The Student Room Group

Haven’t slept for 3 days straight

I’m really struggling.. I don’t know what else to say. I had exams last week & I know it could be due to the stress of it but it’s been like 6 days since they ended . I don’t sleep most nights and even if I do it’s never uninterrupted sleep; I’ll always sleep for an hour then wake up then repeat.
I’ve always had sleep problems but it’s really starting to show. I can’t focus on anything & when people talk to me it’s like I can’t even hear what they’re saying. I feel like I’m constantly in a limbo of being half asleep and half awake.
I had a breakup around a month ago but I’d like to think I’m over that and it’s not causing this. It’s my final year of A Levels and tbh the work is not that overwhelming; it’s just when I try to study with no sleep.
My teachers are starting to notice and idk what to say. I don’t want my parents to worry about me because we’ve already been to the GP and they gave me medication but it’s not helping .. but I tell me parents it does help.
I just need a break or something. At this point I haven’t slept since Thursday.
I’m sorry for this long post but I just need help :frown:(
Reply 1
My advice would be to drink a hot drink such as hot chocolate before you go to bed and do an activity like reading to make you tired
Reply 2
Original post by LeonieRc
My advice would be to drink a hot drink such as hot chocolate before you go to bed and do an activity like reading to make you tired

I literally do that every night and it makes no difference. I’m always tired it’s just i can’t get myself to sleep.
Are you doing all the insomniac treatment recommendations? No caffeine in the afternoon, no electronics for a few hours before bed, warm baths/exercise in the evening but at least an hour before bed, etc but there’ll be a list on the NHS or somewhere.

If you are I’d suggest telling your parents that you aren’t sleeping/the meds aren’t working. It’s horrible to be tired, I can’t imagine what three days worth of tired is like. I hope you can get this sorted in time for exams, otherwise you might want to get a diagnosis for extenuating circumstances!
Original post by Anonymous
I literally do that every night and it makes no difference. I’m always tired it’s just i can’t get myself to sleep.

I’ve had same problem before. I find going out to take a break from study is the best thing to do. I think its because of anxiety. Convince your self that grades aren’t everything and you have tried your best.
pray to Jesus Christ to help you to sleep. honestly. it works.
also, read a book. reading books always helps to make ANYONE fall asleep!
Reply 6
Original post by stimtothesky
Are you doing all the insomniac treatment recommendations? No caffeine in the afternoon, no electronics for a few hours before bed, warm baths/exercise in the evening but at least an hour before bed, etc but there’ll be a list on the NHS or somewhere.

If you are I’d suggest telling your parents that you aren’t sleeping/the meds aren’t working. It’s horrible to be tired, I can’t imagine what three days worth of tired is like. I hope you can get this sorted in time for exams, otherwise you might want to get a diagnosis for extenuating circumstances!

I have been to my GP where he’s literally written down for me what I need to be doing. That was a year ago and since then nothing’s changed. I feel like I’ve always been like this. It wasn’t so bad before but now I can’t do certain things cos I’m so physically exhausted. I’m going to make another GP appointment so I can hopefully get some help. I want to do my exams w/o any extenuating circumstances cos I feel like i can do it still.
Reply 7
Original post by simplytheb3st
pray to Jesus Christ to help you to sleep. honestly. it works.
also, read a book. reading books always helps to make ANYONE fall asleep!

I read all the time and it only increases my energy levels. Then when I try to do nothing I just lay there for hours even tho I don’t drink coffee or have anything else with high caffeine levels. I’ve just given up at this point ... praying doesn’t help either :frown:(
Reply 8
Original post by Janej77
I’ve had same problem before. I find going out to take a break from study is the best thing to do. I think its because of anxiety. Convince your self that grades aren’t everything and you have tried your best.

I always make sure my health comes before exams so I do study only if I’m feeling I can focus enough. The problem is lately I just can’t do the most normal things like read never mind study..
Original post by Anonymous
I always make sure my health comes before exams so I do study only if I’m feeling I can focus enough. The problem is lately I just can’t do the most normal things like read never mind study..

That’s okay. Stop working for a few days and pick up when you are well enough. Tell yourself u deserve a break. There is always enough time. A levels is not the end of your journey. Listen to sleeping music can help. Do things like drawing or some sports to relax yourself. You can do a levels even when you are thirty but if you somehow get a health problem, it will probs stick with u for the rest of ur life.

Quick Reply

Latest