The Student Room Group

placements at Warwick

I'm an international student . How hard is to get a job after a BSc honours in economics from Warwick?
please help because I have an offer from Warwick and even though The course is amazing, but I have certain reservations about the placements for international students.
Original post by Harsh10
I'm an international student . How hard is to get a job after a BSc honours in economics from Warwick?
please help because I have an offer from Warwick and even though The course is amazing, but I have certain reservations about the placements for international students.

Placement is usually used to describe work experience you undertake whilst on the course, rather than the job you go on to do.

The stats shown here look pretty positive:
https://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/employment/10007163FT-U-L100/ReturnTo/Search although they don't specifically filter by international vs home.

Warwick is a well known/respected uni in the UK and economics is generally a course thought to have good employment prospects.

What makes you worried about not being able to find work after the course?
Reply 2
I got in contact with some International students and they had to go back to their as they didn't land a job in the UK. the policies also don't favor the international students. This worries me a lot.
Original post by Harsh10
I got in contact with some International students and they had to go back to their as they didn't land a job in the UK. the policies also don't favor the international students. This worries me a lot.

I'd suggest that this is probably a UK wide problem and not a problem specific to Warwick. It's generally easier for companies to employ people with the right to work in the UK, rather than needing a visa, and it can be difficult to get a visa on a entry level salary unless you work in a profession where there is a shortage of applicants. As the UK is currently in the EU, EU citizens also don't need visas, so there's usually not a shortage of applicants to chose from.

I definitely wouldn't come to the UK assuming it will be easy to find work in the UK after getting your degree- although things may be a bit easier after Brexit.

There are things you can do to make yourself more employable (such as gaining experience with UK based firms during your degree).

However if your plan is to find work in the UK after graduating, I would consider targeting a profession on the shortage list. The current list can be found here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-k-shortage-occupation-list
Reply 4
thanks for info man, Big help🙌

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending