The Student Room Group

My [18M] girlfriend [18F] is threatening our year and a half relationship

My [18M] girlfriend [18F] is threatening our year and a half relationship.

I’ve been with my girlfriend for around a year and a half now and i am very much in love with her. She’s one of the best things that is in my life right now and she’s threatening to break up and is mad at me because i went out drinking/clubbing with a friend [male].

This is one of my first times i have gone out clubbing and i did enjoy it and have fun, but my girlfriend said she’s very against it and she finds it ‘unattractive’. She said if i’m in a relationship i shouldn’t be going out getting drunk and going to clubs. Now i disagree with this as i’m just with my friends and i would never dance with / chat up / do anything with any other girls. She knows that i would never do anything like this too.

She said if i want to be with her i can’t go out drinking/clubbing with my friends but if i want to do that sort of stuff i need to break up with her. I don’t know what to do as i love her and would never want to break up with her but if i just push my friends to the side and never go out with them i might lose their friendships.

What should i do? Is she in the right? Should i not of gone drinking/clubbing with my friend and not do it if i’m in a relationship with her? Or is she over reacting and do i need to try to explain its harmless fun?
Reply 1
You do what you want to do rather than what she wants...within reason of course. If you want to go to a club then go for it and if she can’t understand that and allow you to, maybe she’s not the right one.
Reply 2
thanks for advice homie
Original post by Joe_01
You do what you want to do rather than what she wants...within reason of course. If you want to go to a club then go for it and if she can’t understand that and allow you to, maybe she’s not the right one.
Ask her why does she not want you going out drinking with friends.
Is it a problem with you: getting drunk, her not liking you going to clubs without her or her having issues with some of your friends.
She may feel different if she always comes with you and your friends.

If she just doesn't like any clubbing or alcohol and won't tolerate being in a relationship with a boyfriend who enjoys these things, there will be a clear choice between obeying her rules or ending the relationship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending