The Student Room Group

Why do we always want what we can't have?

Okay so, I'm a student living with 5 other flat mates, basically I cannot get over one of the girls in the flat. Thing is I didn't even have feelings at all until she kissed me drunkenly one night. We get along great as friends and I feel like there's more there but she always talks about other guys and stuff and I just take it as a general hint. We spend a lot of time together I would say compared to others in the flat. My heart feels broken everytime I stop and think about what could be but probably won't be. Ever since I got these feelings it's been hard to focus on life in general (yeah really that bad), I get severe anxiety and my overall mental health is deteriorating. I'm not a creep, if she doesn't want it that's totally inderstanble, but I genuinely feel sick to my stomach and my sleeping is terrible. I'm just really in a dark hole and I only come out of it when I'm around her, she would have no idea I'm so down and beat.
And before anyone says to just tell her how you feel, she's a shy girl and we live in the same flat so I don't think that's the best idea if it didn't work out as planned.
You are a student! There will be hundreds or thousands of single available young women at your university campus every day.

This is a golden opportunity for you to meet and get to know as many of these as you can. Most won't develop into anything romantic. The odd one here and there will.

Readjust your focus from your life and your inner world and from what goes on within your student digs to what is going on at your university and the world beyond. Do that with a glass half full frame of mind.

The best way to overcome anxiety, according to the NHS, is to face down your fears. The student world is a great place to do that, because it's such a safe environment and the consequences of failure in any endeavoour are not that great.
Reply 2
We look at the people we know we cant have but want to have because you lack in something that the girl you like has - i dont want you to let this overcome you where you are trapped in a bubble just thinking about what if what if ,, focus and be happy with yourself first and if she likes you she will show you that she does, it just takes time and im sure you will find like what Kruger said^^ alot of different people at university, heck, you wouldnt be surprised the amount of people you will like in one whole semester haha. focus on your mental health because this is uni we are talking about. not high school, dont do the same mistake as me where i let this guy control how i felt bc i needed him too but he never really cared. uni is your best time of your life and you shouldnt do this to yourself, eat well go out to cool places do things you like keep yourself busy and work hard because you need to focus on yourself, and you can always show her u like her, she wont be weirded out, girls like to know boys are there to protect them especially since she lives alone in a dorm far from her parents. have a good day
The grass is always greener on the other side, until you jump the fence and see the weeds up close
Reply 4
Original post by miharuxx
We look at the people we know we cant have but want to have because you lack in something that the girl you like has - i dont want you to let this overcome you where you are trapped in a bubble just thinking about what if what if ,, focus and be happy with yourself first and if she likes you she will show you that she does, it just takes time and im sure you will find like what Kruger said^^ alot of different people at university, heck, you wouldnt be surprised the amount of people you will like in one whole semester haha. focus on your mental health because this is uni we are talking about. not high school, dont do the same mistake as me where i let this guy control how i felt bc i needed him too but he never really cared. uni is your best time of your life and you shouldnt do this to yourself, eat well go out to cool places do things you like keep yourself busy and work hard because you need to focus on yourself, and you can always show her u like her, she wont be weirded out, girls like to know boys are there to protect them especially since she lives alone in a dorm far from her parents. have a good day

Good advice thank you🙂 In your opinion, if this girl always finds a way to text me about something everyday even when we are away home for the weekends and stuff, is this a sign she likes me? Ive never been so confused in my life I might have to move out of the flat if I can't control my mind and focus.
As another said, you will be able to meet females at uni everyday and also outside of uni by online dating, speed dating etc. With your mental healh and anxiety you should see a GP regarding this.
Reply 6
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
You are a student! There will be hundreds or thousands of single available young women at your university campus every day.

This is a golden opportunity for you to meet and get to know as many of these as you can. Most won't develop into anything romantic. The odd one here and there will.

Readjust your focus from your life and your inner world and from what goes on within your student digs to what is going on at your university and the world beyond. Do that with a glass half full frame of mind.

The best way to overcome anxiety, according to the NHS, is to face down your fears. The student world is a great place to do that, because it's such a safe environment and the consequences of failure in any endeavoour are not that great.

Thanks for the advice! problem I have is I don't find any other girl attractive, if a really attractive girl flirts with me I kinda just play it off and move on because I only want this one girl. Like honestly what is wrong with me lol
Reply 7
Original post by connormc199
The grass is always greener on the other side, until you jump the fence and see the weeds up close

Uplifting and depressing, 10/10
Original post by Anonymous

And before anyone says to just tell her how you feel, she's a shy girl and we live in the same flat so I don't think that's the best idea if it didn't work out as planned.

Yeah because the way things are now is so good. :h:
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
Good advice thank you🙂 In your opinion, if this girl always finds a way to text me about something everyday even when we are away home for the weekends and stuff, is this a sign she likes me? Ive never been so confused in my life I might have to move out of the flat if I can't control my mind and focus.

sortof yes!!!she thinks about you which means she likes your presence when you hangout during dorms, so if she is taking the time to text you and check up on you on her weekends etc its like a way of her saying that you are important to her!! this is a good start however, sometimes boys tend to take this way in depth and i know you would get confused because ,, well she texts me all the time does she like me? now since i dont know her personality i cant really tell you whether its a way of her saying i cant stop thinking bout or she just likes your presence and likes the fact that you two are close as i mentioned before on how you are some sortof protecter to her - now dont go to assumptions straight away but try to act as normal as u are around her, dont make it seem like theres something or slight intimate tension, i know u would feel like that after her kissing you but personally if she genuinely likes you and you act very neutral about the way u guys talk and stuff and not expressing tension i believe shell do anything to grab ur attention, that way you will say ah, she does like me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending