The Student Room Group

LDR Relationship Tips

I used to come on this website non stop asking for help...but i'm just that girl that overthinks things too much, so i'm going to turn one of my threads around. Anyone who is struggling with LDR or a normal relationship, comment below. I could maybe help. I've been dating a boy for nearly 7 months (were both teens) and it's long distance.It's going great! i never thought i would find someone like him, i never thought i'd find someone that would look at me like that. But here we are hahaha, guess love comes in the most unexpected moments.

Anyway, need any help? :smile:
This thread has literally been godsent.

Okay so, me and this guy met at summer school for uni last year and we met in the weirdest way but I'll spare you those details.

We kept in contact, we live about 3 hours away but I have super strict parents so I cant visit it him (I'm barely allowed out the house lolol) but anyway, we became really good friends and this continued until about New Year's time until things got a bit more intimate between us sexually, we didn't want to ruin our friendship but he did say he fancied me and if I was living where he's at then I would be his girlfriend, I said pretty much the same thing back.

The sexual stuff continued but the friendship aspect got even more worse, so we stopped it, we continued talking but then I felt his effort in the conversations go down.

The other day he randomly told me he's been on a couple dates with a girl and I figured he just wanted me to know so HE felt better, but now I just feel awful about myself since even though we were never officially a thing, he moved on from whatever we had pretty quick.

You can guess by now that I do have pretty strong feelings for him, we could potentially be going to the same university too but that's only if he doesn't get into his first choice or if I don't get into mine.

He's the one who messages me first or sends me random posts on instagram first now, I feel like I've just stopped making effort because I feel so played. Before any of this, I used to get random appreciation messages and cute texts, and now I get none of that after this whole sexual stuff.

All my friends have told me to just block him but he's technically done nothing wrong since we were never officially a thing, never sure if we were exclusive and he has the right to be happy, plus I don't want to lose him because he is important to me.

I'm just really stuck on what to do next, any advice would be appreciated :smile: x
Original post by Anonymous
I used to come on this website non stop asking for help...but i'm just that girl that overthinks things too much, so i'm going to turn one of my threads around. Anyone who is struggling with LDR or a normal relationship, comment below. I could maybe help. I've been dating a boy for nearly 7 months (were both teens) and it's long distance.It's going great! i never thought i would find someone like him, i never thought i'd find someone that would look at me like that. But here we are hahaha, guess love comes in the most unexpected moments.

Anyway, need any help? :smile:

Great thread. I've been in an LDR for over a year and a half and it has always been good to know others are also experiencing the same. Hopefully you'll be able to give advice to people :smile: keep an eye around the relationships forum and see if you can help anyone who makes a thread about struggling with a LDR
Reply 3
This thread has literally been godsent.

Okay so, me and this guy met at summer school for uni last year and we met in the weirdest way but I'll spare you those details.

We kept in contact, we live about 3 hours away but I have super strict parents so I cant visit it him (I'm barely allowed out the house lolol) but anyway, we became really good friends and this continued until about New Year's time until things got a bit more intimate between us sexually, we didn't want to ruin our friendship but he did say he fancied me and if I was living where he's at then I would be his girlfriend, I said pretty much the same thing back.

The sexual stuff continued but the friendship aspect got even more worse, so we stopped it, we continued talking but then I felt his effort in the conversations go down.

The other day he randomly told me he's been on a couple dates with a girl and I figured he just wanted me to know so HE felt better, but now I just feel awful about myself since even though we were never officially a thing, he moved on from whatever we had pretty quick.

You can guess by now that I do have pretty strong feelings for him, we could potentially be going to the same university too but that's only if he doesn't get into his first choice or if I don't get into mine.

He's the one who messages me first or sends me random posts on instagram first now, I feel like I've just stopped making effort because I feel so played. Before any of this, I used to get random appreciation messages and cute texts, and now I get none of that after this whole sexual stuff.

All my friends have told me to just block him but he's technically done nothing wrong since we were never officially a thing, never sure if we were exclusive and he has the right to be happy, plus I don't want to lose him because he is important to me.

I'm just really stuck on what to do next, any advice would be appreciated :smile: x

Oh gosh. Well it sounds like he liked you for a bit and then maybe found another girl he liked more...it sounds sort of like he was using you for the sexual stuff but i could be wrong. I hope it works out with you two!!! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by DrawTheLine
Great thread. I've been in an LDR for over a year and a half and it has always been good to know others are also experiencing the same. Hopefully you'll be able to give advice to people :smile: keep an eye around the relationships forum and see if you can help anyone who makes a thread about struggling with a LDR

Thank you! :smile: i will hahaha :smile:
that really sucks lol, we were basically like best friends but over the internet, thank you though :smile:
Oh gosh. Well it sounds like he liked you for a bit and then maybe found another girl he liked more...it sounds sort of like he was using you for the sexual stuff but i could be wrong. I hope it works out with you two!!! :smile:
I've been in an LDR for 3 years now, please never lose hope people. Don't let the distance or time get in the way of your love. Never.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
that really sucks lol, we were basically like best friends but over the internet, thank you though :smile:

Awwww i'm so sorry. No problem anytime :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by ZombieTheWolf
I've been in an LDR for 3 years now, please never lose hope people. Don't let the distance or time get in the way of your love. Never.

Thank you!!!! i hope me and my boyfriend last this long and more. I hope you guys last :smile: I'll take this with me when dating him :smile:
Ok is this weird or does someone else feel this way... for some reason I have always fantasied about being in an LDR.
On the other hand my mum calls me delusional...

what I would like to know
1) Are there people that have similar thoughts on wanting to be in an LDR
2) What are the negative to an LDR (other than distance being the most obvious one)
3) To the people in an LDR - what caused you to be in that situation was it the circumstances forced upon you or was it choice?
Ok is this weird or does someone else feel this way... for some reason I have always fantasied about being in an LDR.

2) What are the negative to an LDR (other than distance being the most obvious one)
3) To the people in an LDR - what caused you to be in that situation was it the circumstances forced upon you or was it choice?

Well. I can answer all of these.

1) not exactly too sure, sorry.
2) The negative to being an LDR is one of the two don't communicate enough. And you may get the wrong "vibe" coming off them through text. (in my opinon)
3) me being an LDR was by choice. I found my LDR boyfriend at a camp and i got his number and through the two years we got to know each other and eventually fell in love. (we met 2 days ago! best day in my life!) So sometimes it's just fate :smile:
Having been in LDR's before, I think I can help answer your questions.

1) I'm sure there are. It's the chance of connecting with someone new, but through the Internet and (in the hope) of eventually meeting. Watch episodes of Catfish for what not to do in LDR's.

2) Another negative is the communication. Ideally you want to talk at least once a day, no more than once every 2 days.
Trust is key. Without trust, you can't succeed in a strong LDR.
Video chat: If they cannot do this, RUN don't walk away!
90% of people own a smartphone / laptop in some way. There are ways to chat over video, so the whole 'my cam is broken' is BS!
And Space. You do need to give each other space, so a good tip is to chat in the week, but reserve a Saturday / Sunday for your 'me time' moments. Everyone needs to escape their bedrooms for fresh air & activities etc.

3) For me, it's been connecting with a girl through chat and seeing where it goes. I find it's easier to communicate with girls online as you're not displaying any body language or tones in voice. You can ask questions and get a response if suitable.

Reply 12
It depends on what you want. He wants sex but no commitment obviously. If you don't want this then you must dump him or you will just feel used and unhappy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending