The Student Room Group

Leaving career behind for Uni - Help & advice needed

Dear all,

I wonder if you kind people can provide me some help, guidance and tips.

I am a 38 year old Police Officer, who has been in the Police since 2002, prior to that I was in full time employment since the age of 17.
I have not been happy in my career for the past 4-5 years for several reasons such as constant changes, lack of funding, constant postings, constant shift working, negative working environment and the daily impact on my personal life that all of this brings along with several other negative issues (too many to name).

Every year I always comment to myself "I wish I'd gone to Uni" so I could have more options. This year I feel the time may be right to take that leap of faith and start on the path to teaching.

In the Police, I currently teach the Special constables in my spare time which is where I got the teaching bug from when I first started it 5 years ago. In 2017 I took an evening course at a local college and obtained a Diploma (Distinction) in Level Education and Teaching which allows me to teach at college level however what I'd really like to do is teach in a secondary school but of course you need a degree to do that and I don't have one.

I recently attended an open day at my local university and they suggested I come along to a free 12 week return to learning course starting in February which will provide a basic overview of studying at Uni and provide introductions into some of the main subjects. I have managed to narrow down my subjects of interest to Modern History & Politics, English and Meteorology. The course will also give me an insight into uni life and may answer a few more questions.

The point of this post is to get some views and opinions of people who have been in similar position to me and have left a full time career, took the pay drop and have returned to university. My main areas of concern and worry are not the study or adapting to uni life, but more along the lines of finances as I have a mortgage to pay along with bills, commuting and general living. I am aware that I am entitled to the student loans/maintenance/bursaries but this is considerably less than what I earn now so would be a shock to the system.

Can anyone help with these areas of concern and advise me?

1) How did you cope with leaving a full time job after so many years with the regular income and security it provided?
2) How did you support yourself through Uni?
3) Did you have any regrets after leaving?
4) Was the Uni experience a breath of fresh air?
5) Do you worry about the student debt?
6) Will part time working be enough to support me through? (I am fully prepared to work longer hours either on site at Uni or elsewhere).

These are just some of the questions going through my mind which I can't seem to get out of my head. Clearly this comes down to finances mainly. For info, I have no worries or concerns about adapting to Uni life, meeting new people, getting on with the study etc - my concerns are mainly financial and taking the leap from a full time to career to the unknown.

Obviously leaving the Police after such a long time is a big decision but it's now having a real negative impact on me both in and out of work and I generally feel the time is right now to make some changes to my life for the better and I feel uni may be the way forward in order to secure a better future in education and learning.

Any responses positive or negative are welcome. Always happy to respond with any answers if you have further questions you want me to clarify.

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending