The Student Room Group

UCAS track app??

So theres an unofficial app on Google Play which allows you to use track, well, as an app. I didnt give it too much thought and installed it, logged in, everything is fine. However, Ive stumbled upon a discussion about it on here. Although people who have used said it was okay, there were people who said it was violating UCAS's t&c; if UCAS figured out they can reject your application; the app developer may steal your data and **** up your application etc. Now i dont find any logical reason for them to do that; but as an overthinker I am really highly concerned about my data. I also cant change my password bc Im applying through an agency and Ill have to waste their time with this ******** of a situation. I have not read a single concerning review on the app and idk why I am so paranoid. But I wanted to ask if any of you have used it and if anything has gone wrong ¿
Reply 1
ExCuSe me im panicing here,, someone reply??
Original post by uuuhhh
So theres an unofficial app on Google Play which allows you to use track, well, as an app. I didnt give it too much thought and installed it, logged in, everything is fine. However, Ive stumbled upon a discussion about it on here. Although people who have used said it was okay, there were people who said it was violating UCAS's t&c; if UCAS figured out they can reject your application; the app developer may steal your data and **** up your application etc. Now i dont find any logical reason for them to do that; but as an overthinker I am really highly concerned about my data. I also cant change my password bc Im applying through an agency and Ill have to waste their time with this ******** of a situation. I have not read a single concerning review on the app and idk why I am so paranoid. But I wanted to ask if any of you have used it and if anything has gone wrong ¿

I think you could just contact the university if in doubt.
Reply 3
Original post by JMR2019.
I think you could just contact the university if in doubt.

i dont think they are going to respond in this time of the year specifically,, but thanks!!
Original post by uuuhhh

Ucas forbid apps for a reason (they had their own a few years ago - it ddosed their own servers on results day and no one could login all day). If they suspect your account is being accessed by an app they are likely to lock your account (and who knows why you would share your login details with a bunch of people who are making illegal apps?).

Change your password. Change your password for any other services you use the same password for. Uninstall the app.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
Ucas forbid apps for a reason (they had their own a few years ago - it ddosed their own servers on results day and no one could login all day). If they suspect your account is being accessed by an app they are likely to lock your account (and who knows why you would share your login details with a bunch of people who are making illegal apps?).

Change your password. Change your password for any other services you use the same password for. Uninstall the app

i deinstalled it and i think it should be fine now? i dont know can anyone actually do anything without access to the email? i didnt really realise it was illegal it had like 10k downloads and pretty good reviews?
im still being dumb about leaving the password the same since it is not completely up to me
Original post by uuuhhh
i deinstalled it and i think it should be fine now? i dont know can anyone actually do anything without access to the email? i didnt really realise it was illegal it had like 10k downloads and pretty good reviews?
im still being dumb about leaving the password the same since it is not completely up to me

It’s your application.

Explain to your agent that your password is not secure and needs to be changed.
Perhaps contact UCAS too?
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
It’s your application.

Explain to your agent that your password is not secure and needs to be changed.

yeah okay youre right. i will contact them but i cant do that untill monday
aa
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by s33ds
Just as a side note, it isn't illegal. It just potentially violates their terms and conditions.

thank you!! ive figured that out myself and got in touch with the developer as well. i am no longer concerned about any of my personal data. i tend to panic in such situations lmao so this post is what came out of it. it was actually really stupid of me asking for advice on here since a thread here has made me paranoid about it in the first place. everythings fine
Original post by uuuhhh
thank you!! ive figured that out myself and got in touch with the developer as well. i am no longer concerned about any of my personal data. i tend to panic in such situations lmao so this post is what came out of it. it was actually really stupid of me asking for advice on here since a thread here has made me paranoid about it in the first place. everythings fine

Ah good news :smile: I've just contacted them myself, waiting for a reply.

I'm glad you're feeling good!
Reply 12
Original post by s33ds
Ah good news :smile: I've just contacted them myself, waiting for a reply.

I'm glad you're feeling good!

yayyy great! thank you and good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending