The Student Room Group

The 'Brexit Meaningful Vote' Thread - May loses 432-202

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Notnek
I think her fate is sealed now after that extremely weak speech. With her job on the line, you'd have expected something more passionate - maybe she's given up?

I slightly got that vibe. I wonder if she already knows something we don't and the DUP are planning to dump her in the confidence vote tomorrow?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I slightly got that vibe. I wonder if she already knows something we don't and the DUP are planning to dump her in the confidence vote tomorrow?

The DUP’s Brexit spokesman has told radio 5 live that they will back Theresa May in a no-confidence vote.
The people do actually want a People's vote but the Government are firm on not giving the vote which is quite catastrophic, because the Governement should be representing the views of the people and not what they want.
Original post by NickAlex12
The DUP’s Brexit spokesman has told radio 5 live that they will back Theresa May in a no-confidence vote.

Yes and there is no more honest and trustworthy group in British politics than the DUP. :rolleyes: Anyway, even if she survives tomorrow, she's probably not got long to go in the job.
Original post by Notnek
I think her fate is sealed now after that extremely weak speech. With her job on the line, you'd have expected something more passionate - maybe she's given up?

I’m not sure what you expected her to say, she’s got to go through the motions over the next week before we get to what she’s really going to do.

She will win tomorrow it’s not even up for debate.

She will talk to the other parties and they will say

revoke article 50 - she will refuse
Extend article 50 - she will consider
No deal - she will consider
Do Norway - she will consider
Second referendum - she will say no
Give us non binding indicative votes - she will agree
Original post by NickAlex12
The only option now that will respect the choice of the people to leave the EU is a no-deal Brexit. The EU has made it clear that renegotiating the deal is not an option.

I agree on the respect however they will do an off the shelf that keeps no boarder in NI which is Norway.

They have confirmed support already
Original post by paul514
I’m not sure what you expected her to say, she’s got to go through the motions over the next week before we get to what she’s really going to do.

She will win tomorrow it’s not even up for debate.

She will talk to the other parties and they will say

revoke article 50 - she will refuse
Extend article 50 - she will consider
No deal - she will consider
Do Norway - she will consider
Second referendum - she will say no
Give us non binding indicative votes - she will agree

The simple fact remains that the NI situation is insoluble without staying at least in the CU. That was what Tory Brexiteers (and Labour) were rejecting this evening, yet they have no viable alternative short of a hard crash out. Theresa May and her government know this and viewed from one perspective, they have at least been trying to act in the genuine national interest and not servicing the knee jerk empty headed nonsense of the fantasy land Brexiteers. All the vote really showed is that the latter are in a majority.

My view is we are now heading inevitably for a hard crash out and that means very severe economic consequences. The electorate will pay the price and the poorer people, the hard pressed C2DE workers in coastal towns and rustbelt regions, the white older voters, will pay the highest price.

Of course, they will not blame themselves and they won't know enough to blame the secretive libertarian and right wing economics-driven hedge funds and overseas oligarchs who exploited them to drive this along. So they will be directed to blame immigrants and perhaps other segments of the working class.

Inevitably this will result in mass social dislocation, violence and further malaise. The UK is now poised to begin a full-scale Argentina-style decline.
Original post by MrDystopia
As did the Leave campaign? I received several leaflets from both sides through my door.

As I said 6 of one half a dozen of the other
Original post by Burton Bridge
As I said 6 of one half a dozen of the other

Indeed, which is why I highlight it's a moot point.
Anyway, even if she survives tomorrow, she's probably not got long to go in the job.

People have been saying this since the 2017 election, but the Tories still have the same problem now that they did in 2016, when May got the job as the "safe pair of hands": there really aren't any other suitable candidates.
Original post by Smack
People have been saying this since the 2017 election, but the Tories still have the same problem now that they did in 2016, when May got the job as the "safe pair of hands": there really aren't any other suitable candidates.

Well if so, we are pretty much doomed to more years of grotesque mismanagement.
The bookies think it's highly likely that the government will win tomorrow.

Paddy Power:
Government to win No Confidence Vote 1/20
Government to lose No Confidence Vote 9/1
Corbyn is putting a motion of no confidence which will be debated tomorrow. If the government loses, there will be an election. However, this appears to be unlikely. The PM has suggested talks with other parties now.

Corbyn has tabled a VONC. If that passes, we have a general election.

No we don't. If the VONC passes, we go into a 14 day hiatus whilst attempts to put a new government into office take place.

However, the FTPA has enormous drafting faults so MPs will be struggling to avoid national chaos.
Indeed, which is why I highlight it's a moot point.

Least we agree on something mate lol
Listening to the Boris Slippery Johnson expressing his support for May.

Conservative backbenchers have demonstrated they have no faith in their own government yet will support May because they have no faith in their ability to win any subsequent election.

So after May wins tomorrow's vote, and after more than two years of ****ing about, we still don't know the nature of Brexit. It's a farcical situation.
Original post by nulli tertius
No we don't. If the VONC passes, we go into a 14 day hiatus whilst attempts to put a new government into office take place.

However, the FTPA has enormous drafting faults so MPs will be struggling to avoid national chaos.

The act does seem to be an obstruction to effective government, which I thought it would be when the laughably dysfunctional and Tory-serving 'coalition' brought it into being.
Original post by Violet Femme
Listening to the Boris Slippery Johnson expressing his support for May.

Conservative backbenchers have demonstrated they have no faith in their own government yet will support May because they have no faith in their ability to win any subsequent election.

So after May wins tomorrow's vote, and after more than two years of ****ing about, we still don't know the nature of Brexit. It's a farcical situation.

One thing that remains constant and unchanged in a damaged world is the sleazy self-interest and wheedling multi-faced hyena behaviour of Boris Xavier Johnson.
The act does seem to be an obstruction to effective government, which I thought it would be when the laughably dysfunctional and Tory-serving 'coalition' brought it into being.

In the same way that the Referendum was to produce a Remain vote, so we don't need to sketch out the consequences of Leave winning, the FTPA was to prevent either Coalition partner from doing the dirty on the other. There was therefore no need to consider what would happen if either party actually did the dirty or if something other than a Coalition partner betraying the Coalition occurred.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending