The Student Room Group

Questions For The Atheist

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eashdown17
Hi I’m an atheist so I’m glad to help! 1. I don’t believe a supernatural being created the earth or humans, I believe that it was all a massive coincidence that we exist due to the Big Bang happening in the right place at the right time. 2. It’s neither normal nor abnormal to wake up with different beliefs to the day before - that’s just life! As you grow up you change and your beliefs sometimes change too, so I may become religious when I’m older (unlikely at the moment). 3. Yes. I believe that when a body is buried they are just decomposing. When I die, this is why I want to be cremated. 4. I don’t really “worship” anything like religious people worship gods etc. I do have morals and beliefs that I’m connected to, but wouldn’t say I’m completely devoted to in the same way as religious people may be devoted to god! I have clear goals that I want to achieve, but I don’t worship them or anything else. 5. I do believe that my parents gave me life, because they literally did! They created me out of their own genetics and DNA. I don’t really understand what you mean when you say “so they can also do such thing when they die”? Hope this helped!

It's not like all atheists will believe exactly the same thing but having said that, I do believe exactly the same things as this person - apart from that I know I will never become religious in the future
Reply 41
Original post by Mohammed SaIah
I believe in Allāh (the one God worthy of worship). You mention Atheism which I don't really think exists. I am yet to come across an Atheist. I'm not very knowledgeable about Zeus. If he is a man that you worship or take as a God I could understand easily why I would reject such belief because it isn't a part of my belief to attribute such to the one God (Allāh) who is far above what they say about Him.

How can you think Atheism doesn't exist? We are here telling you we don't have any belief that any god exists which is the definition of atheism.
I am "the Atheist" and I am here to speak for all Atheists.

1. No
2. It's normal to be sceptical and constantly challenge your assumptions, but on the whole, no
3. Yes
4. Yes it is possible not to worship anything/anyone
5. What even

To summarise, those were some impressively retarded questions.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 43
I believe in Allāh (the one God worthy of worship). You mention Atheism which I don't really think exists. I am yet to come across an Atheist. I'm not very knowledgeable about Zeus. If he is a man that you worship or take as a God I could understand easily why I would reject such belief because it isn't a part of my belief to attribute such to the one God (Allāh) who is far above what they say about Him.

There have been thousands of Gods created by humans throughout history and you believe in one of these Gods so you are not an atheist.
An atheist believes in none of these Gods, so an atheist believes in one fewer God than you do.
I hope that explains things.
I believe in Allāh (the one God worthy of worship). You mention Atheism which I don't really think exists. I am yet to come across an Atheist.

You've come across several on this thread alone.

And if you don't mix with many people outside your own religion in real life, you should open your eyes more to the benefits of being open minded. I'm an atheist but I live in a multi cultural city and happily mix with people of all different religions at work and in my friendship group
Evidence is being demanded yet you choose not to give an example of evidence that will suffice? Also, if we are talking about evidence then what is your evidence for denying your creator, knowing how death is despite you not having experienced it, and equating the feeling of being born to dieing. You would probably just say it is your belief.

I told you I need empirical eveidence. Any test that can be recreated that yield the same results I will accept.

I do not deny a creator. My parents procreate me. In terms of a deity, I cannot prove she is not real as you cannot prove a negative.

It's true I cannot equate not being born to death, but biology tells me the lack of electrical impulses in the brain dictate feeling. Not being born and being dead therefore have that in common.
I personally wouldn't agree with this. Of course man will always want certainty. I believe in a day where everything will be clear and man will remember but the question to then ask is what good will his rememberance be then? As for burden of proof the argument will go on and on.
Original post by LegitDragoNinja
Can't say much about life after death but for evidence on denying the creator you're simply shifting the burden of proof(Bertrand Russell has a good analogy for this). Simply the lack of evidence for a creator is enough evidence to conclude that there is no creator.
I can't really grasp that because I believe in a sort of inner aspect to us which leaves us always believing in God though we might ignore, disobey or be influenced as we grow older. Atheism seems like wishful thinking. I don't think I have come across an Atheist. A person claiming to be Atheist means little. I think it is Misotheism that is common. People making judgements like why does Allāh do such and such which doesn't take away from his existence but is merely opinions on attributes.
Original post by TheRealSquiddy
An atheist by definition is a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in a god. I lack belief in a God, therefore I am an atheist.

Is that so hard to understand?
I personally wouldn't agree with this. Of course man will always want certainty. I believe in a day where everything will be clear and man will remember but the question to then ask is what good will his rememberance be then? As for burden of proof the argument will go on and on.

?

The burden of proof will not go on - atheists have nothing to prove - rather it is theists who need to justify the existence of an omniscient, omnipotent, omnibenevolent creator who we can't see hear or touch.
I can't really grasp that because I believe in a sort of inner aspect to us which leaves us always believing in God though we might ignore, disobey or be influenced as we grow older. Atheism seems like wishful thinking. I don't think I have come across an Atheist. A person claiming to be Atheist means little. I think it is Misotheism that is common. People making judgements like why does Allāh do such and such which doesn't take away from his existence but is merely opinions on attributes.

Clearly you've been indoctrinated by your parents into Islam from a young age and as a result you are now clinically retarded.

You say everyone wants certainty but then it's atheism that's wishful thinking, give me a break.

Get help.

That may be your belief, but I'm telling you, it's not true, I vehemently deny the existence of a God, in fact I have gone out of my way to prove one doesn't exist at times.

I don't hate God or any God's I just completely deny their existence. Do you see the difference?
I know very little about the Atheist. Do help me.

1. Do Atheists believe a thing with no conscious, will or choice created them and that which they see all around them?

2. Is it normal for Atheists to wake up one day not believing in a God and then wake up another day with belief of one?

3. When a person passes away and they are in their grave do Atheists believe that such person is merely being rearranged (decomposition). For example, if a person's mother or another relative passed away would this belief be constant?

4. What do Atheists worship? If not anything I would like to ask is it possible for a person to not worship anything?

5. Do Atheists believe that their parents 'gave them' life so their parents can also do such thing when they die?

1) I believe that I was born. My parents had sex and I was born. Nothing complicated to it.
2) I will never believe in a god so nope.
3) I believe in reincarnation. Idk if that counts.
4) I worship science.
5) My parents gave me life i.e. gave birth to me. Nothing more.

You seem to hold a disposition that denying the existence of something means that one must hate or dislike the object whose existence is being debated. This is simply not true. I deny the existence of Batman but I don't hate Batman (well maybe the Batman v Superman Batman but u get the idea).
Interesting thread.
Reply 54
I know very little about the Atheist. Do help me.

1. Do Atheists believe a thing with no conscious, will or choice created them and that which they see all around them?

2. Is it normal for Atheists to wake up one day not believing in a God and then wake up another day with belief of one?

3. When a person passes away and they are in their grave do Atheists believe that such person is merely being rearranged (decomposition). For example, if a person's mother or another relative passed away would this belief be constant?

4. What do Atheists worship? If not anything I would like to ask is it possible for a person to not worship anything?

5. Do Atheists believe that their parents 'gave them' life so their parents can also do such thing when they die?

1. No. Choice and will on the part of the participants shaped my own conception, that of my ancestors, the evolution of most things back down my timeline, and the placement of most things I see (houses, trees, etc). But I believe the 'building blocks' for everything I am and that I see, that is the stuff the solar system coalesced out of in the first place, came together without any conscious choice.

2. No. Some who believes part-time is not an atheist.

3. Yes.

4. Nothing. And yes - I believe worshipping nothing is the default position for a human/any animal. Only those taught to worship something do so.

5. Not just my parents - every ancestor I have 'gave me life'. I don't believe any 'life giving' occurs upon death.
I'll answer as an atheist
1) I don't believe anyone specifically created life. I believe it only evolved on our planet due to the resources available and the distance from the sun, this rare condition is why it has only happened on our planet.

2) No, it's not normal lol, I have never believed there was a god ever

3) I believe when you die you're, your body just decomposes, nothing else

4) We worship nothing, literally nothing

5) I do believe my parents gave me life, but have no clue what you mean by the rest of your sentence

I’ve got to chuckle at the guy who says atheism is wishful thinking when as a Muslim, he’s the one who thinks he’ll be resurrected and spend eternity in a land with rivers of milk and honey and have 72 transparent virgins at his disposal.

On the other hand, atheism basically “asserts” that we’re no more special than anything else and that when we die nothing magical happens, so how on Earth is that wishful thinking?
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
how on Earth is that wishful thinking?

It demonstrates how Islam is a religion built on fear - fear of something nasty happening to you if you do not knuckle under, worship as commanded and believe. That fear, coupled with the fear of earthly punishments for those that become apostates, permeates the thinking of those who have been indoctrinated. He thinks that we are being wishful in believing that such punishments will not come our way in a supposed afterlife.

I'm just sorry that the moment of realisation, which requires an afterlife for it to occur, will not come to these people. They will disappear to oblivion and never realise how much time they have wasted, how much fear has been needless, how muich harm they have done through superstition.
Original post by Good bloke
It demonstrates how Islam is a religion built on fear - fear of something nasty happening to you if you do not knuckle under, worship as commanded and believe. That fear, coupled with the fear of earthly punishments for those that become apostates, permeates the thinking of those who have been indoctrinated. He thinks that we are being wishful in believing that such punishments will not come our way in a supposed afterlife.

I'm just sorry that the moment of realisation, which requires an afterlife for it to occur, will not come to these people. They will disappear to oblivion and never realise how much time they have wasted, how much fear has been needless, how muich harm they have done through superstition.

Almost makes me wish (:wink:) that there was an afterlife of some kind just so that they could realise how wrong and wasteful their lives were
Reply 59
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Almost makes me wish (:wink:) that there was an afterlife of some kind just so that they could realise how wrong and wasteful their lives were

You sound a little petty.
I completely agree. I wish theee was a 10 minute after life so we could just check a few things before moving on to eternal nothing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending