Original post by YaliaV
Why did you take two drinks?

thats what im confused about as well.
Reply 41
Aye right Robocop, calm down.
Original post by TPsych20
My personal opinion is you should get imprisoned for theft
Original post by won.of.a.kind
Everyone is exaggerating you will not lose your place but most likely get a warning.

The thing is what kind of drinks they were and if you are struggling for money.
I think the Uni would probably excuse your behaviour just this first time (regardless) but will probably monitor you afterwards until the very end of your course. Remember I certainly don't think this is the first time the Uni has dealt with a situation like this (ask around for information about previous events and the consequences that followed). I think the best thing you can do is apologise politely and honestly explain why you did it. Do not forget to stress the importance of the nursing course to you personally.
Lastly Good luck and just make sure that it never happens again !!!

You are wrong and dont appreciate the seriousness of the offence in terms of what course she claims to be on. A nurse that steals is dishonest and a danger in future practice. She could lie to her colleagues, steal drugs or take shortcuts that could endanger patients. Nursing courses appear to be one of the least reluctant to withdraw their students for acts of dishonesty. Assuming you believe the OP is real (I have my doubts), then it will either be a final warning or a very real risk of being withdrawn since it was blatant dishonesty and there seems to be little in mitigation or reasoning behind it.
Original post by 999tigger
You are wrong and dont appreciate the seriousness of the offence in terms of what course she claims to be on. A nurse that steals is dishonest and a danger in future practice. She could lie to her colleagues, steal drugs or take shortcuts that could endanger patients. Nursing courses appear to be one of the least reluctant to withdraw their students for acts of dishonesty.

Yeah, the v fact that the security guard is aware that it needs escalated to that level indicates how seriously they take it.

I'm pretty sure if i bumped 2 cans of juice from my uni cafe, the guard would just call me an idiot and tell me to put it back, worst case i'd be summoned to a senior lecturers office and told to act my age, but i'm simply not held up to the same standards.
Actually yes I do . But you don't know the predicament or context - she might not have been in the best of financial predicaments. Also as you heard nursing means a lot to the OP (assuming they are real) so it's highly unlikely she would do something risky in her profession and if I'm honest I don't think anyone has gone by a day in their lives including yours that has done something that might affect your career when brought to light. Also stealing two drinks to betraying colleagues and endangering patients is a major disproportionate step up. If she shows remorse as I said they will be put on warning as I mentioned. On another note generally speaking do you really think they want to give up a paying student?
You are wrong and dont appreciate the seriousness of the offence in terms of what course she claims to be on. A nurse that steals is dishonest and a danger in future practice. She could lie to her colleagues, steal drugs or take shortcuts that could endanger patients. Nursing courses appear to be one of the least reluctant to withdraw their students for acts of dishonesty. Assuming you believe the OP is real (I have my doubts), then it will either be a final warning or a very real risk of being withdrawn since it was blatant dishonesty and there seems to be little in mitigation or reasoning behind it.
Actually yes I do . But you don't know the predicament or context - she might not have been in the best of financial predicaments. Also as you heard nursing means a lot to the OP (assuming they are real) so it's highly unlikely she would do something risky in her profession and if I'm honest I don't think anyone has gone by a day in their lives including yours that has done something that might affect your career when brought to light. Also stealing two drinks to betraying colleagues and endangering patients is a major disproportionate step up. If she shows remorse as I said they will be put on warning as I mentioned. On another note generally speaking do you really think they want to give up a paying student?

Not having money is no excuse to steal something as trivial as cans of pop. She could have gotten some water if she needed a drink.

Or the OP is just naive, thoughtless and foolish. When you are on a professional course then you are held to professional standards. Stealing is an act of dishonesty and they will view it as a sign of character and integrity. You dont seem to understand the implications.

You have no idea what they will do and to say she will only get a warning is irresponsible and something you cannot possibly know. She may indeed get a warning, but they can also decide to withdraw her from the course. She is at risk.

I had my doubts about whether this OP is real anyway and I think not.

They wont care a jot about losing a paying student. They have rules to follow and will consider those independently. These forums are littered with threads about student nurses being withdrawn from their courses due to acts of dishonesty.

While the OP in this thread is a troll, these situations do occur and students on courses like nursing are brought in front of fitness to practice panels, which can lead to them being removed from their course.

While the university may not want to lose a paying customer, they also have a duty of care to the public, as they’re sending students on placement around vulnerable individuals, this is why they’re DBS checked and have to be declared fit by occupational health. At the end of their course, the course director also has to declare that the student has good enough character and health to permit them entry into the nursing register.

In the (probably imaginary) situation here the OP has shown that their fitness to practice is impaired, there was no need for them to steal the drinks, they could have had water. Saying it was due to their OCD, may explain their behaviour, but if this is the case then they’re a risk to be sending out on placement if their condition causes them to impulsively steal. While universities like to make money, protection of the public trumps this.
Also stealing two drinks to betraying colleagues and endangering patients is a major disproportionate step up.

Nah, it's the obvious step, if you are an opportunist thief you'll do it again if given the opportunity and that includes hospital supplies, money, data, drugs and patient possessions...and they don't get to bleat that they aren't the sort of person to do that, as they have demonstrated they are EXACTLY the sort of person to do that. That's sort of the point, no one wants a tealeaf about.

I'm quite capable of spending a day at work and not stealing peoples things or breaking the law, aren't you?
Original post by StriderHort
Nah, it's the obvious step, if you are an opportunist thief you'll do it again if given the opportunity and that includes hospital supplies, money, data, drugs and patient possessions...and they don't get to bleat that they aren't the sort of person to do that, as they have demonstrated they are EXACTLY the sort of person to do that. That's sort of the point, no one wants a tealeaf about.

I'm quite capable of spending a day at work and not stealing peoples things or breaking the law, aren't you?

I've broken the law before in a workplace, but certainly not by committing theft. :noway:
Original post by FlowerSoul
I was thirsty and didn't have water. I know I shouldn't have but I couldn't resist the urge. I think I might have got kleptomania or something related to my ocd

Sounds like nursing might not be the right career for you at this moment in time...
Original post by Anonymous
Sounds like nursing might not be the right career for you at this moment in time...

A nurse at a prison, perhaps.
Apologise profusely. Provide medical records if your ocd and explain how it affects your judgement. Play the ocd card HARD I would say- imply (but don't outright say) that if kicked off your course you will sue on mental health discrimination grounds.
In practically every building their is clean water available and you try to excuse your behaviour with having some sort of illness rather than take responsibility.

I hope they throw you out, your unfit for such a position of trust as you're a likely to reoffend.
Apologise profusely. Provide medical records if your ocd and explain how it affects your judgement. Play the ocd card HARD I would say- imply (but don't outright say) that if kicked off your course you will sue on mental health discrimination grounds.

genuine LOL. assume this is a gag?

"I only compulsively steal due to OCD"

"Well you can't be a nurse then"

"Sht, that backfired, ill sue you!"

"For being kicked out for criminal behaviour?"

"Well dang :frown: "

But the more you push the mental health reasons, then potentially you are pointing out you are unable to make good judgements, especially in things like administering medicine or making decisions. Two edged sword.
But the more you push the mental health reasons, then potentially you are pointing out you are unable to make good judgements, especially in things like administering medicine or making decisions. Two edged sword.

Stealing a drink without a mental illness doesn't exactly scream good judgement either.
Reply 56
Grovel a bit, but don't wave "medical conditions" in their face. Mention your "excuses" but say clearly you are NOT using them to try to avoid resposibility.

What y0ou did was stupid - say so.. We all do stupid sometimes - but don't say that. Do not try to make it sound OK. Their call not yours.
Do show what impact it's had on you, and your community..
Offer to do some community work free, or something.
Haha that's what you get for stealing! If you were thirsty and had no money you should have used the water dispenser.
FAT L
Original post by FlowerSoul
Im an 18 year old first year first semester Nursing university student. A few days ago I attempted to steal two drinks from a closed cafe in my university. I went and got two drinks form the refrigerator, then walked over to a bench to put put them into my bag. Then suddenly, this security guy comes up behind me and was ''hey, were you just over there''? I said no. At the end he wrote down my id number because I had to hand in my id card to the security guy and he confiscated my two drinks. Now a few days after I got an email saying I have a formal inquiry to discuss the incident at y university with the nursing coordinator, head of the school, associate professor and a minute taker present. I have this meeting on Friday, please help me I don't know what to do. Will I get removed from the course? Studying nursing is really important to me what should I do. All suggestion will be appreciated.

Thank you for the replies guys. I posted the question twice by accident

I am a senior nurse - many years qualified. DO you look at the NMC hearings? Nurses are struck off for less that that. I recall seeing someone struck off for taking a few pennies from a patient.

You should be removed. What you did violates the nursing code. If I were you I would throw yourself on their mercy. Say you were tired and it is out of character. Get a reference from a teacher if you can. We all make mistakes - you are allowed one in life. Let it be a lesson to you

Latest

Trending

Trending