The Student Room Group

Stuck in tenancy agreement /family

Hi,

I am seeking an advice.

In 2018 I decided to move out from parents cave and signed up a student accommodation tenancy agreement till July 2019 that started in September 2018. My initial plan was to stay there for a full academic year despite my partner and my child were staying in another country, because I am studying here and my plan was to join them as soon as I graduate. We were missing each other so much despite their visits here and mine there so we decided they will join me in UK and we'll stay here permanently. They arrived in January 2019 so obviously I had to physically move out from accommodation as we are not allowed to live there as a couple and a child in 1 room. We are now renting a 3 bedroom house so obviously we have tons of bills (we've been working full time since then).

And here is where it gets tricky - I am tied into student accommodation tenancy agreement till July and have only paid for the first term (September-January around £2000) and haven't paid nothing since then (got around £2500 outstanding debt and absolutely no funds to pay this off). There is no break clause. I've tried to find a replacement even offering the room for 50% but no luck. I've tried to speak to the manager of the accomodations to perhaps set up some low payment plan each week/month but what they want instead is over £210 each week and the just demand it by the end of the tenancy agreement date threating me with debt collectors etc. All I hear from them is "but you signed up a legal binding contract, you are obligated to pay it off".

I will not chose between my family and stupid accommodation if that's the case...

They don't understand that I have a family and we're living together in normal 2 bed house like normal family.

What should I do??

Thanks in advance!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by n0stie
Hi,

I am seeking an advice.

In 2018 I decided to move out from parents cave and signed up a student accommodation tenancy agreement till July 2019 that started in September 2018. My initial plan was to stay there for a full academic year despite my partner and my child were staying in another country, because I am studying here and my plan was to join them as soon as I graduate. We were missing each other so much despite their visits here and mine there so we decided they will join me in UK and we'll stay here permanently. They arrived in January 2019 so obviously I had to physically move out from accommodation as we are not allowed to live there as a couple and a child in 1 room. We are now renting a 3 bedroom house so obviously we have tons of bills (we've been working full time since then).

And here is where it gets tricky - I am tied into student accommodation tenancy agreement till July and have only paid for the first term (September-January around £2000) and haven't paid nothing since then (got around £2500 outstanding debt and absolutely no funds to pay this off). There is no break clause. I've tried to find a replacement even offering the room for 50% but no luck. I've tried to speak to the manager of the accomodations to perhaps set up some low payment plan each week/month but what they want instead is over £210 each week and the just demand it by the end of the tenancy agreement date threating me with debt collectors etc. All I hear from them is "but you signed up a legal binding contract, you are obligated to pay it off".

I will not chose between my family and stupid accommodation if that's the case...

They don't understand that I have a family and we're living together in normal 2 bed house like normal family.

What should I do??

Thanks in advance!

I'm afraid that you are obligated to pay the outstanding rent. There is no way around this, and if they have to take you to court to get the money, that's what they will do. Whether you have a family and other rent to pay is irrelevant, as you should have considered the implications of this before you moved out. They won't be sympathetic, as it was your choice to move out and then expect to pay nothing.

My advice would be to visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau, or even a solicitor, as you will need legal advice if the accommodation choose to escalate things to the courts.
Reply 2
Thanks for reply.

As far as Ii understand if I start coming to their office and paying low amount like £20/pw but on regular basis they can't go to court sa I am willing to pay 'something' right?
It's not that they don't understand. You wouldn't go into a restaurant, order a burger then just walk out after a few bites saying 'my partner is here we have to go elsewhere'. You contracted a service and you have to pay for it. Not paying could get you in serious trouble if you end up with a CCJ or something against you it will affect your credit score long term.
Original post by n0stie
Thanks for reply.

As far as Ii understand if I start coming to their office and paying low amount like £20/pw but on regular basis they can't go to court sa I am willing to pay 'something' right?

Is that an agreement you have in writing with your accommodation provider? If so, great. If not, you can't just decide how much you pay, it doesn't work like that. Paying only a small fraction of what they requested will mean that 1) as they haven't agreed to it, they are likely to escalate things due to your lack of compliance, and 2) it will take you many years to pay off your debt at that rate, which your accommodation provider will not accept.

I feel that you don't appreciate the legal severity of your situation. That's why I advised you to see a solicitor or visit the CAB in my previous post.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending