The Student Room Group

Success from tinder?

How many of you have had much success on tinder, I've had it for like a month now and I probably only get like 5 or 6 matches a week average but with like half of my total matches being in the first week I had it and then random days where I get like 3 matches in 5 minutes, which is lame but like I understand I am not super hot and my bio is quite niche.

But my main issue is with all of my matches I've had only 2 of them have ever replied, and one has stopped replying seemingly randomly.

I tried the jokey intros, flirty pick up lines, just saying hey, a question about the bio or something random. I mean half the time people barely have any useful pictures or info in their bio to really start a conversation, what am I meant to do?

Like at this point, I am not even fussed about the dating aspect I just want a conversation.

Scroll to see replies

I usually ask them a question such as 'what does your ideal weekend away consist of doing?' I'm also picky with the profiles I swipe on e.g. I always read their bio and if it's blank, I swipe left. I met my current partner on tinder so it's not all doom and gloom on there. Had it since February (:
Just go outside. I promise it's better in the real world.
My one experience of Tinder was two years ago, I made an account and within the space of one weekend I ended up talking to more than 40 people, most of whom were really boring, but I was too nice to just ignore them haha.
I then met my partner - not through Tinder, ironically - but I still talk to a couple of the guys I met on there as we clicked as friends :smile:.
Reply 4
Original post by Trust Orang
Just go outside. I promise it's better in the real world.

I don't understand, like approach random people in the street or on the bus? I'm fairly certain I've never seen someone just come up to anyone in public asking for a date or a number.

Original post by Jackaleksandr
I usually ask them a question such as 'what does your ideal weekend away consist of doing?' I'm also picky with the profiles I swipe on e.g. I always read their bio and if it's blank, I swipe left. I met my current partner on tinder so it's not all doom and gloom on there. Had it since February (:

I am quite picky too, like I definitely don't swipe right on every profile, maybe 65%. Its only when I heard one of my friends at work found someone via tinder that I decided to download it
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
My one experience of Tinder was two years ago, I made an account and within the space of one weekend I ended up talking to more than 40 people, most of whom were really boring, but I was too nice to just ignore them haha.
I then met my partner - not through Tinder, ironically - but I still talk to a couple of the guys I met on there as we clicked as friends :smile:.

Oh wow 40 people in one weekend? And how do you really know someone is boring via tinder, what is your current partner like that they're not boring vs the people on tinder?
Original post by Anonymous
I don't understand, like approach random people in the street or on the bus? I'm fairly certain I've never seen someone just come up to anyone in public asking for a date or a number.

I am quite picky too, like I definitely don't swipe right on every profile, maybe 65%. Its only when I heard one of my friends at work found someone via tinder that I decided to download it

Oh wow 40 people in one weekend? And how do you really know someone is boring via tinder, what is your current partner like that they're not boring vs the people on tinder?

I mean join a club or something you like. Often there are people there you'd get along with. Even if you don't get to bang, you'll make new friends and some of them may have cute sisters/brothers who are single. Act in the world with purpose, for yourself, and whims that occupy you, not deference to the whims of shrill sirens calling you to the shores of rejection to feed the Sisyphean gluttony of their egoism.
I used Tinder once just to see what all the fuss was about. I'm surprised to say I got quite a lot of matches but I didn't go any further with them cos I was just trying the app out. Had some decent convos here and there though.
Reply 7
I mean join a club or something you like. Often there are people there you'd get along with. Even if you don't get to bang, you'll make new friends and some of them may have cute sisters/brothers who are single. Act in the world with purpose, for yourself, and whims that occupy you, not deference to the whims of shrill sirens calling you to the shores of rejection to feed the Sisyphean gluttony of their egoism.

I'd have to go out of my way really, the area I am in isn't really filled with people my age but I am there on placement. I also spend a lot of time at work for placement and down the pub, doing stuff I like quite often but the people there aren't really my age. Like other than 1 other placement student, the next youngest person in my office is 15 years older than me.
I'd have to go out of my way really, the area I am in isn't really filled with people my age but I am there on placement. I also spend a lot of time at work for placement and down the pub, doing stuff I like quite often but the people there aren't really my age. Like other than 1 other placement student, the next youngest person in my office is 15 years older than me.

Then go out of your way. I don't care, be single and lonely. What kind of handout are you asking for? Surely you'd be willingly making a little effort for something you want, right?
Reply 9
Then go out of your way. I don't care, be single and lonely. What kind of handout are you asking for? Surely you'd be willingly making a little effort for something you want, right?

I mean I am not lonely, I am doing stuff almost everyday with people and I love my work. I don't just want to meet anyone, like on tinder I tend to swipe for people with similar interests in their bio or there are usually some indicators. I mean I'd have to go like out of my borough, I just feel like if I was going to get a train out of the area I'd at least have an event planned for rather than trying my luck for nothing.
I feel if you speak like that, we'd have a different idea of what a 10/10 is
I mean I am not lonely, I am doing stuff almost everyday with people and I love my work. I don't just want to meet anyone, like on tinder I tend to swipe for people with similar interests in their bio or there are usually some indicators. I mean I'd have to go like out of my borough, I just feel like if I was going to get a train out of the area I'd at least have an event planned for rather than trying my luck for nothing.

What a stupid thing to say. I honestly can't believe anyone - even someone so buffeted by the buoyancy of inebriation - could have completely misunderstood what I said so completely. Please go back and try again, for your own sake.

That's not what I meant and you know it.
Tinder is for lonely men who feel desperate and needs nsa sex for confidence. Forget tinder. Focus on wifing a girl up

Because with some people, conversation flows and feels easy, and with others it's just one sided or shallow. Okay so maybe they're not boring, so let's just say we didn't click.
Tinder is just a huge waste of time.

So many girls on it just want to match with guys for either a ONS or just for the attention.

Had much better luck on real dating websites, ones with hefty monthly pay tags!

I literally just paid for a subscription to match.com. Then the day after I was like nah I’m not using this.

Working on the face to face side of things now.
What a stupid thing to say. I honestly can't believe anyone - even someone so buffeted by the buoyancy of inebriation - could have completely misunderstood what I said so completely. Please go back and try again, for your own sake.

That's not what I meant and you know it.

In what way did I misunderstand you? You suggested I just go out of my way to meet people when I am saying if I am going to travel to meet someone I’d prefer for it to be preplanned than me going to join a club
In what way did I misunderstand you? You suggested I just go out of my way to meet people when I am saying if I am going to travel to meet someone I’d prefer for it to be preplanned than me going to join a club

Pls no.
Reply 17

I saw a study saying the average male swipes 50% of females and the average female swipes 15% of guys.
Assuming you are male you are definately not "quite picky" with a 65% swipe rate

you are like 30% less picky than the average male ..and the average male is far from picky
I’ve had some really interesting experiences as a result of using tinder, so I’d say it’s worth it if you’re willing to accept some awkward bad dates.
Original post by WaffleApple
Tinder is just a huge waste of time.

So many girls on it just want to match with guys for either a ONS or just for the attention.

Had much better luck on real dating websites, ones with hefty monthly pay tags!

I literally just paid for a subscription to match.com. Then the day after I was like nah I’m not using this.

Working on the face to face side of things now.

I’m confused. If you had better luck on real dating websites with monthly paid subscription, why did you stop using match.com the day after you started a paid subscription for it?

Latest

Trending

Trending