The Student Room Group

Should I study at UCL to save money or go to Bristol for the uni experience?

Scroll to see replies

Ultimately OP, I don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer as your university is a very personal choice.

They’re both very good institutions and whichever you go to you’ll get a first rate education.

It should just come down to whether you want to stay in London, save the money and be able to use that for later purposes or experience a new city, live on your own and get the life experience that Bristol would provide.

Personally I’d always advise moving away from home because it’s part of the maturation process but there’s not a wrong answer.
Original post by Wired_1800

UCL is one of the top unis in the UK and world. It is not a subjective matter but one of long established understanding.
What I tell people is to aim for the best uni they can possibly get into and would be fine attending.

For some people this is not a good predictor of either happiness or 'success'. Feeling under pressure and overwhelmed by work and 'I'm not as clever/able/confident' as all the other students can be a really bad experience. The impact can last a lifetime.

Applicants who focus only on nebulous things like 'reputation' / 'top Uni', are sometimes very disappointed when they get to their dream Uni and discover there are other things that mattered more.
Original post by returnmigrant
For some people this is not a good predictor of either happiness or 'success'. Feeling under pressure and overwhelmed by work and 'I'm not as clever/able/confident' as all the other students can be a really bad experience. The impact can last a lifetime.

Applicants who focus only on nebulous things like 'reputation' / 'top Uni', are sometimes very disappointed when they get to their dream Uni and discover there are other things that mattered more.

If one does not want to feel overwhelmed or insecure, then they should go to a rubbish uni. Attending a top uni will bring pressure and stress because you would be operating at a much higher level than at other unis.

The essence of an education at an elite institution is to stretch you beyond your comfort zone and challenge you to be more than you are. It is not to give you three or four years to drink, sleep and party.

This is the reason why some of the top unis continue to produce the leaders of society. It is not by chance.
Original post by Wired_1800
The point I made was that of overall university reputation and ranking. UCL is one of the top unis in the UK and world. It is not a subjective matter but one of long established understanding.

There's more to life than just league tables. Some people might not want to be in London, and even then the difference between UCL and Bristol is pretty small in terms of rankings, it's not like we're comparing UCL to some lousy ex-poly.
Reply 44
I think the 'uni experience' actually is very important. Sounds cliche but it will be one of the best periods of your life. I'm choosing Durham over LSE for that exact reason; I know someone who went to Imperial but dropped out after the first year because they had no social life.
Original post by jameswhughes
There's more to life than just league tables. Some people might not want to be in London, and even then the difference between UCL and Bristol is pretty small in terms of rankings, it's not like we're comparing UCL to some lousy ex-poly.

Of course. I agree that Bristol is a strong uni. I was making a point in relation to other factors that I felt favoured UCL over Bristol.
Those of you resorting to words like 'ex-Polys' and 'rubbish Unis' : you really will need to be able to argue/reason with more slightly rigorous evidence and maturity once you get to Uni. You'll find that 'I just assume', 'my dad says' or 'I've heard that' does not count for very much.

You will also discover that the type of Unis I think you are referring to, are well regarded by other Unis and academics. 'This Uni is 'better' than that Uni' type twaddle is the obsession only of 17 year old school leavers without any experience of the realities of academia.

There is no 'better than'. Different Unis for different people with different needs and comforts. Get used to it. The world would be a very boring place if everyone was the same.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending