The Student Room Group

The Official 2019 Cambridge Offer Holder Thread

Scroll to see replies

To the international students: when are you planning to sit for IELTS? Is end of June too late to appear for IELTS?
Reply 781
Original post by esrever
To the international students: when are you planning to sit for IELTS? Is end of June too late to appear for IELTS?

Hi! I am also an international EU student. The end of June one could be fine as long as you get the results on time (I assume that would be 31 August maximum, since that’s when ALevels results come out I believe). Having said that, I am not the best person to talk about this because I already passed the Cambridge Proficiency Exam before applying. So IELTS is not a requirement for me. I would suggest emailing the Admissions Office to clarify and ask the best time to take the exam. Hope that helps!
Original post by nuboma
Hi! I am also an international EU student. The end of June one could be fine as long as you get the results on time (I assume that would be 31 August maximum, since that’s when ALevels results come out I believe). Having said that, I am not the best person to talk about this because I already passed the Cambridge Proficiency Exam before applying. So IELTS is not a requirement for me. I would suggest emailing the Admissions Office to clarify and ask the best time to take the exam. Hope that helps!

I emailed the admissions office. They confirmed that it's okay as long as I get my results before A level results.
Hey everybody! I am holding a conditional offer for the MPhil in Finance and Economics. Recently also received confirmation of acceptance at Girton College. They have, however, not reached out to me with additional information yet. Should I already be applying for an accommodation? Or just patiently wait for an e-mail?
Original post by Thomas Kokken
Hey everybody! I am holding a conditional offer for the MPhil in Finance and Economics. Recently also received confirmation of acceptance at Girton College. They have, however, not reached out to me with additional information yet. Should I already be applying for an accommodation? Or just patiently wait for an e-mail?

I'm sure they will be in touch in due course but ask in the postgrad thread, this one is more for undergraduate courses :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5205742
Official CAMBRIDGE 2019 Postgraduate Applicants thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 785
does anyone know how often cambridge relax their offers if say, it was an A*, AA offer and you get three A’s
Reply 786
Original post by clem1
does anyone know how often cambridge relax their offers if say, it was an A*, AA offer and you get three A’s

I’m not sure if they can lower your offer to AAA, since the minimum requirement is A*AA. However, if your offer is slightly higher than normal and you don’t manage to get the grades but still get that A star, they sometimes still accept you. I don’t know about AAA. I think it’s quite rare tbh, but if they really want you they might. I guess it’s up to the Admissions Office. But I would surely not take it for granted. I think it’s pretty difficult for them to accept a AAA.
(edited 5 years ago)
#CambTweet will be holding its next Twitter Q&A session this coming Saturday (20th April) at 7pm! We student tweeters will be around for about an hour to answer YOUR questions about Cambridge.

With exams coming into view (for all of us!) there will be a specific focus on exam technique, but as always we're happy to try to answer questions on any topic! Either tweet your question to your subject @cambtweet account or the main account @cambtweetcusu, or tweet it with the hashtag #CambTweet.

Get thinking about questions,
@cambtweetmml
Original post by clem1

Near misses can be accepted on results day. But it very much depends on the individual circumstances, and it's definitely not guaranteed. And realistically given Cambridge new Adjustment process I'd say colleges are less likely to be particularly flexible in the future.
New Adjustment process?
How is it different?

Original post by Doones
Near misses can be accepted on results day. But it very much depends on the individual circumstances, and it's definitely not guaranteed. And realistically given Cambridge new Adjustment process I'd say colleges are less likely to be particularly flexible in the future.
Original post by SoWatermelon
New Adjustment process?
How is it different?

This year is the first time Cambridge has been available via Adjustment, but only as part of their widening participation initiative and only to candidates who has previously been unsuccessful applicants.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/adjustment
Reply 791
Hi! Does anyone know when admissions statistics for the university, colleges and courses come out? I believe it’s April-May, isn’t it?
Original post by nuboma
Hi! Does anyone know when admissions statistics for the university, colleges and courses come out? I believe it’s April-May, isn’t it?

Usually yes.
I wonder that you think about this,
is this a good thing in your view?

Original post by Doones
This year is the first time Cambridge has been available via Adjustment, but only as part of their widening participation initiative and only to candidates who has previously been unsuccessful applicants.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/adjustment
anyone have a flexible offer without STEP?
Original post by somebrick
anyone have a flexible offer without STEP?

A maths offer? I don’t think you can have a maths offer without STEP, unless you’ve already taken it (but even then I’ve heard of some people who got a step offer with even higher grades)
Original post by Annamies
A maths offer? I don’t think you can have a maths offer without STEP, unless you’ve already taken it (but even then I’ve heard of some people who got a step offer with even higher grades)

If this refers to the Mathematics Flexible Offer, then see https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate-admissions/what-qualifications-do-i-need and the statement:
Note that, depending on individual circumstances, some Colleges may make an A level applicant an offer that will be met if they achieve either A*A*A with at least a grade 1 in STEP 2 and 3, or A*A*A* with at least a grade 1 in just one of the two STEP papers taken.
See also the Guide to Admissions (https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/documents/admissionsguide.pdf).
A question for all Maths offer holders who are taking 4 A levels, and have already taken achieved A* in maths in year 12.
Does your offer of A*A*A include the A* in maths already taken?
Or is your offer of A*A*A in addition to the A* you already have?
(Plus the standard STEP of course!)

My son’s offer is in ‘addition’ to the A* already taken and I’ve seen a few others say the same. I wondered if anyone actually has an offer ‘including’ the A* from year 12, even if taking 4?

I’d be interested to know if it’s the same across the board, regarding the offer being ‘in addition’ to, or certain colleges...or just odd students!
hi fellow medic I got the same offer as yours! Which country are you from?
Might be worth to ask the college. I guess, they want A* in FM at least.
Original post by O0o0o0O
A question for all Maths offer holders who are taking 4 A levels, and have already taken achieved A* in maths in year 12.
Does your offer of A*A*A include the A* in maths already taken?
Or is your offer of A*A*A in addition to the A* you already have?
(Plus the standard STEP of course!)

My son’s offer is in ‘addition’ to the A* already taken and I’ve seen a few others say the same. I wondered if anyone actually has an offer ‘including’ the A* from year 12, even if taking 4?

I’d be interested to know if it’s the same across the board, regarding the offer being ‘in addition’ to, or certain colleges...or just odd students!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending