The Student Room Group

Asking ladies: what should I do if I'm going bald?

Hair loss sucks and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. I'm 21 and my hair is noticeably thinning at the top and a little on the sides. I feel like it covers most of my head at its current length still but I'm worried. Not sure it I should shave it as don't think I could rock the shaved head but I just want to know what women think is best for a guy in my position.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Embrace it
Tbh a reciding hairline is worse then having a shaven head
Original post by Anonymous
Hair loss sucks and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. I'm 21 and my hair is noticeably thinning at the top and a little on the sides. I feel like it covers most of my head at its current length still but I'm worried. Not sure it I should shave it as don't think I could rock the shaved head but I just want to know what women think is best for a guy in my position.

Leave it and try not to be bothered by it much. My other half has thinning hair on the top of his head and he's in his 20s, it doesn't bother me or him. It's normal and natural for some guys to lose their hair and some just start the process earlier than others.
Reply 4
I know I should but still want to have my hair at this point. I know hair plugs or possibly a transplant might work but its expensive and no guarentee it will last...
Original post by Rai258
Embrace it
Reply 5
I know I should but still having a hard time accepting it and hoping theres something I can do to stop it. I feel like I can afford hair plugs but is that something women will notice?
Original post by DrawTheLine
Leave it and try not to be bothered by it much. My other half has thinning hair on the top of his head and he's in his 20s, it doesn't bother me or him. It's normal and natural for some guys to lose their hair and some just start the process earlier than others.
I know I should but still having a hard time accepting it and hoping theres something I can do to stop it. I feel like I can afford hair plugs but is that something women will notice?

I'm not sure to be honest. It's likely a genetic thing as well so there may not be much you can do about it. It could be worth popping to your doctor and seeing if there is anything they can recommend for you seeing as it is affecting you now.
Reply 7
I know I should but still want to have my hair at this point. I know hair plugs or possibly a transplant might work but its expensive and no guarentee it will last...

I personally, would use them shampoos which are used to strengthen hair, they make your hair look visibly thick, I know since my mate uses these types of shampoo. Other then that, you could perhaps take biotin from your local drug store, like Holland and barret, biotin helps hair grow and stronger nails and stuff.
Reply 8
Good to know, I think I'll try that. Yeah one of my friends told me biotin works well and that she takes it every day because her hair is pretty thin, though not falling out. I'm just kind of freaking out about whether girls will still find me attractive if I do go bald and hope I can figure something out :/
Original post by Rai258
I personally, would use them shampoos which are used to strengthen hair, they make your hair look visibly thick, I know since my mate uses these types of shampoo. Other then that, you could perhaps take biotin from your local drug store, like Holland and barret, biotin helps hair grow and stronger nails and stuff.
Reply 9
Well my hair is thinning mostly at the top and not the front so its not as noticeable but its still visible. I can cover it for the most part with my other hair but I've hear the comb over is not very popular in general.
Tbh a reciding hairline is worse then having a shaven head
Reply 10
Good to know, I think I'll try that. Yeah one of my friends told me biotin works well and that she takes it every day because her hair is pretty thin, though not falling out. I'm just kind of freaking out about whether girls will still find me attractive if I do go bald and hope I can figure something out :/

Even if you do go bald, it is inevitable if its genetic. It's not as if once your bald you can't get a partner. But try and embrace it. It may be due to stress, in which case thinking about these 'what if' scenarios can influence balding.
True enough, I guess my confidence is just a bit shot as I've totally had girls reject me due to my hair. I can see its not as big a deal when I'm older as its more common then but I really hate losing my hair this young :/ My sister has been saying I should do deal with it since I started thinning so maybe I will just take the plunge and shave it off
Original post by Rai258
Even if you do go bald, it is inevitable if its genetic. It's not as if once your bald you can't get a partner. But try and embrace it. It may be due to stress, in which case thinking about these 'what if' scenarios can influence balding.
I did ask my doctor once and she said male pattern baldness is hereditary and that testosterone plays a big part in it. I gave her a call and yeah she pretty much said its genetic and theres not really anything I can do :frown: so yeah idk what to do, it really sucks. (Original post by DrawTheLine)
I'm not sure to be honest. It's likely a genetic thing as well so there may not be much you can do about it. It could be worth popping to your doctor and seeing if there is anything they can recommend for you seeing as it is affecting you now.
Bald is hot - and shaved is a better look to large missing patches.
My cousin started losing his hair at 18, he shaved it all off as soon as it was more noticeable. His father lost his hair very young too, so I guess he was “prepared” for it. Although he was of course disheartened about the whole situation. I wasn’t sure how he would look bald, but he looks good! He still gets girls and no one says anything rude about it.

There’s not really anything you can do if you’re naturally losing your hair at this age, I would suggest just shaving it, take control of it. Personally I think that a shaven head is better than a receding hairline.

You won’t know until you do it. You may not like it at first but after a bit you’ll get used to it.

To be honest I don’t really care if a guy has hair or not, if someone takes control of their situation and has a little bit of confidence over it, it’s really attractive.
But I like bald guys anyway (:
I started losing a lot of my hair at 20 (now I'm 24 and there's no hair around my crown and my hairline has receded plenty). Honestly, best thing to do is to embrace it, as someone said. And as far as hair products and special shampoos that claim to help you grow your hair back, you might as well take them and pour them straight down the sink.
perhaps check with a doctor? it could be happening because of a condition who knows??
You're probably right, I have a receding hair line but should probs just get rid of it. My mom said all the male pattern baldness os common in our family and starts early so don't think theres much I can do to fight it. It sucks going bald but as you said probably best to take control of the situation.
My cousin started losing his hair at 18, he shaved it all off as soon as it was more noticeable. His father lost his hair very young too, so I guess he was “prepared” for it. Although he was of course disheartened about the whole situation. I wasn’t sure how he would look bald, but he looks good! He still gets girls and no one says anything rude about it.

There’s not really anything you can do if you’re naturally losing your hair at this age, I would suggest just shaving it, take control of it. Personally I think that a shaven head is better than a receding hairline.

You won’t know until you do it. You may not like it at first but after a bit you’ll get used to it.

To be honest I don’t really care if a guy has hair or not, if someone takes control of their situation and has a little bit of confidence over it, it’s really attractive.
But I like bald guys anyway (:
fair point, I think I'll end up doing that, just kind of bummed that I have to this young :/
Original post by sinfonietta
Bald is hot - and shaved is a better look to large missing patches.
Reply 19
You're not really asking the correct people in all honesty.

HairLossTalk is good forum.

Use finasteride, it works wonders.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending