The Student Room Group

Driving test very soon! Last minute advice?

So i've got my driving test in a week, and feel like this is a good place to ask for all the test advice i can get from anyones experience! Obviously different areas/examiners are different but the rules are the same.
I'm much more confident at driving now, i'm just worried about my test because i'm too excited to drive.
Can anyone give any advice/tips to watch out for during the test.

Also, my instructor never points me out for not checking the blind spot when i pull in a meeting point (say i met a car on a road full of parked cars and i had to pull into a space, would i need to check my blind spot? I do in my car but my instructor never tells me much, so i just wanted to check).
Reply 1
Just remember to check, check and check everything and you'll be fine. My younger brother failed his test a week ago because he didn't look over his right shoulder while parallel parking.

I would just ask your instructor about the blind spot question - they will just know. To my logic, it could be hazardous if you are looking over your right shoulder while the car is moving - so only have to look over your right shoulder when the car is stationary or going very slowly backwards (Pulling out or parking). Also, due to the road being narrow enough the lack of space either side of the car in that scenario I don't think the blind spot could have anything in it that you couldn't see in your mirrors (but check the blind spot when pulling out of the space of course). But again, ask your instructor because I'm not an examiner

Good luck
(edited 5 years ago)
I have my driving test a week today as well, this face shows how i feel ---> :eek:

My instructor doesn't point me out for checking the blind spot in that situation either. Personally, I find parking really hard. I have my own car which i have been practicing in, but i'm not perfect, and i'm using my instructors car in the test which is much bigger. I had a lesson today focusing on parking and it wasn't great, my instructor wasn't very patient with me...I was going to postpone my test a few weeks, but the next available slot is in 6 weeks so i thought ya know what i'm just going to go for it, if i fail it's not the end of the world because you can always try again. I also think that even if you make 100 mistakes, as long as you learn from them for next time it is worth taking the test and failing as it will make you a better driver.

Good luck with your test anyway!
Just do
Don't overthink.
Reply 4
just check and make it obvious, anytime i stopped i checked around including blind spots never did when i was coming up to a junction tho, and remember to try and stay calm, i couldnt keep still as i wanted it that much but i passed first time surprisingly, good luck
Reply 5
Original post by Laurenloops
I have my driving test a week today as well, this face shows how i feel ---> :eek:

My instructor doesn't point me out for checking the blind spot in that situation either. Personally, I find parking really hard. I have my own car which i have been practicing in, but i'm not perfect, and i'm using my instructors car in the test which is much bigger. I had a lesson today focusing on parking and it wasn't great, my instructor wasn't very patient with me...I was going to postpone my test a few weeks, but the next available slot is in 6 weeks so i thought ya know what i'm just going to go for it, if i fail it's not the end of the world because you can always try again. I also think that even if you make 100 mistakes, as long as you learn from them for next time it is worth taking the test and failing as it will make you a better driver.

Good luck with your test anyway!

Im in the exact situation. My instructors is smaller than my car, but i'm more confident at driving in my own car because ive had much more practise, but his is brand new and i can park in his at not my own so ill be using his for my test haha. I was going to postpone until i realised the waiting time and i just want to drive!
Thankyou chick, Good luck too!
Act like you're confident - if you do the examiner is less likely to feel on edge and always having their foot near the breaks.
Do not look or think of the mark sheet or even look at what the examiner is doing, as not everything they're writing down is about mistakes you're making.
My instructor always told me to keep talking out loud what actions I'm doing while driving so the examiner doesn't assume for example I'm going to move off wrongly on a roundabout so they will then slam on the breaks rather when you was just edging forward. So say "I'm just going to edge more forward now" etc.
Know all the possible test routes they could take you on - your instructor should have showed you all of them if they've done their job right. Makes it easier for you as you'll already know all the roads and what to expect.
Original post by Ben878 (LfL)
Just remember to check, check and check everything and you'll be fine. My younger brother failed his test a week ago because he didn't look over his right shoulder while parallel parking.

I would just ask your instructor about the blind spot question - they will just know. To my logic, it could be hazardous if you are looking over your right shoulder while the car is moving - so only have to look over your right shoulder when the car is stationary or going very slowly backwards (Pulling out or parking). Also, due to the road being narrow enough the lack of space either side of the car in that scenario I don't think the blind spot could have anything in it that you couldn't see in your mirrors (but check the blind spot when pulling out of the space of course). But again, ask your instructor because I'm not an examiner

Good luck

I’m 100% sure that you must check your blind spot during an exam when doing parallel parking. I have been told so by my instructor and watched a ton of videos from other instructors on YouTube. x

I would personally check as it can’t do any harm!

Just don’t stress too much! It’s easier said than done, but trust me ... keep calm and think of it as another driving lesson!
For anyone interested I passed :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by Laurenloops
For anyone interested I passed :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Well done! x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending