The Student Room Group

My boyfriend doesn’t treat me with respect

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You deserve better, I am not here to break your relationship or something along the lines of this. But if he finds something funny that you do not really have much in common. If he does not understand social humor, then that is something that you should be attempting to talk about. He should have discussed with you, and made arrangements with you about travelling and leaving you on your own and/or not taking you with him to his grans. But, you should talk to him about this problem and improve the way that you discuss things. Make it more regular that you are arranging things together and making importnat decisions like this, so that you are both comfortable with this. Nobody, is forcing you to stay with him, but please do not make the mistake of not trying to fix issues before giving up on him. #Hang On In There

If you have anymore questions, please do not hesitate to ask!
Original post by Mellymai1998
I’ve been with my boyfriend for just over a year, I’m 20 he’s 21, our birthdays both in may. Since I met him I’ve known he’s socially abnormal, he doesn’t understand social cues and often offends people. He’s done several weird things like at the beginning of the relationship he would comment on my weight jokingly which I didn’t find funny, He eventually stopped after me asking but he makes “oooo” noises if we see someone pretty to irritate me, but most recently I was staying at his house for a few days while everyone else was away it was just us in the house. His mum asked him if he wanted to go to his grandmas for Sunday lunch and he said yes (didn’t tell me or ask me) after his night shift he got me a sandwich for while he was away and then the next day he went to his grandmas and left me at his house for 2 hours (I can’t drive) then we had to go to Kent to see his aunties, when his mum and dad got there they told everyone what he’d done and they were mortified and his own grandma asked me why I’m with him and I laughed and she said no seriously why are you putting up with this.. I explained to him I felt it was weird and it seems like he just didn’t want me there but he says he didn’t want to impose on his grandma which his own mother said is rubbish because she’s wouldnt of minded.. I’m not bothered about the dinner I’m bothered that he left me at his house like a dog and thinks he can pick me up and drop me when he wants.. if we go anywhere he doesn’t hold my hand or kiss me or hug me.. we got back today from Kent and he said he wants a break but not a proper break just time apart because he’s doing his uni work ready to finish in may and wants to be on the break till then (so will be missing each others birthdays which I find a weird thing to want to do) I keep hoping it will change if I keep telling him but I feel like maybe it won’t and I don’t know what to do
Reply 2
he sounds autistic not picking up on social cues n all
I have thought about that but he can be so horrible, he says he’s stressed but the things he does don’t seem related to stress they just seem horrible and unthoughtful.. the other week I unplugged his charger while he was driving because mine was on 2% and I didn’t see the problem as he always uses my charger without asking and he pulled the charger called me a dumb **** and flung my £1000+ phone at me
Original post by kkai
he sounds autistic not picking up on social cues n all
He can just be so vile to me and he says it’s stress because he’s got a lot of uni work but I mean the other day I unplugged his charger from his phone and plugged mine in (he always does this with my chargers and it doesn’t bother me) and he pulled the charger which pulled my phone off my lap and said I was a dumb **** and then flung my £1000+ phone at me and I went home and he only apologised on Facebook but wouldn’t do it in person
Original post by zufar_0113
You deserve better, I am not here to break your relationship or something along the lines of this. But if he finds something funny that you do not really have much in common. If he does not understand social humor, then that is something that you should be attempting to talk about. He should have discussed with you, and made arrangements with you about travelling and leaving you on your own and/or not taking you with him to his grans. But, you should talk to him about this problem and improve the way that you discuss things. Make it more regular that you are arranging things together and making importnat decisions like this, so that you are both comfortable with this. Nobody, is forcing you to stay with him, but please do not make the mistake of not trying to fix issues before giving up on him. #Hang On In There

If you have anymore questions, please do not hesitate to ask!
Reply 5
and he is still your 'boyfriend' why havent u dumped his ass...
I have thought about that but he can be so horrible, he says he’s stressed but the things he does don’t seem related to stress they just seem horrible and unthoughtful.. the other week I unplugged his charger while he was driving because mine was on 2% and I didn’t see the problem as he always uses my charger without asking and he pulled the charger called me a dumb **** and flung my £1000+ phone at me
there are SOO many people better out there. Think about it, in the long-term hes gonna leave you unhappy. Don't believe the sorries. Time is so valuable, use it on someone better. Idek why youre still in the relationship. Get out of it before its too late sis
I don't know about that maybe he is not treating you the way that you are wanting him too. He seems like he is a bully or he thinks that he has some kind of control over you. Does he not understand that relationships are based in commitment not dominance? Has he been in a relationship before?
Is that what you would do? I feel like I want to try and fix it people make mistakes I don’t know
Original post by kkai
and he is still your 'boyfriend' why havent u dumped his ass...
Does he have any history of mental health problems or anger management issues?
I used to know a guy who behaved in this way, he was on medication and had been sectioned twice by the age of 21.
Original post by zufar_0113
I don't know about that maybe he is not treating you the way that you are wanting him too. He seems like he is a bully or he thinks that he has some kind of control over you. Does he not understand that relationships are based in commitment not dominance? Has he been in a relationship before?

He was in a relationship before about 3 years ago with a girl who cheated on him a lot and he eventually left and worked in a really remote location in France where he didn’t have to deal with people and when he came back we got together
No he hasn’t got any mental health problems or anything like that, I have mental health problems but his family and him don’t
Original post by londonmyst
Does he have any history of mental health problems or anger management issues?
I used to know a guy who behaved in this way, he was on medication and had been sectioned twice by the age of 21.
and you said its been OVER a year into the relationship, thats a whole 12 months+. It would make sense for u to say u want to try and fix it if it was a 2 month relationship but this is unacceptable. You know more of the time people dont actually change and its the harsh truth, he just really doesnt know how to treat a girl, and i dont think he ever will because youve seen him do this on multiple occasions. If he was truly sorry he wouldn't even utter the word dumb *****.
Is that what you would do? I feel like I want to try and fix it people make mistakes I don’t know
Reply 13
I think I would have enough self-respect to break with a guy who treats me like absolute unwanted trash and I wouldn't want to further invest in him emotionally, people make mistakes but you don't deserve to be treated like a burden. I would rather be single than be with a man who doesn't prioritize me, our relationship and brings nothing to the table
I got out of an abusive relationship about 4 years ago and I stayed single for 3 years and became really strong and said I would never let anyone make me feel like this but now I’m sat begging someone for their affection and love and attention and I feel like I’m there again (without the abuse)

It's not your responsiblity to fix his problems, you deserve better imo (>_< )
his own grandma asked me why I’m with him and I laughed and she said no seriously why are you putting up with this...

Lmao my ex girlfriend's mum said something similar to me when I was on my own with her. She literally told me she didn't think the relationship was gonna last and that I deserve better. I should have took the hint cus she was trash :laugh: She ended up cheating on me with 3 of my friends.

But ye your boyfriend also sounds like immature trash, you should dump him so he can learn from his mistakes and grow a bit before he gets another girlfriend lol.
(edited 5 years ago)
I got out of an abusive relationship about 4 years ago and I stayed single for 3 years and became really strong and said I would never let anyone make me feel like this but now I’m sat begging someone for their affection and love and attention and I feel like I’m there again (without the abuse)

Ye I was like that with the girl I just mentioned lol. The relationship was abusive and I was depressed af so I never broke up with her even though I was always treated like ****.

That relationship is going to keep you miserable and you're just wasting your life right now. It's gonna take you a while to get over it as well so the sooner you break up the better. You've got some low self esteem to be staying in a relationship that bad.
(edited 5 years ago)
I agree that he sounds autistic in regard to not recognising social cues.

Having said that, I work with some autistic pupils in a school, and they are not nasty to other people just a little blunt or unaware of other people's needs and feelings. Even if he is on the autistic spectrum, that is no excuse for the appalling way he treats you.

I know it's easy for strangers on an internet forum to say, but I do think you should leave him. He will destroy your self esteem with his lack of respect and you don't deserve that.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 19
come to me ,the first come and first served .anyway and anyone out there looking for real loved no cheating just passion and caring

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending