs to work in; Reporting is a growing field but you'll be reporting on ever poorer imaging, which brings me onto apprenticeships.

It hasn't been thrashed out how these are going to work, what grade they'll be, whether you, as a 1 year qualified Band 5 with a £30k debt, will be 'forced' to oversee the work of 3 or 4 other staff who a) will have no debt, and b) got nowhere near A levels, let alone a degree.

Finally dismal point: radiography, unlike say nursing, isn't in itself a particularly transferable skill. And you can't set up a private practice (tho you can work in one, but the pay is no better).

I am so sorry to be so negative, but you do need to consider all of this before jumping into radiography.

Quick Reply

Latest