The Student Room Group

Worried about a level subjects

I’m currently in year 11 and have chosen to go to a different sixth form to my current school. I am absolutely terrified about this but I do know a few people there. The thing I’m most concerned about is the subjects I’ve chosen-I chose politics, history and philosophy. I haven’t studied politics or philosophy & ethics prior to a level and I’m worried I’ll be behind people who have on two of my subjects. Has anyone who did these subjects as a beginner got any advice or even if you just went to a different sixth form?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
What exactly are you concerned about with these subjects? I currently do A-Level History and Politics, so I may be able to help out and tell you what you can expect :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by OriC13
What exactly are you concerned about with these subjects? I currently do A-Level History and Politics, so I may be able to help out and tell you what you can expect :smile:

Sorry it posted weirdly-I’ve edited it now. Were you a beginner for politics?
Reply 3
Original post by Esni
Sorry it posted weirdly-I’ve edited it now. Were you a beginner for politics?

Ah yes, the troubles with TSR I suppose :/ I had never "studied" politics before starting year 12, but I definitely knew the basics. Honestly though, politics is definitely more about being taught the in depth workings of everything in lessons and just keeping up with the news in your spare time. One of my teachers told us in our first lesson that the only thing we were required to do was keep up with the news and form our own opinions on them, and now we spend most of our lessons talking about recent events, which is great for adding examples and furthering your understanding of the curriculum. I think as long as you check a reputable news source once a day/ a few times a week you'll be golden- just make sure to jot down relevant examples in your notes to refer back to.
A-level politics and philosophy are designed to teach ''beginners'' as most people won't have studied them at GCSE so you shouldn't worry about that.
Reply 5
Original post by OriC13
Ah yes, the troubles with TSR I suppose :/ I had never "studied" politics before starting year 12, but I definitely knew the basics. Honestly though, politics is definitely more about being taught the in depth workings of everything in lessons and just keeping up with the news in your spare time. One of my teachers told us in our first lesson that the only thing we were required to do was keep up with the news and form our own opinions on them, and now we spend most of our lessons talking about recent events, which is great for adding examples and furthering your understanding of the curriculum. I think as long as you check a reputable news source once a day/ a few times a week you'll be golden- just make sure to jot down relevant examples in your notes to refer back to.

Thanks-that’s really helpful!
Reply 6
Original post by MinaBee
A-level politics and philosophy are designed to teach ''beginners'' as most people won't have studied them at GCSE so you shouldn't worry about that.

Thankyou!!!
Reply 7
Original post by Esni
Thanks-that’s really helpful!

You're welcome, feel free to PM me if you want to talk about either his/pol or general sixth form life in detail :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest