The Student Room Group

Hard work is a SCAM

in a lot of cases. Of course it can help improve you at something to which you already possess some form of innate ability, aka it can polish natural talent and take it further, but it can never make up for lack of it.

Pisses me off when more gifted people belittle others for their "wrong attitudes" and negativity in whatever endeavour due to factors outside of their control; aka genetics and luck.

Life is *****

Scroll to see replies

I just pick myself back up whenever i fail and dust myself off. Nothings impossible if you actually try.
Original post by Redslayed
I just pick myself back up whenever i fail and dust myself off. Nothings impossible if you actually try.

[video="youtube;AGUsRGuZb6k"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGUsRGuZb6k[/video]

this is a great attitude to have in life :h:
Reply 3
Hard work doesn't always lead to success - you haveto have some natural talent as well.
Reply 4
Original post by the bear
[video="youtube;AGUsRGuZb6k"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGUsRGuZb6k[/video]

No it's not, it's ********. If nothing was impossible through hard work, how would evolution take place?
I think OP here underrates hard work.
Whilst having talent is extremely helpful in life, one can never "rest on their laurels" and not do any work. This applies to everything, from sports to academics to arts etc.
Original post by Anonymous
This line of thinking irritates me; it is both misleading and incredibly moronic.

Did you even bother trying or just gave yourself and friend&family the illusion that you're actually trying. I see a lot of people who say they're "revising" for exams and put on their snapchat of some work. In reality you're only fooling yourself. And by the time they get their results they complain about their grades.

And i think that statement is true, because there was a point where i was less than everyone and i was wondering around, unsure of what to do. Through hard work i was able to achieve results.
in a lot of cases. Of course it can help improve you at something to which you already possess some form of innate ability, aka it can polish natural talent and take it further, but it can never make up for lack of it.

Pisses me off when more gifted people belittle others for their "wrong attitudes" and negativity in whatever endeavour due to factors outside of their control; aka genetics and luck.

Life is *****

What exactly are you referring to here? You mention genetics and luck so I’m guessing appearances and money. But also mention gifted people?

Hard work gets you a hell of a lot further than you think it can. But sure, a lot of people have more help / don’t have to work as hard along the way. Doesn’t mean you can look at them and say “well **** I didn’t have that so now I can’t do it”,
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by the bear

I swear, i didn't get it from there. :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by Redslayed
Did you even bother trying or just gave yourself and friend&family the illusion that you're actually trying. I see a lot of people who say they're "revising" for exams and put on their snapchat of some work. In reality you're only fooling yourself. And by the time they get their results they complain about their grades.

And i think that statement is true, because there was a point where i was less than everyone and i was wondering around, unsure of what to do. Through hard work i was able to achieve results.

You're referring to school exams, the passing/doing well in of which are not a true test of success or intelligence (unless you're one of the few who does no revision and aces). A lot of kids have other commitments at school and therefore cannot devote all their time solely to exam revision, therefore yes, someone who is less gifted in that area can do well with extra work.

However when you're working full time at something, day job or even uni, everyone is there for the same reason as you are, and is consequently putting in a decent amount of work. There comes a point (usually at this stage) in life where hard work simply cannot beat nor match others who are genetically superior
Original post by FloralHybrid
What exactly are you referring to here? You mention genetics and luck so I’m guessing appearances and money. But also mention gifted people?

Hard work gets you a hell of a lot further than you think it can. But sure, a lot of people have more help / don’t have to work as hard along the way. Doesn’t mean you can look at them and say “well **** I didn’t have that so now I can’t do it”,

Most areas of life.

Like I said, hard work can improve yourself in these but it can't make up for lack of natural talent. There is a reason why only a handful of people in the world are where they are whilst others bust their balls and don't achieve a fraction of what they did
Bitterness is unhealthy.
Most areas of life.

Like I said, hard work can improve yourself in these but it can't make up for lack of natural talent. There is a reason why only a handful of people in the world are where they are whilst others bust their balls and don't achieve a fraction of what they did

Again, you’re being super vague. It’s simply not the case that a handful of people achieve success and everyone else tries super hard and doesn’t get it. Either you need to manage your expectations, or accept that you’re not working as hard or as effectively as you could be.
Everything in life doesn't reward hard work. Hard work doesn't get you promotions. It doesn't get you good grade. It doesn't get you relationships. Don't work as hard as you can it's not worth it
Original post by FloralHybrid
Again, you’re being super vague. It’s simply not the case that a handful of people achieve success and everyone else tries super hard and doesn’t get it. Either you need to manage your expectations, or accept that you’re not working as hard or as effectively as you could be.

Alright fine, the most obvious examples are sports ones. Usain Bolt and Michael Phelps are not the best in their fields because they work harder, they're the best because they were born to be, and no amount of work from someone else is/was gonna change that. I'd actually hazard to say that either of these two could've put in half the training hours of their olympic competitors and still would've beaten them.

It's the same story in the corporate world (granted less obvious to visualise). It's foolish to say that billionaires like Alan Sugar or Mark Zuckerberg are richer than most of their peers just because they worked harder; they're businessmen, all they do is work! What got them near to the top was both luck and their inherited mental gifts.
No it's not, it's ********. If nothing was impossible through hard work, how would evolution take place?

evolushun is fake noos
Reply 16
Alright fine, the most obvious examples are sports ones. Usain Bolt and Michael Phelps are not the best in their fields because they work harder, they're the best because they were born to be, and no amount of work from someone else is/was gonna change that. I'd actually hazard to say that either of these two could've put in half the training hours of their olympic competitors and still would've beaten them.

It's the same story in the corporate world (granted less obvious to visualise). It's foolish to say that billionaires like Alan Sugar or Mark Zuckerberg are richer than most of their peers just because they worked harder; they're businessmen, all they do is work! What got them near to the top was both luck and their inherited mental gifts.

99% hard work. 1% luck.
There's a difference between making excuses and spreading the truth.

Why does everyone think that these "biological differences" are solely those that are physical? Ever occur to you that the way you think, ie your intelligence, grasping of problems/ideas and quick-thinking are all heritable factors too? And therefore the same argument applies; no matter how hard you work, you'll never have the problem solving skills of Steven Hawking, or the ear for music as Mozart. You can even argue that the willingness to work hard is also a heritable factor.

I'm not saying you shouldn't work hard, rather you should reevaluate your goals. It's very demeaning to people who give something a legitimate goal, and get absolutely blown away by someone who half-arsed it, and then get told by that same person "oh, it's just because I work extremely hard and love what I do, try doing this and that next time"..
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. It's that simple.
Original post by PorkyPi
99% hard work. 1% luck.

No it's not; I presume you're referring to the Sugar/Zuckerberg example?

I'd agree that their hard work was far more important than any experienced luck, but if your average Joe Schmoe did the same he wouldn't have got half as far because he/she doesn't possess the same intelligence/mental gifts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending