The Student Room Group

Listing my first-year results?

Hi, I'm currently in the process of applying for 2nd year entry in a subject at a different university. I read here and a couple of other places a few days ago that I should list my first-year marks under 'Other (UK Qualifications) in the education section. However I've just been on the phone to UCAS where the woman told me that isn't right, and that I should simply list the university of Liverpool but say that I haven't received any qualifications.

Now I'm very unsure which to do?
Original post by Samiz
Hi, I'm currently in the process of applying for 2nd year entry in a subject at a different university. I read here and a couple of other places a few days ago that I should list my first-year marks under 'Other (UK Qualifications) in the education section. However I've just been on the phone to UCAS where the woman told me that isn't right, and that I should simply list the university of Liverpool but say that I haven't received any qualifications.

Since you completed and passed your first year, you should list your first year modules and marks under other, as then they are able to compare how close it is to their own degrees. It could be a good idea to send a copy of your transcript once you've applied to give them more details of what you studied in first year.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Since you completed and passed your first year, you should list your first year modules and marks under other, as then they are able to compare how close it is to their own degrees. It could be a good idea to send a copy of your transcript once you've applied to give them more details of what you studied in first year.

Thanks, I've got off the phone again and I was told that I could list my modules under other UK qualifications, however apparently UCAS generally advise not to do this if you don't plan on completing the degree, because universities can simply request a transcript? I would obviously prefer to list my modules under other qualifications as they are very good marks but I'm a little bit scared of this adversely affecting my application now
Original post by Samiz
Thanks, I've got off the phone again and I was told that I could list my modules under other UK qualifications, however apparently UCAS generally advise not to do this if you don't plan on completing the degree, because universities can simply request a transcript? I would obviously prefer to list my modules under other qualifications as they are very good marks but I'm a little bit scared of this adversely affecting my application now

If you have good marks then it won't do any harm listing them all, in fact i d say its a good idea to do so. Have you spoken to the universities you are applying to beforehand?
Original post by Samiz

Original post by Samiz

UCAS have got their temp staff in to cover the busy period before the deadline.

This time of year they'll give out all sorts of crap advice just to get people off the phone. If you ask for the name and job title of the person you speak to then the quality of their answers will improve enormously.

From the point of view of a university it is MUCH more helpful if an applicant lists their modules and marks (using the Other option) from their transcript IN their UCAS application. Requesting the information on top of that slows everything down even more.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
UCAS have got their temp staff in to cover the busy period before the deadline.

This time of year they'll give out all sorts of crap advice just to get people off the phone.

From the point of view of a university it is MUCH more helpful if an applicant lists their modules and marks (using the Other option) from their transcript IN their UCAS application. Requesting the information on top of that slows everything down even more.

Thanks very much, so would the image I've attached be right (there are 10 modules in total)?

Also, I'm a little bit worried in case the university does ask for an up-to-date transcript regarding my second year results. I spoke to the admissions team this morning and they said whether I decide to complete 2nd year or not at my current uni is irrelevant as they only care about my 1st year results.

I was planning on completing 2nd year only for the preparation and because I'm doing a valuable internship - but now I'm considering dropping out in case I get asked for a transcript after my January exams which I'm not going to do well in as I'm obviously more focused on my application right now.

Finally, for uni of Liverpool in my education section I've put 2017-2018, however because I'm in 2nd year and am undecided on whether to complete the year for preparation, and because my reference will be from my current 2nd year tutor, would I be expected to put 2017-2019?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Samiz
Thanks very much, so would the image I've attached be right (there are 10 modules in total)? Although, I got these from my results email rather than my transcript.

Also, I'm a little bit worried in case the university does ask for an up-to-date transcript regarding my second year results. I spoke to the admissions team this morning and they said whether I decide to complete 2nd year or not at my current uni is irrelevant as they only care about my 1st year results.

I was planning on completing 2nd year only for the preparation and because I'm doing a valuable internship - but now I'm considering dropping out in case I get asked for a transcript after my January exams which I'm not going to do well in as I'm obviously more focused on my application right now.

Finally, for uni of Liverpool in my education section I've put 2017-2018, however because I'm in 2nd year and am undecided on whether to complete the year for preparation, and because my reference will be from my current 2nd year tutor, would I be expected to put 2017-2019?

You subject needs to state "First Year" - otherwise you are claiming to have a pass for a BSc which you don't have (and will not have). You don't need the C800 course code and you shouldn't state (Hons) because you will only get hons if you complete a required number of final year modules (which you wont). It should say "First Year BSc Psychology"

If you're at Liverpool now then putting 2017/18 for your attendance would be fraudulent. You need to state your expected dates of attendance and list your second year as a second "Other" qualification with pending results.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
You subject needs to state "First Year" - otherwise you are claiming to have a pass for a BSc which you don't have (and will not have). You don't need the C800 course code and you shouldn't state (Hons) because you will only get hons if you complete a required number of final year modules (which you wont). It should say "First Year BSc Psychology"

If you're at Liverpool now then putting 2017/18 for your attendance would be fraudulent. You need to state your expected dates of attendance and list your second year as a second "Other" qualification with pending results.

I have spoken to another person at Bristol who has told me completely differently to the first person; he told me to include all details of my potential 2nd year modules whether or not I intend to complete them but reassured me that this basically won't be taken into account when looking through my application.

So I'm going to do that, however I'm thinking of also adding in my personal statement: "I have listed my second-year modules in my application however I have spoken to the admissions team at Bristol and informed them that I am currently uncertain on how much more of second-year I will complete. I am committed to the courses I have chosen in my application, and the reasons I am considering continuing - but not completing - my current second year is for further preparation if I get accepted to start in September, and to gain more experience with my student internship."

Also, regarding the 'results' boxes for my 2nd year, would you advise I leave it blank, write 'pending', or write 'will not complete'?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Samiz
I have spoken to another person at Bristol who has told me completely differently to the first person; he told me to include all details of my potential 2nd year modules whether or not I intend to complete them but reassured me that this basically won't be taken into account when looking through my application.

So I'm going to do that, however I'm thinking of also adding in my personal statement: "I have listed my second-year modules in my application however I have spoken to the admissions team at Bristol and informed them that I am currently uncertain on how much more of second-year I will complete. I am committed to the courses I have chosen in my application, and the reasons I am considering continuing - but not completing - my current second year is for further preparation if I get accepted to start in September, and to gain more experience with my student internship."

I wouldn't recommend including that in your PS. It sounds like you're trying to tell Bristol what offer to make when that isn't your decision.

List all your second year modules if you're intending to stay on your course until the end of the year. If you're planning to withdraw from your course before the end of the year then adjust your leaving date for your current university to reflect that and only list the modules that will be completed at that point.

IF you get an offer that asks for a specific second year mark (unlikely given what Bristol have said over the phone - but then if you didn't ask for and record the name and job title of the people you spoke to then it will be difficult to argue this if you've been given incorrect advice over the phone) THEN contact the university concerned to explain that you're considering not finishing the year and asking them to amend their offer. If and when you decide to drop your current course (and tbh I would recommend finishing the year and trying to pass your modules - that way you will have a qualification DipHE to show for the year - DipHE is pass/fail so you don't need to worry about getting an amazing mark, you also ensure you get your full maintenance loan for the year even if you fail your modules) you'll also need to notify your universities that you wont be completing all of your pending modules.
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
I wouldn't recommend including that in your PS. It sounds like you're trying to tell Bristol what offer to make when that isn't your decision.

List all your second year modules if you're intending to stay on your course until the end of the year. If you're planning to withdraw from your course before the end of the year then adjust your leaving date for your current university to reflect that and only list the modules that will be completed at that point.

IF you get an offer that asks for a specific second year mark (unlikely given what Bristol have said over the phone - but then if you didn't ask for and record the name and job title of the people you spoke to then it will be difficult to argue this if you've been given incorrect advice over the phone) THEN contact the university concerned to explain that you're considering not finishing the year and asking them to amend their offer. If and when you decide to drop your current course (and tbh I would recommend finishing the year and trying to pass your modules - that way you will have a qualification DipHE to show for the year - DipHE is pass/fail so you don't need to worry about getting an amazing mark, you also ensure you get your full maintenance loan for the year even if you fail your modules) you'll also need to notify your universities that you wont be completing all of your pending modules.

So I've changed my uni dates to 2017-2019 and I'm listing my 2nd year modules under a separate 'Other UK qualifications' June 2019 qualification just like I listed my first year modules, and I'm going to include the summer modules too just in case I end up doing the exams for the preparation - the last person I spoke to said to simply email the uni if I change my mind on completing a module(s).

I've left all of the 'result' boxes - for 2nd year overall and each module - blank as per what it says to do on the UCAS application.

And regarding the personal statement, do you think it would help to say I plan on continuing second year because of my internship and for preparation, or do you just simply advise not mentioning 2nd year at all (apart from when I actually talk in detail about my internship)?

Finally, obviously I'd be surprised and don't expect to fail any of my January exams, but if I did, am I right in assuming this shouldn't affect my application to Bristol, unless in the unlikely circumstance that they give me an offer dependent on my second year results?

Once again thanks for all your help it's extremely appreciated
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Samiz
So I've changed my uni dates to 2017-2019 and I'm listing my 2nd year modules under a separate 'Other UK qualifications' June 2019 qualification just like I listed my first year modules, and I'm going to include the summer modules too just in case I end up doing the exams for the preparation - the last person I spoke to said to simply email the uni if I change my mind on completing a module(s).

I've left all of the 'result' boxes - for 2nd year overall and each module - blank as per what it says to do on the UCAS application.

And regarding the personal statement, do you think it would help to say I plan on continuing second year based on my internship and for preparation, or do you just simply advise not mentioning it at all?

Finally, obviously I'd be surprised and don't expect to fail any of my January exams, but if I did, am I right in assuming this shouldn't affect my application to Bristol, unless in the unlikely circumstance that they give me an offer dependent on my second year results?

Once again thanks for all your help it's extremely appreciated

For your PS - if you want to talk about your second year then talk about the DETAILS of what you've done on your internship and how you've benefited. You don't need to justify your decision to continue your current year (or if you decide to leave you don't need to justify that either). Your focus should be on why you enjoy your subject and what you're hoping to gain (and give) through studying at Bristol. Talk about why Bristol is attractive to you (academically and personally) NOT about why you're unhappy at Liverpool.

Unless Bristol ask for a transcript of 2nd year marks (unlikely given what they've said) then you don't have to provide one. Make sure you've got your first year transcript before you sit your January exams so that you can send that through.
Reply 11
Original post by PQ
For your PS - if you want to talk about your second year then talk about the DETAILS of what you've done on your internship and how you've benefited. You don't need to justify your decision to continue your current year (or if you decide to leave you don't need to justify that either). Your focus should be on why you enjoy your subject and what you're hoping to gain (and give) through studying at Bristol. Talk about why Bristol is attractive to you (academically and personally) NOT about why you're unhappy at Liverpool.

Unless Bristol ask for a transcript of 2nd year marks (unlikely given what they've said) then you don't have to provide one. Make sure you've got your first year transcript before you sit your January exams so that you can send that through.

I hope you don't mind me asking one final question, but I just realised that I did attend the university of Sussex in 2016 despite dropping out after about 3 weeks, so would I be expected to add this to my education as per attached? Even though it doesn't look great on my behalf, I assume it's better than lying about it, and plus I could expand on this in my personal statement vaguely explaining why I dropped out and how I turned that year into a positive by getting work experience at a special needs secondary school
suss.png
Original post by Samiz
I hope you don't mind me asking one final question, but I just realised that I did attend the university of Sussex in 2016 despite dropping out after about 3 weeks, so would I be expected to add this to my education as per attached? Even though it doesn't look great on my behalf, I assume it's better than lying about it, and plus I could expand on this in my personal statement vaguely explaining why I dropped out and how I turned that year into a positive by getting work experience at a special needs secondary school
suss.png

Yep that's fine - the dates make it clear that it was short (if not sweet).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending