The Student Room Group

Struggling to do course work

I've been struggling with my mental heath for some time and it's reached the point that I can't start any coursework without having panic attacks. I don't want to quit uni or take a gap year because I know it won't help me in any way, shape or form. But it's got to the point that I've already applied for mitigating circumstances for 5 projects.

I don't know what to do because I love my course, I don't want to give up but what else can I do? I need to do the work in order to get into 2nd year.
Reply 1
Original post by CosgroveS
I've been struggling with my mental heath for some time and it's reached the point that I can't start any coursework without having panic attacks. I don't want to quit uni or take a gap year because I know it won't help me in any way, shape or form. But it's got to the point that I've already applied for mitigating circumstances for 5 projects.

I don't know what to do because I love my course, I don't want to give up but what else can I do? I need to do the work in order to get into 2nd year.

Talk to your university (personal tutor, head of department or student officer) about postponing all your pieces of work for this semester, or just leaving university temporarily. Leaving university for awhile will definitely help you in every way, as you cannot do any work so far.

First things first, sorry to hear that your feeling like this.

It would be best to talk to your personal tutor on your situation and see what can be done to get through your issues. Maybe its worth while simply to pause your studies and resume it next year, whilst in the mean time you should focus on getting better and perhaps even seek counselling too.

One big factor to consider, is if your courseworks all gets deferred to following semester, can you handle the workload on top of Semester B work or will this further worsen your mental health issues And lead to further study problems.

Remember health comes first. So you should focus on getting better rather than doing any work now.
Reply 3
I get that I have to focus on my health, but being out of education is going to make things worse. I've been at home for christmas for only 2 weeks and I feel so much worse. I just wish there was a way for me to stay in education but have a different way to do work, like presentations or something (weirdly I love public speaking and presentations despite my anxiety).
I get that I have to focus on my health, but being out of education is going to make things worse. I've been at home for christmas for only 2 weeks and I feel so much worse. I just wish there was a way for me to stay in education but have a different way to do work, like presentations or something (weirdly I love public speaking and presentations despite my anxiety).

Unfortunately, universities dont do that as far I know. At best, you can pospone doing the coursework nd do it as a first sitting later in Semester B or get a exension deadline. So doing the coursework in the same format is really unavoidable.

It would be best to speak to your personal tutor to see what can be done, because if you do coursework again at a later date then you may go back to square one and the problems will uust repeat itself.

If this issue arising out of coursework alone, then what do you feel would happen in exam you reckon?
:frown: Wishing you all the best with your mental health..

Get in touch with a student officer and your course leader, they may be able to provide you some support or extenuating circumstances. The only other suggestion I can offer you is trying to better your mental health through some of the basic (and somewhat generic advice) such as exercise, eating healthy, so on and so forth.

Uni isn't for everyone. If you can't crack it, there's no shame in dropping out. I wouldn't advise it but sometimes it just isn't the right fit for everyone. Hopefully you can sort things out by getting in touch with a few members of faculty.

Josh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending