The Student Room Group

Anxiety and school

I have anxiety, it’s been getting worse for the last year along with depression unfortunately the doctors keep saying “we don’t give teenagers medicine anymore we only give psychological support”. Lately in an English lesson my teacher asked me to read out something, I said “I’m sorry miss, I can’t, could I just show it to you” she asked to see me after class because my behaviour was unacceptable. After class I explained to her about my anxiety and that I’m very sorry but I just couldn’t do it. She said everyone gets anxious, everyone has anxiety, you just need to try.” I was very upset, being anxious occasionally and having anxiety is different. What should I do?
Explain to her the difference between feeling anxious and anxiety via your doctors speaking to your teacher, your parents speaking to your teacher or via website. Explain that it was upsetting.
Hi,

I would talk to your parents/guardian about this and explain or try to explain your anxiety (write notes on paper and show them it if you feel too anxious by it). I would recommend seeing your GP again and talking to them about your anxiety as they can offer you treatment. I have had anxiety for a number of years and I know that treatment can be a long process and different treatment works differently for different people. You have to try different therapies and treatments out to know. A GP or therapist could write a letter to your school/teacher explaining your situation. Or if that's not possible for whatever reason I recommend against your parents/guardian to request a meeting with your school/teacher and talk to them about your feelings.

Anxiety is a real condition but sometimes people don't understand it and your teacher doesn't sound like she understood it. It can get better and you deserve happiness. Best of luck :smile:
Reply 3
I get you. I'm only on medication for anxiety as anti-depressants is the last resort and shouldn't really be an option for young people.

It seems like there's just a misunderstanding between you and your teacher. You should talk to her outside of class and, as OP said above, explain what had happened. If she doesn't cut you slack, get your doctors involved in explaining it.

Seems like she doesn't believe you. Are you diagnosed with a specific kind of anxiety?

Also, I hope things get better for you. PM if you need anyone to talk to. :smile:
Reply 4
Thx, to answer the questions, I’ve had therapy sessions for five years now I’ve tried I think four therapists and I’ve had so many coordinators and We did have an email sent to the school and the reason I don’t want to speak to my teacher again is because she’s been like that to a lot of other students with mental illness. Just yesterday when a girl that had bone marrow problems came beack to school after missing it for a month she said to her “well it’d be good if people weren’t off ‘sick’ all the time because thx to them my schedule is all messed up”. And I have social anxiety. It’s never been that bad it’s just that these two years with the school putting pressure on as well as my mum and everyone saying you MUST achieve a certain mark everything’s getting worse.
Reply 5
Original post by BoredOfYou
Thx, to answer the questions, I’ve had therapy sessions for five years now I’ve tried I think four therapists and I’ve had so many coordinators and We did have an email sent to the school and the reason I don’t want to speak to my teacher again is because she’s been like that to a lot of other students with mental illness. Just yesterday when a girl that had bone marrow problems came beack to school after missing it for a month she said to her “well it’d be good if people weren’t off ‘sick’ all the time because thx to them my schedule is all messed up”. And I have social anxiety. It’s never been that bad it’s just that these two years with the school putting pressure on as well as my mum and everyone saying you MUST achieve a certain mark everything’s getting worse.

Think it's best for your doctor and parents to get involved if she's being that unfair to everyone else.

That being said, how has your school not dealt with her yet? Surely some parents would be concerned with how she's treating her students.
I would consider talking to your academic tutor or going to the headmaster if that is the case because no one should be treated like that because of a mental health problem.

I would also tell your parents how you feel if I were you and tell them how your anxiety is getting worse. I left school a few years a go, and I got some good grades and I got some bad grades and everything in between. I lived and survived the bad ones and made into university and for the most part I'm happy. I'm not saying don't try get the best grades, because you should try your best as it will help you if you can get good grades, but honestly it is not the end of the world if you fail or get bad ones: it just means you might have to retake them or go a longer way around getting to where you wanna go.

One thing is certain though: worrying to the point of losing sleep or getting anxiety because of it won't help you in getting good grades, you need to try and manage your anxiety by getting enough sleep (at least 8 hours), eating heathy as you can (try and limit junk food during revision), relaxing and having a bit of fun everyday and going to see a good therapist if you need one.

Therapy only works if you are prepared to work with the therapist, if not it's not going to work. Just try your best with studying and get support. I believe in you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending