The Student Room Group

QUB Medicine offer but i don't want to go

Hey guys so i applied to study medicine and got all my medicine interviews but (so far) i have been rejected from the 2 unis that i really wanted to go and im still waiting on one that i dont really want to go to. I have an offer for medicine at QUB but im not sure if i would like to go there cos i am a UK student and only applied as a sort of backup. idk what to do should i just go? But i don't want to feel lonely in ireland, im black too and... idk pls help im feeling really down about the whole thing,
thanks!
I'm from Belfast and currently final year student at ljmu and honestly you will love Belfast, and queens is such a good uni too, I'm doing my masters in the cancer research building
thats so cool! Aww how is it?? I am really big on diversity and stuff and social life so what would you say about ot in that regard? Wow cancer research sounds so cool man
So you are willing to give up a lifetime of working in medicine just because you don't want to (potentially) feel lonely?! It's common to be rejected from most universities when it comes to medicine. Be grateful that you got into medicine - the five years will fly by. You will make friends there.

But hey if that's what you want, it's your life... your call.
you're ungrateful and petty
Original post by bellacinderella
Hey guys so i applied to study medicine and got all my medicine interviews but (so far) i have been rejected from the 2 unis that i really wanted to go and im still waiting on one that i dont really want to go to. I have an offer for medicine at QUB but im not sure if i would like to go there cos i am a UK student and only applied as a sort of backup. idk what to do should i just go? But i don't want to feel lonely in ireland, im black too and... idk pls help im feeling really down about the whole thing,
thanks!
you're bitter and ignorant

but thanks xx
Original post by A Rolling Stone
you're ungrateful and petty
i mean, it might sound crazy but trust me theres a valid reason. but i see where you are coming from, thanks.
Original post by buddhainthesky
So you are willing to give up a lifetime of working in medicine just because you don't want to (potentially) feel lonely?! It's common to be rejected from most universities when it comes to medicine. Be grateful that you got into medicine - the five years will fly by. You will make friends there.

But hey if that's what you want, it's your life... your call.
ignore everyone else! i completely understand applying to unis considering diversity/racism as i did the same thing. i would say don’t dismiss it look into it a bit more, it may turn out to be the perfect uni for you! if not there’s always reapplying but medicine tends to be very similar at each uni!

sincerely a fellow med school applicant :smile:
To be honest, it actually does sound a bit crazy. At the end of the day you need to ask yourself - is studying medicine more important than any other factor? If it is then take this opportunity that you have been given, make the best of it and come out the other end flourishing.

I know it may be a tough call but trust me, this will be one of the easiest decisions you will have to make if you do end up going into medicine - this decision affects your life... your future decisions as a doctor will affect the lives of others, often significantly!

I don't want to sound like an arse but in life (after university when you are out working long hours and considering mortgages, repaying those student debts, starting (and finding the time to start) a family) this decision will seem like small potatoes. Sometimes the cold, hard truth needs to be faced.
i mean, it might sound crazy but trust me theres a valid reason. but i see where you are coming from, thanks.
thats so cool! Aww how is it?? I am really big on diversity and stuff and social life so what would you say about ot in that regard? Wow cancer research sounds so cool man

Belfast is very big on student life, obviously I'm not at uni there yet but even from living there, there's people from all over! The university area is a 10 minute walk into city centre, but it's on the Lisburn Rd which is full of shops and food places and bar! I've always been proud of where I'm from as we include everyone and know how to have a good time! Queens is THE uni everyone from Belfast wants to go, I was so upset I didn't meet the grades for my undergrad but here I am finished my Chemistry degree and finally getting to go!

Don't listen to these people, I was met with fear and anxiety when all of a sudden I had to pack up and move to Liverpool without knowing anyone, plus me and my mum are extremely close and it killed both of us but you adapt to everything, you'll be absolutely fine, plus you'll have medicine to keep you busy!
I know people who have moved half way around the world to study Medicine in countries where they don’t speak the language and don’t know the culture. Short answer is: they adapt because they’re committed and they want to pursue the career at all costs. What makes you different from any of those people?
I would just go there's no guarantee you get in next year of you put it off, unless you could defer a year. My best friend went to queens and I lived over in Belfast too for a year (I'm from Manchester). It's a great city and there are loads of Chinese students there!
maybe that they want to actually do it but i'm being pushed by my parents. don't speak on what you don't know sweetie
Original post by asif007
I know people who have moved half way around the world to study Medicine in countries where they don’t speak the language and don’t know the culture. Short answer is: they adapt because they’re committed and they want to pursue the career at all costs. What makes you different from any of those people?
maybe that they want to actually do it but i'm being pushed by my parents. don't speak on what you don't know sweetie

Either you’re being pushed into it by your parents or you want to do it for yourself, it can’t be both. If the latter was true you wouldn’t be on here asking these questions. If you don’t want to do Medicine then don’t. Simple. Make up your mind instead of going on the offensive.
You've clearly never been in such a situation, how cute! I can tell you, with deep regret, that it is not SimPLE, as to why I hold such an importance on other factors. I do not need your help anymore (to be fair, i never did). Please don't reply.
Original post by asif007
Either you’re being pushed into it by your parents or you want to do it for yourself, it can’t be both. If the latter was true you wouldn’t be on here asking these questions. If you don’t want to do Medicine then don’t. Simple. Make up your mind instead of going on the offensive.
Thanks for you help every one (except a few). After deep thought, I have decided to just go to QUB, hey, it might not be as bad as i perceive. Besides, after your lovely recounts and visiting (it was genuinely beautiful, the best exterior out of all my other choices and i felt a sense of community) i am satisfied. Lots of love xxx
Why do you think it will be bad? and Why do you assume you will be lonely?
Thanks for you help every one (except a few). After deep thought, I have decided to just go to QUB, hey, it might not be as bad as i perceive. Besides, after your lovely recounts and visiting (it was genuinely beautiful, the best exterior out of all my other choices and i felt a sense of community) i am satisfied. Lots of love xxx
You've clearly never been in such a situation, how cute! I can tell you, with deep regret, that it is not SimPLE, as to why I hold such an importance on other factors. I do not need your help anymore (to be fair, i never did). Please don't reply.

Listen, I don’t give a **** about you and your preconceptions about a place you’ve never been to before. What I’m encouraging you to do is think of the magnitude of what you would be giving up and the lasting repercussions it would have on your life if you were to be short sighted enough to give up an opportunity as big as Medicine because of a trivial issue like this.

Don’t ask for advice and then criticise it when it’s given to you. You just look like an immature idiot.
That's pretty mean dude..
Original post by asif007
Listen, I don’t give a **** about you and your preconceptions about a place you’ve never been to before. What I’m encouraging you to do is think of the magnitude of what you would be giving up and the lasting repercussions it would have on your life if you were to be short sighted enough to give up an opportunity as big as Medicine because of a trivial issue like this.

Don’t ask for advice and then criticise it when it’s given to you. You just look like an immature idiot.
I think your concern is understandable but i don't think you should write this offer off. You could be missing out on a genuinely great experience dude

Latest

Trending

Trending