The Student Room Group

The 'Brexit Meaningful Vote' Thread - May loses 432-202

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Notnek
The bookies think it's highly likely that the government will win tomorrow.

Paddy Power:
Government to win No Confidence Vote 1/20
Government to lose No Confidence Vote 9/1

That is a very easy way to make 5% on what you put down.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The simple fact remains that the NI situation is insoluble without staying at least in the CU. That was what Tory Brexiteers (and Labour) were rejecting this evening, yet they have no viable alternative short of a hard crash out. Theresa May and her government know this and viewed from one perspective, they have at least been trying to act in the genuine national interest and not servicing the knee jerk empty headed nonsense of the fantasy land Brexiteers. All the vote really showed is that the latter are in a majority.

My view is we are now heading inevitably for a hard crash out and that means very severe economic consequences. The electorate will pay the price and the poorer people, the hard pressed C2DE workers in coastal towns and rustbelt regions, the white older voters, will pay the highest price.

Of course, they will not blame themselves and they won't know enough to blame the secretive libertarian and right wing economics-driven hedge funds and overseas oligarchs who exploited them to drive this along. So they will be directed to blame immigrants and perhaps other segments of the working class.

Inevitably this will result in mass social dislocation, violence and further malaise. The UK is now poised to begin a full-scale Argentina-style decline.

It makes no deal more likely but only because it rules out the negotiated deal, I still think she will flap it and go for an extension which will do nothing unless she negotiates a Canada style agreement but more likely she goes for an off the shelf Norway agreement as her get out.

I don't think she has the lady balls to do no deal.
Original post by Notnek
The bookies think it's highly likely that the government will win tomorrow.

Paddy Power:
Government to win No Confidence Vote 1/20
Government to lose No Confidence Vote 9/1

iirc the bookies got the outcome of the R*f*r*nd*m completely wrong...

:redface:
Original post by the bear

The bookies get most things right otherwise they wouldn't be in business. A few mistakes doesn't mean that they'll get this wrong - I think the government winning is a safe bet right now but of course things could change.
Original post by Burton Bridge
Least we agree on something mate lol

You're right there :lol:
Original post by the bear

Yea but they didn't give odds anywhere near 1/20:redface:
PM keeps saying 'I believe this is what the people want'. How does she know when she steadfastly refuses to ask them? She obviously had no idea what Parliament wanted either.
Reply 168
Original post by NickAlex12
The DUP’s Brexit spokesman has told radio 5 live that they will back Theresa May in a no-confidence vote.

Actually they will strictly back the government rather than TM, wonder what their price is, could she thereafter have to resign-price of their support, who knows?

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode of BREXIT.
[video="youtube;5fTuORamM4w"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fTuORamM4w&feature=youtu.be[/video]
Original post by MrDystopia
So it's January 15th, which means that the Meaningful Vote is finally upon us after it's delay from Mid-December.

As I'm sure everyone is aware, Theresa May is widely expected to lose this vote, triggering yet more uncertainty for the nation. There's even talk of her losing by a record margin for a Government of the UK. Should she lose by at least 167 votes or more, then she'll have managed that feat.

Thereafter, as mandated by previous votes, Theresa May will have 3 days to come up with 'Plan B', and bring that to the house. As far as what that entails, no one knows. And it does seem like neither does the public. Sir John Curtice penned a great article looking at the various options.

Most striking is the following graph showing just how divided we've become. Which option would you go for?

So with that said, it's on to the Meaningful Vote, to see what unfolds.

Resources

You can watch on ParliamentTV

You can also watch on BBC Parliament

An explanation on the Meaningful Vote, by Liam Laurence Smyth - the Clerk of Legislation in the House of Commons

House of Commons Twitter for rolling updates

BBC live updates

The debate is ongoing, voting expected at 7pm!

Any questions, feel free to ask :smile:

Referendum: staying vs leaving. However, if they agree to leave, further general public voting should be held to ascertain which policies members of the public support or oppose, after which, the government (whomever they shall be) can draft new legislature and negotiate with the EU, who will not be pleased and want to stick to the deal agreed with May
Original post by paul514
It makes no deal more likely but only because it rules out the negotiated deal, I still think she will flap it and go for an extension which will do nothing unless she negotiates a Canada style agreement but more likely she goes for an off the shelf Norway agreement as her get out.

I don't think she has the lady balls to do no deal.

Or a death wish for the economy. We're all going on a Brexit holiday, no more jobs for a decade or two.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

Corbyn promotes British wine as he can't get any from France anymore. Let's face it... a general election will help about as much as another Mass in the Father Ted exploding milk float episode.
(edited 5 years ago)
Why do we need a second referendum?

Because it would be undemocratic to do what needs to be done without one. Brexit simply isn't working.
lol my friend describe brexit as couple breaking up but boyfriend still demand girlfriend to sleep with him :rofl2:
I think the democratic thing to do would be to put it to a People’s Vote: “Leave with No Deal, or Remain?” And whatever the outcome is, we act on it immediately.

I know many will say “but we already had a People’s Vote in 2016, and the people voted to Leave, we have to honour the result”. But to put it bluntly, I see no reason why we need to honour the result of an advisory referendum when it is far from obvious that the majority of the British people continue to support that result (given that we can now specify that “Leave” means leaving with no deal).
Original post by HucktheForde
lol my friend describe brexit as couple breaking up but boyfriend still demand girlfriend to sleep with him :rofl2:

Yes and girlfriend still wants him and boyfriend openly states he won't leave unless girlfriend agrees.
Original post by Vinny C
Because it would be undemocratic to do what needs to be done without one. Brexit simply isn't working.

It would be undemocratic to have one, if remain won it would never be on the cards. All this remoaning talk of another vote is solely designed to fudge figures to get the result you want.

Leave with no deal
Leave but only if a deal can be reached
Remain

Split the vote remain wins. I personally don't think we need another 180 million debt adding to this governments shocking borrowing achievement, they are destroying the nation purse just fine without that, however if there was one Remaining cannot be on the ballot paper
Yes and girlfriend still wants him and boyfriend openly states he won't leave unless girlfriend agrees.

G/f says b/f still needs her. B/f is of two minds about it. G/f has 27 mates who all agree with her. Sigh.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
G/f says b/f still needs her. B/f is of two minds about it. G/f has 27 mates who all agree with her. Sigh.

Boyfriend is still infatuated with girlfriend and cannot see other willing and suitable partners who could make him equally happy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending