The Student Room Group

Regret my University Options

I've applied to City, Kings, Westminster, Brunnel and middle sex. Only one Russel group university, I got an offer for Kings but for Philosophy rather than Psychology which is what I wanted to do. Can I still go through clearing even though I got all my offers and psychology is really competitive and loads if people apply for Psychology so I doubt many universities would would put psychology out for clearing. Does anyone know any likely Russel group University's that might do psychology for clearing?
why russel group uni only?
Original post by anon123a
why russel group uni only?

They're well respected by employers. Non-Russel group universities are at an disadvantage.
fairs but at the end of the day, you get the same qualification as someone in non-russel group uni.

Anywaysss, . tbh i don't know.but I believe that there is something called adjustment so on the day if you get the grades to do psychology (kinda confused as to why they gave you philosophy) you can call them up.

good luck.
Original post by anon123a
fairs but at the end of the day, you get the same qualification as someone in non-russel group uni.

Anywaysss, . tbh i don't know.but I believe that there is something called adjustment so on the day if you get the grades to do psychology (kinda confused as to why they gave you philosophy) you can call them up.

good luck.

So do you think I should firm Kings and then insure city, so that I can change my course maybe? I phoned them up yesterday and they told me that they put me for Philosophy because there weren't any spaces left for Psychology
Original post by *Alisha*
So do you think I should firm Kings and then insure city, so that I can change my course maybe? I phoned them up yesterday and they told me that they put me for Philosophy because there weren't any spaces left for Psychology

don't rely on being able to change course, it's too risky
If you do better than your firm grades on results day you can go through adjustment. You could also go through clearing on results day even if you got into your firm and/or insurance as long as you ask them to release you. However, being released can take a few days and you may risk not getting a place.
ohhhh i get it now. no, i wouldn't firm kings as if you do your accepting for philosophy, therefore, your filling up a space in that course if you know what I mean. Firm city and Brunel as insurance?... lol if you want. I've applied for psychology and I firmed Brunel and insurance is Middlesex. try and make your insurance grade requirements lower than your firm:wink:
They're well respected by employers. Non-Russel group universities are at an disadvantage.

The likes of Bath, St Andrews, Lancaster are well respected by employers, though that's not my main point. You will find many good unis in clearing for psychology, including members of the RG.
Reply 9
I've applied to City, Kings, Westminster, Brunnel and middle sex. Only one Russel group university, I got an offer for Kings but for Philosophy rather than Psychology which is what I wanted to do. Can I still go through clearing even though I got all my offers and psychology is really competitive and loads if people apply for Psychology so I doubt many universities would would put psychology out for clearing. Does anyone know any likely Russel group University's that might do psychology for clearing?

honestly clearance may not land you in a Russel group university regardless.

Employers are more likely to look at how well you performed at uni, rather than the particular university, given its not something like Cambridge.
Bath, for architecture, is one nof the best, I didn't even know it wasn't russel group.

Original post by ageshallnot
The likes of Bath, St Andrews, Lancaster are well respected by employers, though that's not my main point. You will find many good unis in clearing for psychology, including members of the RG.
Original post by lil mong
Bath, for architecture, is one nof the best, I didn't even know it wasn't russel group.

I don't generally like university tables, but if the OPlooks at the CUG she will see that Bath is rated second for psychology, with similarly "disadvantaged" non-RG St Andrews 4th and Loughborough 10th.

EDIT: And four other non-RG unis in the top 20.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by claireestelle
don't rely on being able to change course, it's too risky

That's what I was thinking, I don't want to risk it, firming for Philosophy and going through adjustment, psychology is really competitive and I did phone up Kings and they said that Psychology is really hard to get into.
What I'm scared about is that if before results day, I cancel City and don't get grades higher than ABB which is what City wants me to get then I won't be able to get into any Russel group uni that does psychology, especially when many people choose psychology.
What I'm scared about is that if before results day, I cancel City and don't get grades higher than ABB which is what City wants me to get then I won't be able to get into any Russel group uni that does psychology, especially when many people choose psychology.

You seem to be ignoring my posts above regarding the value of going to a university in the RusselL group, but I shall offer one more contribution. I haven't got the clearing lists for 2018, but I have for 2017 and preceding years, which were very similar. In 2017 the following RG unis were in clearing for psychology:

Bristol, Cardiff, Glasgow, Liverpool, Newcastle, QMUL, Sheffield, Southampton and Warwick.,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending