The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Credit transferring to Year 3 of BSc (Health Sciences) at Open University

I am currently a Maths SEN Teaching Assistant at a secondary school.

My A-level grades are: Psychology (A), Mathematics (B) and Chemistry (C).

I currently have obtained a Diploma in Higher Education (Pharmacy) after successfully studying two years of Pharmacy at Aston University. I have been offered a credit transfer to Year 3 of BSC (Honours) Health Sciences course at The Open University.

I need advice on whether I should do Year 3 part time or full time, as I will be working at the same time.

Any advice on books / resources / revision notes would be hugely appreciated!!

Also, will my Diploma of Higher Education still be awarded if I am transferring the credits to another course?

Last question - would the completion of the Health Sciences course satisfy Teach First entry requirements to become a secondary school maths teacher?

Thank you
Hi

Unfortunately I do not have the answers to some of your questions and I would just suggest you ring OU as they are really helpful.

I have just made an application for credit transfer and I just want to do the 3rd year. I did 2 years at uni on a social work degree cause 6 yrs ago.
I am looking to start OU in Oct 19 in ba hon Health and Social Care.
Did you have not had your certificate for the higher diploma you will get one and it will be honoured.

I got a higher national diploma in social studies for the 2 yrs I did.
Can I ask was the credit transfer straight forward As I literally just sent mine today, how long do they take to get back to you?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Anisablue
Hi

Unfortunately I do not have the answers to some of your questions and I would just suggest you ring OU as they are really helpful.

I have just made an application for credit transfer and I just want to do the 3rd year. I did 2 years at uni on a social work degree cause 6 yrs ago.
I am looking to start OU in Oct 19 in ba hon Health and Social Care.
Did you have not had your certificate for the higher diploma you will get one and it will be honoured.

I got a higher national diploma in social studies for the 2 yrs I did.
Can I ask was the credit transfer straight forward As I literally just sent mine today, how long do they take to get back to you?

how are you finding the health and social care course?
Original post by nishaohemaaa
how are you finding the health and social care course?

Hi there
So yes and update my credit transfer took about 3 weeks which wasn’t to bad. They awarded me 120 credit (first yr only) for the heath and social care degree so that would mean I would have to do 2yrs at OU to get my degree

However they offered me 240
Credit towards a open degree so would only need to do 1 yr to get my degree

I chose the open degree as I just wanted to get all over and done with and close that chapter of my life
I choose my own modules and I’m currently doing social psychology and approaches to mental health.
I have enjoyed my experience with the OU and I have surprised myself how well I’m doing after not studying for years and studying full time along side a full time job. I am due to finish my degree at the end of May the time ha just flown by. I am predicted a 2:1
If anyone needs any help or has any question just give me a shout
Hi there
So yes and update my credit transfer took about 3 weeks which wasn’t to bad. They awarded me 120 credit (first yr only) for the heath and social care degree so that would mean I would have to do 2yrs at OU to get my degree

I chose the open degree as I just wanted to get all over and done with and close that chapter of my life
I choose my own modules and I’m currently doing social psychology and approaches to mental health.
I have enjoyed my experience with the OU and I have surprised myself how well I’m doing after not studying for years and studying full time along side a full time job. I am due to finish my degree at the end of May the time ha just flown by. I am predicted a 2:1

girl i’m just about passing first year , i dunno how i’m going to manage 2nd lol
Hi there

Hi
I was hoping to apply to either teach first or school direct or even a pgce and I am transferring credits to the open University to do an open degree. I am assuming you've graduated by now or almost there so if you could tell me a little about how your application for teach first went and if there's any confusion about an open degree.
Hi yes I graduated last year. Not too sure what your asking me the credit transfer was for a open undergraduate degree. Is that what you wana do or is it post graduate ?
Hi yes I graduated last year. Not too sure what your asking me the credit transfer was for a open undergraduate degree. Is that what you wana do or is it post graduate ?

Hi thank you for responding
I want to do an open degree with my transferred credit, but would like to become a teacher later. Did you/ are you having any problems with your open degree when Trying to become a teacher
I didn’t want to become a teacher I just wanted to get my degree. So I can’t give you any advice on that. However I do know that people was able to get on teaching causes with a open degree. It is a real degree and recognised
I didn’t want to become a teacher I just wanted to get my degree. So I can’t give you any advice on that. However I do know that people was able to get on teaching causes with a open degree. It is a real degree and recognised

Oh sorry your previous post mentioned teach first and I just assumed you wanted to bwcone a teacher. Yes I did read its a degree like any other and it's recognised, I just worry about about concept of an open degree as its not very traditional but its good to hear that people are not having a problem with them. Thank you very much this was very helpful

Quick Reply

Latest