The Student Room Group

On the pill - really bad side effects

I've just started taking Microgynon 30 recently (roughly 8 days ago) but I'm having really bad side effects.
I'm ratty pretty much all the time to the point that I feel my personality has completely changed, and I just generally feel very low. Also my boobs have gotten a lot bigger and I now have spots on my cheeks, but I had flawless skin before and rarely ever got spots. I'm also ravenous to the point that nothing fills me up.

I don't know if I should wait it out a bit longer to see if any of this clears and it gets better for me, or if I should come off it immediately and try to switch to another. Does anyone have any similar experiences or advice? Thank you
Original post by Anonymous
I've just started taking Microgynon 30 recently (roughly 8 days ago) but I'm having really bad side effects.
I'm ratty pretty much all the time to the point that I feel my personality has completely changed, and I just generally feel very low. Also my boobs have gotten a lot bigger and I now have spots on my cheeks, but I had flawless skin before and rarely ever got spots. I'm also ravenous to the point that nothing fills me up.

I don't know if I should wait it out a bit longer to see if any of this clears and it gets better for me, or if I should come off it immediately and try to switch to another. Does anyone have any similar experiences or advice? Thank you

It can take your body 3 months to get used to a pill. If you can, wait it out for at least 2 months. Your hormones have just suddenly changed and that's why you're experiencing all of these things. Be patient and give your body time to settle down.
Reply 2
It takes time. If you do not have any stomach problems or bowel it should be fine it sets slowly. But if it will take longer just in case see the doctor. Every body reacts differently.
Reply 3
Definitely takes time. The spots will go; I had the same thing, but your boobs will probably be quite sore. The appetite thing is definitely another side effect but that'll go with time too.
I had bad side effects when starting Microgynon as well so you're not alone. Mine were mostly emotion-based, I was so down and depressed for the first few weeks I couldn't stop crying but it did wear off after a while. I've actually found that my skin has got better in the long run since being on the pill as well. I would stick at it for a couple of weeks at least, the side effects may go away and if they don't you always have the option of switching to another pill.
(edited 5 years ago)
There are loads of contraceptive pills that you can try, so if you feel really unhappy with your current brand, then you can go back and ask your doctor to try a different one. Microgynon is known for causing side effects in lots of people, but it's also one of the cheaper brands which is why it's usually the default brand for the NHS.

You'll need to take all the pills in this cycle to get contraceptive protection, but you could switch to another pill straight after the break. There's no need to stick it out for three months if you are really unhappy with the side effects.
Reply 6
Thank you SO much for all of your replies!! It's so reassuring to know that it's not just me and also that I'm not over dramatising as I wasn't sure if my emotions being all over the place was a strange coincidence.
The nausea has gone down a bit as have the spots, but I'm still VERY moody. As many of you have suggested, I will stick it out for at least this month and see how I get on before deciding to switch if I do not improve.

Thank you :smile:
I would say if you ever decided to switch, don't come off it suddenly by yourself, talk to your GP or your pharmacist about it first, so that you are put on the right regime. Plus need to consider avoiding unprotected sex if you stop it suddenly by yourself

(Original post by Anonymous)
Thank you SO much for all of your replies!! It's so reassuring to know that it's not just me and also that I'm not over dramatising as I wasn't sure if my emotions being all over the place was a strange coincidence.
The nausea has gone down a bit as have the spots, but I'm still VERY moody. As many of you have suggested, I will stick it out for at least this month and see how I get on before deciding to switch if I do not improve.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by PlayerBB
I would say if you ever decided to switch, don't come off it suddenly by yourself, talk to your GP or your pharmacist about it first, so that you are put on the right regime. Plus need to consider avoiding unprotected sex if you stop it suddenly by yourself

(Original post by Anonymous)

Yep, I would go to my GP just before the cycle ends to discuss options :smile:
thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending